Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

I have to call BS on your statement. If you think we would be better with another political party it is going to be the same crap different day. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be quiet about what is going on right now with the SKRW issue. This government has clearly lost its mind but it also gets its information within its departments at the senior level. This is what I learned from actually being in the thick of it. In BC the NDP sucks and the Liberals suck. In Federal government the Conservatives suck and so do the Liberals. We have the exact problem there is no real third alternative party ( a real contender) that keeps them honest.

What do they all have in common though? Every time we get new minister or new government it is same culture, same senior people that were always there advising the government what to do. That is the core issue and to be honest, and I believe is issue with DFO. It isn't right/left how you vote it is the senior people of these government departments that have been there since the dawn of time. They never leave regardless of what party is in control. That is the main issue in my eyes.

I wish I had the answer to getting rid of this issue.

Fisheries out of federal hands and managed provincialy?

Notice I never mentioned a party name?

Can anyone name me a Canadian party that supports limited Gov in our personal life and supports our culture?

It seems the Left side of politics loses sleep at night worrying that they can’t control the minds of people and the Right side of politics pretends to be the opposite.

All I know is, on the ground, Right of center people just want to be left alone, tend to think with logical minds and not with emotions. Just my view.

Yes they all have issues but you can be garunteed a Conservative government would not be so anti business, anti progress as these left leaning parties this you know. They are listening to the vocal minority because it's the flavour of the day, these decisions being made are not being made on sound policy. You've all said this about this issue and it's the same for many more issues taking place in this country, this is just the one thats finnaly affecting this region and it's hitting home. Wait,, leave them in there longer and it's going to get worse, common sense can only tell you this. BC had a heck of a run with your provincial Liberal party, they ran under the Liberal flag but we all know they were right of center. Did they have issues of course, they can't please all the people. Were they corrupt I hardly doubt they were near as bad as your left wing media made them out to be. You guys had the ball rolling, BC never had such progress in a generation, and my goodness, you guys through it out the door for what,, for a government that ran on anti business platforms WTF man did you guys think was going to happen.

We had the ball rolling under the BCliberals? Yeah, damming our last few pristine steelhead rivers for Campbell's run-of-river IPP projects, over allocating most of the interior rivers with water licences and finally laying off every technical expert the Province had employed to introduce the Professional Reliance Model so that large corporate interests could bulldoze their way through any environmental assessment process. Ruined this Province, well done!

Can someone enlighten me, i heard that the committee that is in charge of these changes if made up of DFO and a couple representatives from the Raincoast Conservation Society, is this true?? If it is, this is so wrong, where is a rec rep, commercial rep, should they not have people at the table. Maybe what i heard was total bs, does anyone have the facts, thanks.

It's Saturday morning and good old political ideology has filtered it's way back into this thread. The only "political" consideration that is necessary in this or any other thread on this forum needs to be how to keep turning up the pressure on the current government/DFO, and, when the time comes, to ask the tough questions of all the parties heading into the next election, as to how they will address the many problems facing Salmon in a balanced and equitable way. The whole, "right" leaning governments being rape and pillage and "left" leaning governments being "anti" everything, is largely a myth in Canada to date, so once again, not interested in this debate on a fishing forum so take it someplace else and stick to the topic of the thread.

I guess they figure no need to worry about critical habitat when their enviro groups are creating more in Canada. Nice to see the mention that the resident whales really aren’t.

This off of Castanet today:

Nice plug for more whale watchers.

Photo: The Canadian Press
The Canadian Press - Jul 25 2:07 pm
The first calf born in three years to the endangered orcas that spend time in Pacific Northwest waters died Tuesday, the latest troubling sign for a population already at its lowest in more than three decades.

A dead whale was seen being pushed to the surface by her mother just a half hour after it was spotted alive in the waters off the coast of Victoria, said Ken Balcomb, senior scientist with the Center for Whale Research on San Juan Island, which closely tracks each individual whale.

The mother was seen propping the newborn on her forehead and trying to keep it near the surface of the water, he said. "The baby was so newborn it didn't have blubber. It kept sinking, and the mother would raise it to the surface."

The distinctive black-and-white whales have struggled since they were listed as an endangered species in the U.S. and Canada over a decade ago. They're not getting enough of the large, fatty Chinook salmon that make up their main diet. They also face threats from toxic pollution and noise and disturbances from boats.

A statewide task force formed by Gov. Jay Inslee has been meeting since spring to come up with ways to help the population. Efforts include slowing down state ferries to reduce the effect of noise, increasing hatchery production of salmon, training more commercial whale-watching boats to help respond to oil spills, and prioritizing areas where important habitat can be restored to help fish and orcas.

Balcomb and others say more aggressive measures are needed. They have called for the removal of four dams on the Lower Snake River to restore salmon runs.

There are just 75 of the orcas, down from 98 in 1995. The number is a concern, but the bigger issue is the reproductive status of the small population, Balcomb said. There are 28 whales of reproductive age, and only 14 have produced calves in the last decade.

Female orcas have had pregnancy problems because of nutritional stress linked to lack of food. Half of the calves born during a celebrated baby boom several years ago have died. Until Tuesday, no other calf had been born in three years.

"We know they're getting pregnant. They're not having viable calves," said Balcomb, whose centre keeps the official census of the southern resident killer whales for the U.S. government. "That is really devastating. Without reproduction, there's no survival in the population."

The southern resident killer whales are distinct from other orcas because they eat mostly fish, rather than seals or other marine mammals. Individual whales are also identified by unique markings or variations in their fin shapes, and each whale is given a number and name.

Baby Whale seen alive just before determined it was now dead.
Maybe the Whale Watchers or viewers were to close and disturbed the mother and calf ........ Makes ya wonder about the chaser boats doesnt it.

British Columbia needs to step up to the plate and get the Fish Farms out of the Ocean as there are no borders for the SRKW.

Once again you have to ask if the calves are dieing as a result of poor genetics caused by inbreeding. Time for DFO and their American counterparts to recognize the capture of so many whales in the 60’s and 70’s diluted the gene pool to where those left are not going to have healthy offspring. That would mean accepting responsibility, so it ain’t gonna happen! Keep ignoring the effect of their actions and blame recreational fishers!

From their website it looks like they plan to use their donations to lobby Justin and DFO.
I am going to contact Lighthouse and tell them they could have done something useful, like support the Sooke Net Pen project. I can't tell you how many gallons of Lighthouse beer I have consumed over the years.

Back