Tales From The Tyee Pool........2018

Glad you're home safe and sound and you're right, missed it by this much...................LOL

Good to see you again and maybe again next year too.

So last night, Sunday, saw me fall once again into the trap of getting too close to the bar on a strong ebb current.

I wanted to get into a certain position at or before a certain time but blew it badly and spent a fruitless half hour rowing like a demented Ichabod Crane on speed trying to extricate myself from where I did not want to be.

The problem is that you have 40' of water all moving along northward that suddenly encounters a rapidly shallowing bar where it's only 16 or 18 feet deep.

Given water can't jump into the air to maintain its depth it has to increase in speed to carry the volume onward so it speeds up quickly.

Sort of a big Venturi Effect if you will and a bad thing to get stuck in.

Eventually the current lay down a bit and I managed a few decent passes but nothing loved us last night and in general it was quieter than the previous two evenings for sure.

No new Tyee to report unless one snuck in during the day earlier but I'm taking out my rookie who had one on two nights ago with the fervent hope the Tyee Gods smile on us and we get a second chance tonight.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Take care.

10:30 PM Monday night and I'm pondering what evil have I done that has angered the Tyee God as tonight brought a near perfect repeat of two nights ago when my gal pal broke off on a fish of undetermined size. She's a raw rookie and had never fought a large fish with a single action knuckle-buster reel, so I couldn't really be upset about it that time.

But tonight brought the same sad conclusion as we hooked up just at 9:00 or so but only stayed connected for perhaps five minutes before an ill-timed grab of a reel handle just as the fish shook violently left us with a slack line and then quickly in hot pursuit of the escapee plug now heading north on the ebb.

I thought hooking her up to a large Cabezon earlier in the evening had given her enough practise on the reel but obviously I was wrong.

The Cabezon came about because Bob Main caught one last night and was claiming leadership in the annual King Of The Cabezons Derby, obviously a claim from a poser/pretender/wannabe as it's been well-known amongst a small but elite group of my angling friends that I am the King Of The Cabezons from several years ago when I rowed the fetching Sharon K to a lovely Cabezon on the last day of the season.

So, I had to put him in his place tonight by getting my rod-holder into a much larger and better looking Cabezon, which I then deftly gaffed in a non-lethal manner and extricated the hook without ever touching the fish.

Bob had a scar on his hand from the one he wrestled into submission last night and whined about how difficult it was to unhook when we talked this morning. :p

I think it bit him. :D

Anyway, Jules LaCroix rowed himself to a 31 pounder earlier this evening, so we have six Tyee on the board now. Here's Jules and his fish.

DSCF0486-300x267.jpg

Jules has made a really neat 52 minute DVD on fishing the Tyee Pool featuring a ton of Go-Pro underwater stuff as well as lots of POV action from the rowers seat and they are for sale at the Tyee Clubhouse with proceeds going to the Tyee Club towards the goal of building a new Clubhouse. $20.00 each and what you'll see will amaze you, plus you'll learn a lot about fishing the pool and what happens underwater around your plug or spoon.

Two NPS thumbs up from me and I recommend it highly.

Take care.

Last edited:
Thanks Kildonan, but I'm way too undisciplined to attempt seriously writing, not to mention I know several real writers and know my place in that pecking order of talent and skill, so no career for me in that field for sure.

And, sadly, my career as a rower may be coming to an end soon, given what I endured this morning. :rolleyes:

The humiliation, I mean.

During an exchange of texts last night with one of my pals he asked if it was possible my line was old and weak, like me.

I have such a strong memory of putting brand new line on a Longstone last year that I immediately discounted that theory, clearly recalling that the new line had cost just about $45.00 too.

So it couldn't be the line.

And then, after last nights repetition of a break-off, I took a closer look. I have two identical Richmake rods each with a Hardy Longstone and I really hadn't paid that much attention to which unit we were using both nights. Turns out it was the unit with my older Longstone and I began to think about whether I'd changed line last year on it, or not.

So, when my gal pal rod-holder showed up for our morning walk today I met her holding the reel we'd used last night.

Naturally, she asked why I had it so I explained that it was possible I'd actually been the reason she'd broken off twice in the past three nights and I was taking the reel to the Tyee Clubhouse so Bob could test the line while I observed.

Perhaps I shouldn't have had her with me when Bob tested the line because it was weak for sure, breaking long before even moving the test weight, which is 26 1/2 lbs.

Good line breaks just as it's about to lift the weight.

This line broke while Bob was thinking about cranking the tester I think.

My gal pal gave me what is usually described as a "withering" look, shook her head slowly then asked: "What part of Saskatchewan are you from, anyway?" :p

Cost me $43.50 to fill up the reel with new line this morning, so no more break-offs for us.

