Wild salmon protection driving newly appointed Wild Salmon Advisory Council

Manages nothing as we saw in last months decision.
Horrrrorgone is SPINELESS and just passed the buck another 4 years. Pathetic excuse for a LEADER.

These fisheries gave been in trouble for years, both Feds and Provincial officials know it.

Yet continue to DO NOTHING PRODUCTIVE.

A continuation of Manage to ZERO

Not true, Bones. The Province "manages" steelhead, and is responsible for FF tenures.

They are also responsible for discarching every pollutant known to man into our oceans along with every other enviorment regulation on this Provence including air emissions.

They are in charge of development and whipping out coho and salmon streams. Runoff management, water extraction permits ect...

Rzoning farms and forest into concrete jungles that turn steady flowing salmon streams into flashy systems with erratic flows. That choke salmon eggs to death with silt or flush then form their reeds and flush salmon smolts onto shores.

Oh and bc hydro

The list goes on....

Not true, Bones. The Province "manages" steelhead, and is responsible for FF tenures.
sorry charlie.....province manages only freshwater and sets regulations as per sportfishing quota. everything else is federal. FOR example it was the federal gov employees that knocked on hatchery doors and cancelled steelhead programs two yehatcheries were told to dump all steelhead. the funding comes from the federal government not the province. so when it comes down decisions made about steelhead DFO has jurisdiction.
nd is responsible for FF tenures.
why do you feel the need to comment on FF? they were never mentioned

Last edited:
Wrong yet again, Bones. Surprised you didn't know that FF tenures were a Provincial jurisdiction:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...nd-use/crown-land/crown-land-uses/aquaculture
The B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development is responsible for managing Crown land, including the issuance of land tenures for aquaculture. This includes tenures for aquaculture facilities and ancillary uses on land covered by water, upland and foreshore. The Ministry is also responsible for managing and licensing the wild harvest and culture of aquatic plants.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/licence-permis/index-eng.html
While licences for aquaculture operations in BC are issued by DFO, the provincial government and other federal departments also play a role in the licensing process. DFO, Transport Canada and the province of BC share a single harmonized aquaculture application. The required forms for new sites, or amendments to existing sites for freshwater, shellfish or marine finfish aquaculture operations, are available through FrontCounterBC or by calling toll free 1-877-855-3222.

and FFs affect wild stocks - again surprised you seem incapable or unwilling to make that connection.

AA PLEASE FOLLOW THE CONVERSATION. Were have I said that the federal government is responsible for fish farms???
Your correcting something that I did not say. The above posts were in reference to Wild Salmon Advisory Council and nothing to do with FF.

why do you feel the need to bring fish farms into every topic?

well bones - if you had of been following this development from inception - it started because the newly-elected Provincial NDP government was afraid to follow through on it's election promise of not renewing the FF tenures. The politically "safe" response was to develop yet another committee (and there has been many - for the same reason) to study the effects of FFs on wild stocks - but then broaden it's mandate to include all of the Province's interest in wild salmon: "On May 31, 2018, the legislative assembly tasked the Select Standing Committee on Agriculture, Fish and Food with conducting consultations to examine the health, habitat and management of wild salmon, as well as the sustainability of the wild salmon industry in British Columbia." Note the focus on the "Agriculture" Branch of BC that deals with FFs and diseases - after Marty was exposed by Popham - the Minister for Agriculture BC.

Strangely enough - you (bones) posted this on Jun 19, 2018 Report #519 another thread at: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/fish-farms.68678/page-26#post-880518

https://biv.com/article/2018/06/horgan-announces-wild-salmon-strategy-gets-yelled
It was pointed out that all 14 experts appointed to the new advisory council are from the wild salmon sector, and none from the fish farm sector.

Asked if the fish farm industry should be nervous about the makeup of the advisory council and the direction the government is moving in, Horgan said, “I don’t think so.”

He pointed out that, while the province issues fish farms licences, the federal government is responsible for tenures.

“The province is responsible for the anchors that hold the nets to the ground,” Horgan said. “The federal government’s responsible for everything else.”

The previous Liberal government struck a special ministerial advisory council to advise the government on what to do about fish farms.

The NDP government is still considering the recommendations it made. But Horgan hinted that he doesn't think salmon farming is the only concern facing wild salmon in B.C.

Salmon aquaculture is one component of the challenges facing our wild species,” Horgan said.

So - I don't understand why you didn't understand that the province regulates FF tenures - unless of course - even you don't read what you post.

Last edited:
who cares from a wild fishes prospective this council is stacked with executioners(Harvesters).... with Eco Trust being the only representation that will lobby for the fishes protection and Maybe because Eco Trust is currently involved in the commercial industry as a third party that counts landed commercial catch. The message coming from the other groups will undoubt focus on fish production and not protection.

If I had any suggestion for this counsel it would be they focus on things under the provinces control and forget about everything else. Otherwise you will probably see the province of BC just pass the buck to the federal government with a bunch of recommendations that they have ZERO control over implementing.

Altho I am sure they will focus on topics completely out of the provinces control, like hatcheries, seals, DFO closed areas ect....

Agreed WMY. Would be nice to see a terms of reference....

Lol wow so bazar this one...

https://www.northislandgazette.com/...for-representation-on-wild-salmon-commission/

Premier of BC ignores Port Hardy council’s request for representation on wild salmon commission

"Horgan’s office responded with an email thanking council for writing in and explaining that the aim of the commission will be to hold fish farms accountable to ensure wild salmon stocks aren’t put in jeopardy and that First Nations are consulted and involved if such operations encroach on their territory, but ultimately ignored the district’s request for representation on the commission."

hmmm... how many municipal councils do we have in BC? How many municipalities are affected by up/downturns in wild salmon numbers? I think the size of the Commission would be substantially increased if Hardy was represented on those basis - they aren't as special as they'd like to be thought of....

Just proving again How Spineless this government and its leader truly are.
Liars ...... All of them.
Pensions will be waiting down the road though.

hmmm... how many municipal councils do we have in BC? How many municipalities are affected by up/downturns in wild salmon numbers? I think the size of the Commission would be substantially increased if Hardy was represented on those basis - they aren't as special as they'd like to be thought of....

Well I think they wanted representation from the agriculture industry. What ever tho

More notable is the Provence’s response setting it up to hold fish farms accountable yet still renewing the leases and refering to First Nations.

Silly

Well I think they wanted representation from the agriculture industry. What ever tho...
I think the missing word is "more": "They wanted MORE representation" to protect the FF industry verses wild stocks...

Back