Too much TIME not enough MONEY OR too much MONEY not enough TIME?

Too much TIME not enough MONEY OR too much MONEY not enough TIME?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Go.Fish

I’ve had this dilemma in life a few times in life....When I work a good paying job the hours are crazy and I don’t have enough time to fish. So I take a job which allowed way more fishing time however I don’t make enough to pay for it.
Take what you spend on fishing and just buy fish from the grocery store? My fridge and freezer would be FULL many times over

It’s time for a career change and I can’t decide what route to go

After paying for fuel, moorage, repairs, tackle, snacks etc I now have a boat sitting in the water ready to go. However I can’t afford the fuel in this city to go fishing. It’s like a dream come true, if I had more funds

Does anyone else feel the same way? Maybe I need rich friends

If you’re married with kids and a mortgage in this province, you’re pretty muched fu..ed no matter what career decision you make. If you’re single and can move around for work, you still may have some life left in you.

Enjoy whatever you can afford because in a few years there may not be much left in the ocean for us.

Work is a barter. You are bartering your time (as well as skills) for someone else's money. For most people when we are young we have lots of time (decades of life ahead of us) but little money so we gladly trade time for money. As we age most people begin to acquire "enough" money and begin to see that there is not nearly enough time left and so we either require more money for our time or decide that our time has become too priceless to sell.

One thing that is true for all of us no matter how much money one may have, our time is finite and is one of the most precious commodities that you have. Sell it and/or use it wisely because the clock never runs backwards.

Last edited:
My busy time of year for work is the summer. I lay vinyl decking. I have to work like crazy to get ahead of the game in order to make more fishing time for multi day fishing trips. The money hasn't been an issue as I know what it's going to cost well in advance so I just put away the money I need for it. This is the first summer that I am actually able to take some prime time off of work to get in a few days out at Barkley Sound. I just have to make the most of it.

I have no mortgage, no debt, and no time from Sept-June, so I travel to fish a lot in July and August. When I have more time, the pension may not cover a bigger boat and the associated increased costs.
Hoping to downsize the house by $150,000 to fix all that in a few years. Or work part time for play money after retirement.

Whether it is working and making money or maximizing leisure time, we need to think hard about what brings us the most satisfaction, and pursue that. This isn't a dress rehearsal; there are no do-overs. And, above all, never look back at what might have been. No good can come of that.

I don't own a boat that is capable of fishing the deeper / bigger salt, so I depend on a couple of buddies who have such boats. Like many here, they are busy with their own lives and they (and I) don't get to fish as much as we want. When I do get the chance to go out with them, I don't mind spending $50.00 - $75.00 for gas and incidentals to help defray some costs for a few hours of fishing.

Luckily, I am one of the more fortunate ones, as I know people who would love to get out and fish, but cannot afford a boat and the related expenses. A friend of mine, who is an experienced sport fisher asked on a couple of FB groups if anyone wanted to take him out - and yes, he offered to help pay expenses etc. Not one person took him up on his request - yet many still bemoan they cannot afford to get their boats out...

I took the red pill and couldn't be happier.

If I really wanted to, I could go fishing any day I want. **** I have a good life...

Retired now. Fish 40+ days plus a year. And believe me thats a lot. Might have to get a part time job at some point tho to re-power the boat. Wife has no clue what I spend on this fricking boat and gets hard to hide sh*t when you're retired. Make sure you make a fool of yourself more often. You only go around once and you want to minimize regrets.

Time is a issue. I work alot as a welding contractor and get last minute calls to weekends as well. On days off i have to keep up with yard work and house maintanace. The days i can get off weather or finding someone else to go usually keeps the boat on the trailer. Only had the boat out 4 times this year and 3 of those was up at stave lake fishing kokanee. On the plus side rarely get 40hrs on the boat a year so the new strokeronly has 87 hrs on it!

