Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to ask guys about that. I have all sorts of scents from different times all over my gear. Can certain scents actually deter fish? I'm talking herring, anchovie, "salmon" scents not sunscreen.
this is possibly and probably why you are having problems

So in my nights of staying up wondering why every guide boat is limiting out within hours and Im floating around for 13 to only scrub out 3 or 4 fish I've came to the assumption that I'm not running enough dummy flashers. But, my problem is they keep sliding up and down my dr line and tangling like crazy. Even if I tag a clip between two stop beads they still slide past (running braid). Attached is the clip I'm running. Is the trick to run the Scotty style release clip snaps? If it is where can you buy those for cheaper than $12 for 2??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 8.29.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 8.29.40 PM.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 90
I find washing the gear in soapy water will make a difference also, I don’t always do it but it has seemed to help when things have slowed for my gear, may just have been randomness but at least really puts the shine back on the stuff

So in my nights of staying up wondering why every guide boat is limiting out within hours and Im floating around for 13 to only scrub out 3 or 4 fish I've came to the assumption that I'm not running enough dummy flashers. But, my problem is they keep sliding up and down my dr line and tangling like crazy. Even if I tag a clip between two stop beads they still slide past (running braid). Attached is the clip I'm running. Is the trick to run the Scotty style release clip snaps? If it is where can you buy those for cheaper than $12 for 2??
That's because they're tangling AND THEN sliding. Spread em out. One thing I am good at is setting gear lol.

Also sticking and staying also really can pay off, especially at the south arm I find. I have waited it out there painfully for most of a day to have it go nuts with the best fishing I’ve ever had, when it happens there it really happens. Sunday I left there and knew it would go off, spent my day zigging when I should have zagged lol.

Also sticking and staying also really can pay off, especially at the south arm I find. I have waited it out there painfully for most of a day to have it go nuts with the best fishing I’ve ever had, when it happens there it really happens. Sunday I left there and knew it would go off, spent my day zigging when I should have zagged lol.
I did a full 10 at sandheads Friday. Got 1.

Ya its frustrating. We got 3 beauties and lost 5 or 6. Every one was lost at the boat in full thrash mode. Of the 300 boats out there only saw a handful of fish caught. Its gonna get better but I want to have my gear fishing perfect for when it goes off. My buddy's on the river are just slaying them!!!

Zincs changed and I run braid so shouldnt be an issue?

I run braid too but I’ve always had no luck hooking up above 50 feet it seemed, then I changed my zincs and did some ‘bonding’ of some submerged metals (trim tabs and swim platform braces) and also discovered a voltage leak into my bilge water from the pump wire. Fixed all that and now doing better. Might be a coincidence tho.
I think I got lucky today. I didn’t see any schools and had a hard time going slow enough with the wind at my back. Got my two against the wind and waves.

Attachments

• 527C343A-F304-45BF-9B4C-4E66F9DF1595.jpeg
    527C343A-F304-45BF-9B4C-4E66F9DF1595.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 92
Well tuffed it out at the north arm today. Great bite goin on. Lost a tone of fish! Went 7 for like 15. Lol. Super calm till 11 am. Sorry I had no signal guys. Dam freedom network. Here's the three I took home.

Attachments

• 20180813_194549_resized.jpg
    20180813_194549_resized.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 83

This is how I typically run stacking gear on my braid downrigger cable

Attachments

• 20180801_194646-01.jpeg
    20180801_194646-01.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 253
PNT in Steveston sells them $3 each I think. They've got a swivel attached to help with the line twists.

I spread them out so much that I could only get one setup in the zone and they would still slide.

Those clips will slide unless you do something different. You need to get about 30 feet of green gangen and tie a loop in the top and bottom. Tie as many 1" bowline loops as you need for the number of dummies and release clips you have that will slide otherwise.
Choke your ball to the bottom loop and make a loop to loop connection on the top loop with your braid.

That clip is for prawn trap rope, they do not work on rigger cable or braid. Take a closer look at steelydan photo.

canso is correct those clips are way too big for braid. I use the regular clips on braid with 2 stops together and they dont slide, maybe inches thru a whole day, no need for ganglion or tubing imho, it just creates more drag than you need. you can bent the end of the dr clip a bit with some pliers to make it pinch a bit tighter

Put some rubber surgical tube or the rubber insulation from # 12 cab tire ( (extension cord) on the clip to help grip the braid

@Raincity if i could share a quick story. 2010 Sockeye run in Browns bay everyone and their butt was catching fish. i’m looking around, elderly people, small children, i mean everyone had sockeye on. except me. some people had fish jumping into their boats. i couldn’t catch a cold. a kind guide who could see my long face sed i was trolling waay to fast. and he also told me to stay out of the perimeter and get closer to the other boats. i wasn’t too comfortable being so close but once i did , i started catching fish.

2014 run at browns bay again i’m touching rod tips with the boat beside me and tubbing out three guys limits in less than an hour. sockeye are a schooling fish attracted by multiple flashers we all know this. why not use other guys flashers to your advantage? your flashers help him too....

i HATE being that guy that sees someone catching fish and start to crowd in, but in this fishery it tends to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back