2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Had a better day yesterday at Whittlestone and Beale. Scraped up a couple 12-14 pound springs there on spoons and a nice 10lb coho.

Ventured out to 5 mile late morning and fished in 200 feet of water and had tons of action on spoons for coho and a couple 10 lb springs.

Evening yesterday we went back to Whittlestone and there was certainly a wave of new fish that came in. We boated a 15 there but then of the 6 boats there it seemed there was a great bite going on for a couple of hours and larger fish being taken. Buddy's boat that is with is picked up a 21 and 19 at Whittlestone and they look like the local fish (finally arriving

Kitchen sink spoons out fishing hootchies and anchovies by far for us. Usual depths from 25-60. Great weather and wicked times

It's been a few years since I've been able to post a Bamfield report. Haven't been out this way in a while and man I love this place.

Fortunate enough to be a guest at the new Pacific Gateway Loge (former Tyee Lodge). Man they have done an outstanding job of making this a beautiful place to stay. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a charter/lodge package.

We ventured out to Rat's Nose today. Almost no swell or wind all day so the sea state was about as good as it gets. It was non-stop action all morning for both Coho and Springs. Largest spring was 24lbs with a couple of high teens. Probably hooked into 30+ coho and all of us got our limits in hatchery fish with some very nice sizes. Tried Hali fishing for an hour but only a couple of black cod for our efforts.

Out again tomorrow.

Fished Monday afternoon and Tuesday.

Monday as we got out there in the afternoon started at Swale. Didn’t give it much time as the water is chocolate milk brown with low vis and few boats working it but not a lot going on. Pulled up and headed offshore.

Only went to turtle. Not much going on there for us. Headed to Sail which we didn’t touch a fish then back to Swale to finish the night. Found three chinook 65 ft on small outfitter spoon back to back right before dark.

Tuesday got up and ran to Rats. As many reported , lots of Coho but we could only find a few chinook. Spent some time for Hali. Found only one. I think the chocolate milk inside is a big part of why it’s slow inside. Hope it clears soon.

Day 2 of 2. Another gong show at Rat's Nose. Got ourselves 6 Springs and 6 Hatchery Coho and a very large mackerel. Springs all in the teens. Dropped the pick for Halibut and got a 30, 20 and 12 for our troubles all within an hour. Swell was up a bit higher today. On the way back we did a quick drop at Beale and picked up an 18lb spring within 5 minutes.

Couple of the boats landed mackerel today - all on spoons.

Some of our group stayed inshore. Missed several at Beale, but went 5 for 5 at Swale.

Outside, Coho were still hot and heavy. We had a running tally of 17 missed Coho and another 15 wild releases all over a 4 hour fish.

It's good to see things picking up in Barkley Sound and offshore. I'm looking forward to been there from Aug 24 until the 27th. Staying at the Seabeam. Hope to get out to the Rat's Nose while I'm there

It's good to see things picking up in Barkley Sound and offshore. I'm looking forward to been there from Aug 24 until the 27th. Staying at the Seabeam. Hope to get out to the Rat's Nose while I'm there
Fished inside went 1 4 6 with a 12 pound coho 4 pin poppers and no hook ups good day fishing bad day catching all on small minnows in an anchovie holder at 60 feet

Just back from my few days in Bamfield ... Inside was really slow for this time of year but there were plenty of smaller fish 10 to 12 lbs were the norm. Sanford, kirby, and the wall were where we hooked up for our fish. Anchovies at 30 and 55 with green / uv flashers due to the bloom. All coho were 10 to 12 as well which was cool since they provide a more entertaining fight. I saw a few bigger fish at the dock but most were smaller ... all in all no bad days on the water ... tight lines

Fished 5 mike today for hali on anchor..0 bites. Three coho.
Came inshore as it picked up and we got a 14 Lb spring. Tiny hooches were our big seller today 30ft

Just returned from Bamfield on Saturday after a week trip. Just one of those trips where nothing goes right. Blew a bearing on the boat trailer just off the ferry in Nanaimo, and the wheel literally fell of as we pulled into a mechanic. Luckily there was no damage to the axle and they had us back on the road by midafternoon. Was able to get to the cabin in grappler last Friday night.

Fishing was slow on the inside. We had a group of nine licenses (3 boats). Two boats were able to limit on springs inside by Wednesday and a few bonus coho. Almost entirely on anchovies (green hoods long leaders). Fishing seemed to be most productive at Whittlestone, Little Beale, and Beale. A few picked up on the wall.

Myself, I lost nearly every fish I hooked. A few went to the seal at Whittlestone, but other than that just bad luck. Wasn’t able to get fish to stay on the hooks. Only pulled in 4 springs the entire week between 3 licenses. The most exciting being a 22 that I hooked from a 14 ft Livingston that I like to fish out of when everyone wants to go out fishing from the big boats. Besides the poor fishing, we ran into more bad luck.

Being from Washington we only make the trip up once or twice a year. Typically ferry onto the island, and put the boat in the water in Alberni for the run to Bamfield. Park the rig near the ford dealership while we are gone. Well on Wednesday I got a call from the girlfriend’s mother while we were out fishing, she said that the sheriffs were at her place of work asking her about a missing vehicle of ours. The RCP in Alberni had called the sheriffs back home, who went to our home to find all our vehicles, but nobody home. They ran my girlfriends plates, which lead them to her mother. She called us up and put the sheriffs on the line letting us know that our truck had been stolen in Alberni. This really put a damper on the trip. RCP informed us that the truck was found broken into, door panel smashed, ignition punched out, and batteries stripped. We asked about the trailer and camper that were connected and they had no idea they were involved. Still no sign of either. My father hitchhiked from Bamfield to Alberni to get the truck out of the impound to a mechanic, and set up things with breaker marine for the boat to be dry docked on return to Alberni. He then hitched all the way back to Bamfield.

Anyway, all in all a fun trip and beautiful weather, but slow fishing and unfortunate events took the wind out of our sails. Everyone was safe so that is something to be thankful for. Just goes to show there are sleaze balls everywhere that could use a bullet.

Any information on a neighbor in the Alberni area showing up with a new camper or boat trailer would be greatly appreciated. Camper is a white/crimson 8 footer with a WSU courgar decal on the back. trailer fits a 23ft bay boat.

Man that sucks grappler, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the vehicle. The fishing sounds like it wasn't all bad though so at least you got that. Best of luck with getting things back up and running, take care.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience in Alberni,unfortunately it's not the first time it's happened,it seems to be very common up there.Maybe someone from Alberni can suggest a safe place to leave trucks and trailers.

Back