Boat big enough for offshore?

iFish

Hey guys, I'm heading to Bamfield in a week and a half and I'm seeing that if we want to get into fish I'll have to go offshore.
I'm quite familiar with the inshore areas but have only been out to 20 mile once a number of years ago with a friend in his 25 Grady.
So my question is: Do you think I can comfortably fish offshore in my boat?
She is a complete rebuild 21 foot, plus pod so OAL is 23 1/2, she has a big beam of 102 inches, powered with a 225 four stroke yammy with an auxiliary 9.9 high thrust. I carry 60 USG of fuel so I have ample range to get out to Rats Nose.
For electronics I have VHF, and a HDS7 with navionics charts (no radar... Yet!). I'm not a newbie when it comes to boating, just not a lot of experience offshore. I have also taken the Power Squadron course, have VHF radio cert. and have been boating for over 40 years.
boat 2017.JPG
Since this picture was taken I have added a full enclosure vinyl top.

Last edited:
My $.02 (for what it is worth)...the boat will do just fine as long as the weather is suitable (i.e. it can get foggy and I don't see radar) but YOU need to be comfortable and confident in your abilities to get there and back safely.

My $.02 (for what it is worth)...the boat will do just fine as long as the weather is suitable (i.e. it can get foggy and I don't see radar) but YOU need to be comfortable and confident in your abilities to get there and back safely.
Yes... no radar. It's on my list of gadgets to get. I would be more comfortable if I had two mains, but the 225 runs like a dream and have total confidence in it. Just fishing for second opinions. :) As an aside, I have also taken the Power Squadron course and have been boating for over 40 years.
Thanks for the input.

That would be biggest concern. I wouldn't go without radar around that area. Especially August. I know guys are going to say its fine but its about seeing other boats. Don't want to screw around there if you get caught in weather.

Boat isfine for the most part if you pick your conditions. By the time you get up there the inside will be bangin with little need to go offshore.

Boat isfine for the most part if you pick your conditions. By the time you get up there the inside will be bangin with little need to go offshore.
I was kind of hoping that this would be the case, although a couple offshore trips for hali would be in the cards.

Assuming your maintenance is up to date then boat wise you have no problem. Make sure that you have appropriate safety equipment and spare parts. I would recommend a second VHF as backup. Also let someone responsible know where you are going and when you expect to return.

You mentioned being a newbie to boating. With that in mind I recommend finding a buddy boat for your first few trips and would second comments about watching the weather. There is no substitute for learning how to run the swells especially in different current/wind states. Not all swells are created equally and it takes some experience to learn how to run the different conditions safely.

Understand your limits and realize that 2o miles out is a lot further out in snotty conditions than it is in nice smooth water and that what was nice smooth water in the morning can quickly turn snotty by the afternoon.

We've all seen it. There was a time when it was the standard. Now as boomers retire and start spending their accumulated lucre, the boats are bigger and bigger...

I love seeing guys out in tin boats catching fish right in there with the quarter million dollar rigs.

Not a newbie to boating, just offshore. I like the idea of traveling with another boat the first few time offshore. Thanks for your comments.

My bad in my post. I saw that you are not new to boating . . . just the offshore variety. I should have been clearer of that distinction in my post. Apologies. I owe you a cold one.

Have fun!

So funny how times have changed, amazing I made it to this age. All good safety points and because its 2018 and the new gentler times are here. There was no 20+ boats, radar, GPS, downriggers, Navionics, braid, fast retrieve reels that many years ago, amazing that fish were caught. Maybe we have gotten to good at catching them. Won't say how many days my little 16.6 DE spent on the 20 mile bank and others getting hali. Ensure all your equipment works well, pick a good weather, tide, current day and go have fun. Now for tuna maybe somewhat different. Smallest boat I got tuna in was 16.6 ft (same DE), biggest was 450ft.

HM

Radar, radar, radar. Buddy up with other boats. Keep in touch with buddy boats.
Been to the rats nose many times in a 21 footer. I’d never go anywhere without radar, especially in August.
Stosh

Radar, radar, radar. Buddy up with other boats. Keep in touch with buddy boats.
Been to the rats nose many times in a 21 footer. I’d never go anywhere without radar, especially in August.
Stosh
yup I would not go out there without radar,fog move in fast and you cant see ****,the big ships is whats scary they skwash you like a bug

In my younger days I went offshore (not as far as big bank though) in a 17 foot aluminum center console with a 75hp , no radar, just vhf and a compass heading. Only if weather forecasts were good and we listened constantly for updates. I'd have considered a boat the size of yours to be luxury and would have headed out in snotier weather with one that big!

I fish out of Bamfield (in-laws have a lodge there) in a 23 ft Grady & have fished offshore regularly for around 7 years. Boat etc. seems very seaworthy but depending how far you go it can be dicey getting back without radar if the weather changes & the fog rolls in. My hesitation is the boat has no radar; of course, guys have done it for years but usually as people get older, they get smarter...if they are willing to learn from their mistakes & close calls. A buddy boat with radar would help but only if they would find you again if you get seperated in dense fog. Fish 5 & 7 mile to start & as your comfort & skill grow, go from there. As a guide & captain of the boat, I often find the trip home the most stressful part of the day as I am worn out physically & mentally, the weather has possibly picked up, & I must 'drive' the boat more as we travel with the waves. It's a smoother ride but requires more skill & attention for the captain imo because you are on/off the throttle & getting pushed from behind. I am by no means an expert & still learn something about the sea when I go out, usually by making some form of a mistake or thinking afterwards about what I could have done better. Enjoy your time out there & stop into Harbourside Lodge for some tips and advice. All the best and safe travels, Brett

Back