Clearing out the freezer of 2017 season fish

Chasin' Dreams

When July comes I usually clean out the freezer of any remaining fish caught in the previous year that hasn't gotten eaten yet.

Ended up with 12 cans of Pink salmon to be done and a few pieces of Spring for dry brined Lox and dry brined half the remaining Tuna loins for Lox and wet brined the other half of the Tuna loins for hot smoking.

For those of you Tuna guys out there I highly recommend doing up some Lox with it if you haven't tried it yet. I love Salmon Lox but Tuna is my new favorite. It melts in your mouth and absorbs the brine flavors even better than Salmon does. So incredibly delicious and a great way to eat some very nutritious food more regularly.

37058397_423347784833466_2294590375286800384_n.jpg
20180711_124344.jpg
20180711_124412.jpg
20180711_135853.jpg
20180711_131658.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmm looks good. What’s that in the jar beside the lemon? Looks kinda like a piece of celery?

Mmmm looks good. What’s that in the jar beside the lemon? Looks kinda like a piece of celery?
That's a piece of Fennel/Anise. And next to that are couple pieces of sweet/hot pickled peppers, lemon, and some dill and tarragon with a little bit of Himalayan pink salt.

Tuna and Salmon cold smoked Lox finished last night. Re vac packed to let flavors distribute through the meat for 24 hrs more then will slice it all tonight and re vac packed on presentation board and vac pack again. Will make for some nice gifts for family and friends :)

And the Tuna I wet brined for the hot smoking is done it's time air drying so that's going in for 5 hrs of cold smoking then will finish with a couple hours of hot smoking.

20180714_012001.jpg
20180714_140302.jpg
20180714_140324.jpg

Whats your brine recipe for the hot smoked tuna (if you don't mind sharing) ?
Good question lol. I didn't write down what I used. I just winged it and used what I had on hand. I smoke fish, meats, cheeses, veggies, a lot so I experiment a lot just putting in whatever sounds good at that moment. Pretty basic brine though from what I remember with the base of water, soy, brown sugar, garlic, onion powders, lemon juice, pineapple juice, pickling salt, some herbs. The thing you gotta be careful with hot smoking Tuna is the temperature and time you smoke it. It will dry out and lose a lot of the good brine flavor if you keep it in too long and smoke it at too high of temperatures. The fat in the Tuna converts if too hot and can create stronger flavors that take away from the nicer milder brine filled flavors of lower temp smoked Tuna.

Back