Tugboat sinks in north arm Aug 14, 2018

On a more productive note, is there anything us guys can do to help?

Do we know how big of a spill this is so far? Is this going to affect our fisheries?

Home for hours after a great day sockin it.

My boat ropes and motors trailer have a thin film of diesel on them . they reek of it after using the McDonald ramp today. Ramp was slippery. Glad our fish were all outside. Saw lots of jumpers headed from mouth to ramp. Diesel breathed Sox.

Global News report stated there was more than 22,000 litres on board as per the Coast Guard

Not quite correct. The tug has the capacity of 22,000 litres - but CG still has not confirmed if the tug was actually carrying that much and how much has spilled.

In this news video link (from Global) the very first words from the CG is "Right now we cannot say for certain, how much has been released."

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/1299153987636/?jwsource=cl

Last edited:
heard from a source in the tug industry that the reason is sank was that it was essentially run over by a barge full of gravel/concrete mix. Not sure if this is accurate but I'm sure we will find out soon. Pretty tough to imagine a tug that size going down but a barge full of heavy materials with strong river flow could certainly be a reason. Glad all on board are safe and hope the clean up / salvage goes well today.

came by the tug again late last night and just the masthead was sticking out of the water with the rest of the tug still submerged. They had a 'new' massive crane on the scene as well as lots of other vessels and equipment but still not able to retrieve the tug as of last night. As @Captain PartyMarty mentioned it may be heavy as f being stuck in the mud and more of a challenge to haul up than predicted. Time will tell I suppose. Here's a pic I took while cruising back thru the north arm last night. The sunk vessel is tough to see in the pic but it's in between the 2 cranes. tug.jpg

Sunken Fraser River tugboat finally raised
Salvage effort now moves to pumping out the water and fuel from the George H. Ledcor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sunken-fraser-river-tugboat-finally-raised-1.4788067

coast-guard.jpg

Ledcor Group said that as much as 600 litres of diesel had been recovered in the first 24 hours after the accident.
Although the tug has been raised, reports are the boat ramp is still closed while the cleanup continues.

Back