It's hard for me to vote in this no real category for me. In all honesty I don't have to much money but enough, time ? for the last 6 years I have pretty much worked a 2 week on 2 week off shift. When Im at work I'm gone from home. Our yard takes up a huge amount of my time when I'm home. We have 70 acres of land, we don't do much with the land it's just private hunting grounds but we run a huge yard. We cut around 3 acres of grass, big garden the wife has flowers like you can't emagine, close to 50 trees just in the yard ( about 30 of the 70 acres is all bush ) I have a big shop to keep clean and organized. I could have more time for fishing but I have to spread my time out. For myself between open water fishing and ice fishing I probably spend around 30 days a year fishing. I have a very good paying job, I'm a Wellsite Drilling Supervisor as such I'm a contractor with my own company with right offs there. The wife and I are in a good position for our age early 50's as such I have decided to take the plunge and buy a bigger boat for the coast we plan on spending more time there over the coming years so we figure may as well get the boat now while I'm working and making good money so we can pay it off quick and have it for when we retire. What's the point in having money if you don't enjoy it. We all see time and again people that save and save for retirement, buy themselves their dream what ever and 2 years later get sick and can't enjoy it. Not this cat, I'm young , healthy I'm going to try my best to enjoy the fruits of my labour while I can. I'd rather die with little money and had experiences and lots of stories as die with money and have no experiences and nothing but work stories,, that's bull ****, not this cat.

I’m fortunate to be able to take Leave Without Pay up to 5 weeks. Add a couple of weeks of vacation time and I’m off for 7 weeks to hang out with my young sons and fish for most of the summer. I’ve been fishing 4-6 days a week :) with and without the boys. Bank account isn’t that great but sure having a great time with the kids while my wife is going to work :rolleyes:

When your number comes up.... no one ever wished they worked harder or longer to make more money.

Last edited:
There was a time when first starting out... career and family... when time and money were both in short supply. In order to make the money condition better there are increasing work responsibilities with additional constraints on time. I cannot speak from experience but I assume that it works similarly the other way with "making the time condition better requires some constraints on the money." After a long career, finally arrived... money not a problem and time is wide open. Now the issue is finding those in a similar position to share the experience with and enjoying it all... still planning that part out.

Now retired on disability , so :
early adulthood , simply played hard when money was there, when times got tough moved to where work would be.. worked hard , gambled in Jobs or business plenty, high risk high reward .. in the end you lose, or I did. marriage, several near death injuries and situations.. flat broke. , wife etc. Paid the dues that were owing.

late thirties
inherited, my brother's kids, schooled them through college and into young adulthood, fortunately with a new to be and still is wife, we worked as a team. A tamer suburbia life, worked 6 to 8-9 most days , little time or money to play. We put the kids through school, put everything else into mortgage , seldom took holidays .

Then we both took a serious of hits health wise, then I had a serious accident at work, ( this cat has more than 7 lives). FACTCHECK: you do not bounce back in your 50's as you would in your 20-30's. What toys I had managed to gather, gone to pay house and basic living, as no wages for over 2 yrs + medical costs while we fought WCB.

Back on the feet; and busy with work ( both of us ) burnt the mortgage... then same yr both the wife and I , had serious heart attacks and big C.. sold up , young uns had a family intervention ..

Now
So wife mid 50's me mid 60's , we are just about fit enough to get by day by day, no toys yet other than a new house being completed, and a new home in CR.
lowered expectations on ability , gathering basic toys..

Moral: do not expect that life is like a straight line graph, and that because today things are good or bad , does not mean that they will stay that way..perhaps had I/we found that cookie cutter life .. there again ..

Now retired on disability ... enough to get by day by day... so :Moral:

Man this is a serious story for a lot of young people to learn from. I'm sure its going to be a harder go the older and older you get. Too many young people are setting themselves up now for this sort of situation later in life. I see so many people in their mid 20s to 30s that have lifestyles that are subsidized by their parents wealth or who take on too much debt to keep up with the others. I once had a 20something kid in a fishing shop try to sell me a new Islander TR3 I was admiring. Yeah, sorry kid, I've got a mortgage and RRSPs to worry about. Its the Grasshopper and Ant fable that rings too true. Nobody expects their health to go or to be laid up with an injury for an extended period of time. But it happens and its a harsh reality for a lot of people. You've gotta work hard, be smart financially, and keep money in the bank to build savings for later in life.