Probably not hook up again for the next three years with my kind of luck. :rolleyes:

So, I was the real reason she broke off given I had her using sub-standard line the whole time.

My reputation lies in tatters and I was humbled once again.

Perhaps........ after a good nap today, I'll try again tonight.

After all, the plug has been working great and I'm still ahead of Bob Main in the King Of The Cabezons Derby. :D

Take care.

Thanks Kildonan, but I'm way too undisciplined to attempt seriously writing, not to mention I know several real writers and know my place in that pecking order of talent and skill, so no career for me in that field for sure.

And, sadly, my career as a rower may be coming to an end soon, given what I endured this morning. :rolleyes:

The humiliation, I mean.

During an exchange of texts last night with one of my pals he asked if it was possible my line was old and weak, like me.

I have such a strong memory of putting brand new line on a Longstone last year that I immediately discounted that theory, clearly recalling that the new line had cost just about $45.00 too.

So it couldn't be the line.

And then, after last nights repetition of a break-off, I took a closer look. I have two identical Richmake rods each with a Hardy Longstone and I really hadn't paid that much attention to which unit we were using both nights. Turns out it was the unit with my older Longstone and I began to think about whether I'd changed line last year on it, or not.

So, when my gal pal rod-holder showed up for our morning walk today I met her holding the reel we'd used last night.

Naturally, she asked why I had it so I explained that it was possible I'd actually been the reason she'd broken off twice in the past three nights and I was taking the reel to the Tyee Clubhouse so Bob could test the line while I observed.

Perhaps I shouldn't have had her with me when Bob tested the line because it was weak for sure, breaking long before even moving the test weight, which is 26 1/2 lbs.

Good line breaks just as it's about to lift the weight.

This line broke while Bob was thinking about cranking the tester I think.

My gal pal gave me what is usually described as a "withering" look, shook her head slowly then asked: "What part of Saskatchewan are you from, anyway?" :p

Cost me $43.50 to fill up the reel with new line this morning, so no more break-offs for us.

Probably not hook up again for the next three years with my kind of luck. :rolleyes:

So, I was the real reason she broke off given I had her using sub-standard line the whole time.

My reputation lies in tatters and I was humbled once again.

Perhaps........ after a good nap today, I'll try again tonight.

After all, the plug has been working great and I'm still ahead of Bob Main in the King Of The Cabezons Derby. :D

Take care.

Tyee are overrated. how’s about a Cabezon Club? Has a nice ring to it! Your clubhouse could be a pallet structure with an old tire rim for a fire pit! And when you boat a Cabezon over 5 pounds you get to blow on the clubhouse Kazoo!!

Tyee are overrated. how’s about a Cabezon Club? Has a nice ring to it! Your clubhouse could be a pallet structure with an old tire rim for a fire pit! And when you boat a Cabezon over 5 pounds you get to blow on the clubhouse Kazoo!!

Finally!!!

A truly great mind is revealed.

I know a great source for pallets too.

LMAO.

Take care.......and thanks for the laugh.

We’re going to change that luck tomorrow night Dave, third times the charm and I’ll happily be the rod holders to turn your spell around. We got to the clubhouse about half hour after the last tyee came in so the kids got to see it so that was cool, and got a nice pic off the club camera from couple nights ago when the Disney cruise ship came past! I seen you and your rod holder heading out last night sure is pretty busy out there! See you soon

Tonight, the 14th, shall be written off as good exercise and little else.

A following wind at the top of the flood made it ugly out there to start but it cleaned up a bit just at dark, not that any fish gave a darn as I saw nothing hooked tonight at all.

Still a few out when we quit so someone may prove me wrong still, but it was slow for sure.

Earlier today, around 2:30 PM or so, I went for a bike ride to check the gas in my boat tank and noticed Randy K out with a rod-holder holding on the corner of the bar, pulling steadily against a strong flood.

Upon returning after my gas check I saw he was off his spot and being pushed southward while his rod-holder had a good bend in the rod.

I pedalled to the clubhouse just in time to see a fish being boated outside and south of us, and then the boat started heading our way.

Randy tipped his hat as he arrived at the clubhouse which Bob the Weighmaster took as a positive sign meaning they might have a Tyee onboard.

Alas, the needle on the scale stopped a hair short of the number 30, eliciting moans of anguish from we who were watching.

So close, literally a hairs width short.

And that was that for today.

With fervent hopes that the wind goes away I'm ready for tomorrow.

And so to bed.

Take care.

Early this morning, just before 6:00 AM, I was in that delicious state of being semi-asleep and half-awake, savoring the fact I could lay there a half hour more should I so desire, when suddenly:

CLANG!! CLANG!! CLANG!!

