If you were the new fisheries minster

one of the big problems in DFO is even when we change governments , the upper echelon of senior beaurcrats always remain the same.
Same old parasites feeding from the trough.
What a NEW Minister must do and must be told to do by the people is do a sweep and get the Parasite Hogs retired or fired.. and replace with a new functioning Department...Starting with the dfo ottawa lawyers and work east and west...CLEAN HOUSE !!!

Most of them have retired or are retiring. They were rasists and favoured harvesting salmon.

No offence capt hook but if you think the new people will let people harvest more or be anything like the “good old days” are gone.

ENGOs are the favourites of the new brass.

Harvesting less by commercial and recs is just going to be the norm.

Hatcherys or things that increase production seem to be way out of favour with ENGO. None
Of them are out spoken about human intervention they want less and to top it off ocean survival rate is crap.

No government seems to want increase DFO’s budget. Salmon enhancements has not received a budget increase since 1996.

Habitat management at this point needs billions and that would not
Even solve the problems of urban sprawl and the pollution associated with it.

The actual return on investment for anything to do with salmon is very poor other then fish farming.

Seems to me like the government has issued way to many licenses to harvest and their is not enough fish per licence. Reality is as technology and fishing pressure was increasing and the catch per boat was going way up. DFO needed to start ratcheting back licenses, By taking licenses away from boats would of been hugely unpopular and most would view that as unjust how do you even begin to do that in a fair manner. So they issued more licences because that bought votes. So they just keep ratcheting back how long an opening was for. IE in the early 1900's a commercial drift netter on the fraser got to fish every day but sunday's. IT was not necessarily that the fraser sockeye run was larger just that it was way fewer boats with shittier tech going after the same fish.

The science available out their shows that there is no less pacific salmon in the pacific ocean then there was decades ago. Ie a lot of that is to do with russian and alaskan pink salmon production. We have obviously loss natural salmon production to do development and dams, especially in largely populated areas.

The supply and Demand picture is just getting worse and worse, But the supply is generally experience the same ups and downs it has over the last 100 years, Climate change is seeming to have a material impact on some runs tho.

As stormtrooper has pointed out if we want things to change then all sectors need to demand change and hold the government accountable and we all need to work together to achieve that.

Tho the end math is pretty simple more license and fishermen means less salmon per fishermen.

As stated above:
“IT was not necessarily that the fraser sockeye run was larger just that it was way fewer boats with shittier tech going after the same fish.“

And a more “traditional” fishery than today’s uhhh “traditional” fishery.

As stated above:
“IT was not necessarily that the fraser sockeye run was larger just that it was way fewer boats with shittier tech going after the same fish.“

And a more “traditional” fishery than today’s uhhh “traditional” fishery.

Not really relevant all sectors have become very efficient fishermen. Unless you ment all sectors have greatly changed their traditions

If I was Minister I’d look back at exactly who it was that convinced the Department to allow the capture and decimation of the Orcas in the 60’s and 70’s. Where are all the experts who thought it was a good idea?I believe a lot of the problems the whales are having, has more to do with inbreeding than starvation. Of course to admit the Department caused the problem by allowing capture for Aquariums and Amusement Parks over several decades would mean taking responsibility! Better to blame recreational fishermen I guess.

In most of these posts the experience and wisdom really shows.
I'd like to see this thread sent to our new fisheries minister, minus the BS posts of course.
I'm not a computer guy, so I ask the questions.
Can this thread be cleaned up a little and emailed to him?
Can it be set up so we can read his reply if any?
Pros and cons?

In most of these posts the experience and wisdom really shows.
I'd like to see this thread sent to our new fisheries minister, minus the BS posts of course.
I'm not a computer guy, so I ask the questions.
Can this thread be cleaned up a little and emailed to him?
Can it be set up so we can read his reply if any?
Pros and cons?
Crickets....... Really........:(

If I was Minister I’d look back at exactly who it was that convinced the Department to allow the capture and decimation of the Orcas in the 60’s and 70’s. Where are all the experts who thought it was a good idea?I believe a lot of the problems the whales are having, has more to do with inbreeding than starvation. Of course to admit the Department caused the problem by allowing capture for Aquariums and Amusement Parks over several decades would mean taking responsibility! Better to blame recreational fishermen I guess.

Absolutly correct!

If I were minister ,I would invest in many more 8' electric drones that stay in the air miles high for weeks ,and that come to survay crash sites ,unotherized radio tranmissions,wildfires,whale harasment,rapp reports ,gun shots .Remember from a mile away the drone can see a dimond ring.at night you see what appears to be a plane light flashing miles high ,follow it ,if it turns 90 and 90 again and other lights of planes appear and then for afew minutes they all dog fight ,they might be drone training in your area.

Back