Without me and my dad splitting expenses I would be on the river flossing, He's retired, I am working but have a flexible job. Each outing can cost between 100-200 bucks. Parking, Fuel, lunch, Toeing the boat though the lower mainland eats up about as much gas in the SUV as the boat does once on the water. ect.. 135 hp mec optimax, pretty decent on fuel

He puts alot of sweat equity and money into the boat, After every time complete wash with soap, Flush the main and the kicker, Grease up the trailer bearings (every second time), washes all the gear down (rods., downriggers,net, fashers, hoochies,spoons. Retie's any of the gear that needs tying, Removes the GPS, VHF handheld, Life jackets, Fishing boxes, Cleans the cooler out, Plugs the battery into the trickle charger and stores in garage ect.. All this takes between an hour to 4 hours each outing. I certainly do not have that kind of time.

I am truly blessed to have a fishing partner to split expenses with.

It's hard for me to vote in this no real category for me. In all honesty I don't have to much money but enough, time ? for the last 6 years I have pretty much worked a 2 week on 2 week off shift. When Im at work I'm gone from home. Our yard takes up a huge amount of my time when I'm home. We have 70 acres of land, we don't do much with the land it's just private hunting grounds but we run a huge yard. We cut around 3 acres of grass, big garden the wife has flowers like you can't emagine, close to 50 trees just in the yard ( about 30 of the 70 acres is all bush ) I have a big shop to keep clean and organized. I could have more time for fishing but I have to spread my time out. For myself between open water fishing and ice fishing I probably spend around 30 days a year fishing. I have a very good paying job, I'm a Wellsite Drilling Supervisor as such I'm a contractor with my own company with right offs there. The wife and I are in a good position for our age early 50's as such I have decided to take the plunge and buy a bigger boat for the coast we plan on spending more time there over the coming years so we figure may as well get the boat now while I'm working and making good money so we can pay it off quick and have it for when we retire. What's the point in having money if you don't enjoy it. We all see time and again people that save and save for retirement, buy themselves their dream what ever and 2 years later get sick and can't enjoy it. Not this cat, I'm young , healthy I'm going to try my best to enjoy the fruits of my labour while I can. I'd rather die with little money and had experiences and lots of stories as die with money and have no experiences and nothing but work stories,, that's bull ****, not this cat.

Walleyes I am in the same boat, lol early 50's, bought the Kingfisher now so I don't have to buy it when I am retired. This is my 3rd welded aluminum boat, the other 2 I sold for what I paid for them after using the for 6 to 8 years.
We wanted a light boat with good accommodations and the Kingfisher had what we wanted, although a Wolf Boat would have been better the cost was prohibitive for us.
We fish the coast 2 weeks every year and occasionally Cold Lake or Wab for a weekend, but when we retire we are ready for summers on the coast.

So I would have to say not enough money and not enough time

Without me and my dad splitting expenses I would be on the river flossing, He's retired, I am working but have a flexible job. Each outing can cost between 100-200 bucks. Parking, Fuel, lunch, Toeing the boat though the lower mainland eats up about as much gas in the SUV as the boat does once on the water. ect.. 135 hp mec optimax, pretty decent on fuel

He puts alot of sweat equity and money into the boat, After every time complete wash with soap, Flush the main and the kicker, Grease up the trailer bearings (every second time), washes all the gear down (rods., downriggers,net, fashers, hoochies,spoons. Retie's any of the gear that needs tying, Removes the GPS, VHF handheld, Life jackets, Fishing boxes, Cleans the cooler out, Plugs the battery into the trickle charger and stores in garage ect.. All this takes between an hour to 4 hours each outing. I certainly do not have that kind of time.

I am truly blessed to have a fishing partner to split expenses with.
same..... Mine doesn't put the sweat in but does help every other way.....

Been doing shift work, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off for the last 15 years. Totally addicted to the lifestyle. No way am
I going back to Monday to Friday, it’s the perfect balance for us.

Sometimes work and play can mix together to make for a good time. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I lay vinyl decking. As good fortune would have it, I have a small vinyl job to do on Sunday in Port McNeill. My boss has a cabin on Victoria Lake near Port Alice. After I am done the job I have, we are going to stay at my bosses cabin and then spend two days fishing at Winter Harbour. This is one of these times I love my job. Three hours of work and two days of fishing, then I come back home, and get ready to leave for Bamfield on Friday.

Back