Obviously some nut case was ringing a bell my sleeping side thought, but then my almost awake side kicked in and I realized somebody had just registered another Tyee and the bell being rung was at the clubhouse.

So, now wide awake and wondering, I rose, completed my morning ablutions, hooked up Buddy to his leash and headed out.

There were still three boats out battling the flood and following wind combination which makes for tough rowing, and I couldn't help but notice a number of gillnetters heading north from the marina, indicating there may be more Sockeye fishing going on up north shortly. One always wonders about Chinook by-catch and the like in net fisheries these days, but not much we can do about it apparently.

Anyway, as Buddy and I arrived at the clubhouse I saw a new number on the big board. It was 35 1/2 and a quick look at the small board showed it had been rowed by R.D. Berger, one of the more highly respected Tyee rowers in the pool these days. I'm told the rod-holder and new member of the Tyee Club is from New Zealand and CEO of the NZ King Salmon Co. which raises Chinook salmon in NZ waters. His name is Grant Rosswarne and here he is.

Copy-of-DSCF0495-300x225.jpg

People come from all over to try for a Tyee and for some it's a "bucket list" type of thing too.

I'm stoked a visitor from so far away got one.

But now I'm wondering if I'm jinxed because I live too close?? ;)

I can fish the pool within 300 feet of my home.

Perhaps I'm actually handicapped by that. :D

Take care.

Last edited:
Wed. night brought another session of much rowing and few fish but the Thulin guys showed us how it's done as they registered a 30 pounder around 8:30 PM.

Young Brady Thulin was on the rod and Mark Thulin was on the oars.

Brady-Thulin-30-lbs-Aug-15-2018-830-p.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Mark-Thulin-300x225.jpg

Good going guys!

Despite an excellent job of rod-holding last night, combined with my usual awesome rowing skills, we managed nada, which tied us with the rest of the fleet for the most part.

We'll give it a go again tonight and maybe do a bit better.

I'm still leading the Cabezon Derby so there's always that. :D

Take care.

Great reading Dave , we were down last night for a stroll , looked like a mayfly hatch out there about 8.15pm and a couple still heading out ..

Dave: your getting a little ahead of yourself buddy, there is still 30 days left to go in the race for Cabezon king of 2018.

Friday AM report and we have another Tyee on the board. The brand new member is Mr. Amaro Lozano, the handsome bearded fellow shown below alongside his rower, the debonair Klaus Weger and their 31 pounder.

Good going guys.

Amaro-Lozano-new-member-31-lbs-Aug-16-2018-915-P.M.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Klaus-Weger.jpg

In other news, I had a nice chat with Mike Mackie yesterday and he corrected me in my assertion that his daughter was nine years old when she registered her Tyee, because she's really only eight.

So, young Raeya Mackie, age eight years, became only the second girl aged eight in the history of the Tyee Club to register a Tyee.

I asked Mike if there was much sibling rivalry between his two kids and he said there was none and that 12 year old Landon had coached Raeya during the fight and was happily hugging his little sister after the fish was finally netted by Mike, most likely one very proud Dad, as well he should be.

Then he asked, rhetorically of course, "Where else can you have an eight year old girl giddy with delight at catching a Tyee and next to her is a near 70 year old man giddy with delight at getting his Rookie Rower hat after finally rowing someone to a Tyee?"

"Name another activity with such a diversity in ages of the participants."

Aside from the comedic image in my mind of Bob Main actually being "giddy", I realized he'd made a great observation, insofar as there are basically no limits to who can participate, save physical.

Back to last night, where there was an actual "bite" for a short period and I think we saw a half dozen strikes with three or four boats outside on fish while a couple lost theirs rather quickly.

We initially had a great view from afar as once again, by utilizing my years of acquired knowledge, my renowned ability to read currents, winds, tide direction and shore-based visible markers, as well as my renowned rowing skills, I had poor Alan at the wrong end of the pool when the bite happened.

A bit of strenuous hauling against the current and wind and we were finally close enough to see a couple more hits happen, both being quickly lost fish as it turned out, but nothing liked our offering and we were able to maintain my perfect record of not yet getting a Tyee for a SFBC member.

All hope is not lost, however, as I have a few more reprobates from the site lined up to help in my attempt to change that sorry state of affairs and we'll get one someday.

Alan will be back next year and he'll get one then.

Maybe. :D

Take care.

Friday evening found my trusty rod-holders and I once again braving the turbulent seas seeking the ever elusive Tyee and once again we were foiled.

Same conditions with a flood tide and a following wind and the spooners-r-us gang hanging about the end of the bar at the north end of the pool, so it was an easy go heading south and a bit of a pull heading north until just at dark when the wind laid down and it was what we call "nice water" for a short period.

We saw three hook-ups and I was told three fish were weighed last night but all were unders.
We were close to a couple of the strikes and even closer to a big Chinook that chose to hurl itself into the air only to land with a big splash, startling us and so close one guy noted it almost jumped in the boat.

Always nicer to see fish activity and we saw some last night for sure, just none we were involved in. :D

This AM I noted Randy K on the corner as I was enjoying my daily walk with my gal-pal around the Spit, and I also noted a bit later he was motoring back from the south, which was a good sign they'd hooked a fish and had drifted along with the tide until boating it.

Sure enough, they weighed in a 27 pounder, but not a Tyee.

We're all hoping some bigger fish are coming, particularly given the date.

This date last year saw five Tyee registered and tomorrow will be the anniversary of the best bite anyone could recall, with more than 20 people hooked up in the space of 20 minutes or so and a double line of guys outside the pool fighting fish. It was crazy.

We hooked Leaping Lena that night which was the most acrobatic Chinook I've ever seen in the pool and came off on the fifth jump.

I'll be rowing Rob again tomorrow night and we are so hoping history repeats itself, with the exception of losing the fish of course. :D

I'll be rowing my gal-pal tonight in hopes of making amends for her two lost fish earlier.

I have brand new line on both my reels so that problem is solved now, but I'm nearly $90.00 poorer too.

Oh, I'll be the guy with a bag over his head out there as she's claimed she doesn't want to be seen with me in public until the pain of her two lost fish abates.

Given it was all my fault, I suppose she has a case. :D

Take care.

No new Tyee from last evening to report but my gal-pal rod-holder rescinded her original decree that I wear a bag over my head while rowing her so I put my newly acquired Bee-keeper headgear away and she didn't seem too upset.

This morning did bring a new Tyee and it was rowed by the legendary Bruce (The Goose) Aikman and the angler was one Dan Heaven who was stoked to finally get one over 30 lbs., having endured several high 20 pounders in the past.

And here they are, Bruce in blue.

RSCN5527.JPG

And yes, it is NOT in the running for the prettiest Tyee of the year, but it IS a Tyee so a big WELL DONE to Bruce and Dan is in order.

Tonight is the anniversary of the big bite of last August and Leaping Lena so I am ever hopeful that a semblance of that will be repeated, 'cause that was one crazy bite for sure.

Later.

Take care.

Well back home to reality for me but will still be watching the updates here and the pool through the camera, I can’t express how much I appreciate you taking me out in the pool Dave, and without any pesky tyees getting in the way of enjoying the peacefulness out there I really got to experience what The Tyee pool and the tradition is like during prime time this year. I am absolutely hooked and maybe even a little obsessed with it, anyone who has ever met Dave knows he’s as good as they come and has good knowledge about the pool and what to be doing out there, unfortunately with my luck the wind blew a gale both nights making it challenging out there. Was cool to see the hook ups and hear the excitement out there, seeing the salmon rolling in the pool is awesome too. I can’t thank you enough Dave and keep us posted and you can guarantee I will be back for more next year and as long as it takes to ring that bell! PS make sure you stay on top of that Cabezon king title too it’s some prestige for all your rowing skills! Good luck out there!

Attachments

• RMT.jpg
    RMT.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 61
Well back home to reality for me but will still be watching the updates here and the pool through the camera, I can’t express how much I appreciate you taking me out in the pool Dave, and without any pesky tyees getting in the way of enjoying the peacefulness out there I really got to experience what The Tyee pool and the tradition is like during prime time this year. I am absolutely hooked and maybe even a little obsessed with it, anyone who has ever met Dave knows he’s as good as they come and has good knowledge about the pool and what to be doing out there, unfortunately with my luck the wind blew a gale both nights making it challenging out there. Was cool to see the hook ups and hear the excitement out there, seeing the salmon rolling in the pool is awesome too. I can’t thank you enough Dave and keep us posted and you can guarantee I will be back for more next year and as long as it takes to ring that bell! PS make sure you stay on top of that Cabezon king title too it’s some prestige for all your rowing skills! Good luck out there!

Judging from the photo you attached it appears we may have been approaching this whole Tyee fishing thing from the wrong angle. :D

Who knew??

Great spending time with you amigo and we'll do it again next year.

All the best and................

Take care.

Lmao not sure how it came in sideways it’s not that way on my phone. Maybe I’ll try another pic and see what it does! All the best to u too and hope that magic bite hits you guys again tonight

It’s saying it’s are too big and won’t upload any???

Back