Status
Not open for further replies.
We took 8 socks at sandheads yesterday and lost maybe another 12. We had the dummy's in tight at 4ft and I found putting the rod flash real close to clip was the trick. Did you pull some of the dangly bits of the hootchie? We got most hits on a hootchie that had 4 dangly bits left on it. All fish came at 56 ft on the riggers and anywhere from 100 to 700 ft of water. I was also running a Kone Zone flash on one side which also produced a lot of hits
There isn't anything posted on this forum that's sockeye related that I haven't tried.

I douse all my **** in anchovy oil to cover any weird scents, 15' from flasher to clip, 5' between dummies and 10' to the bottom rod and 15' to the top rod on the downrigger cable. I'm using full glow cop car dummies and green flashers on my line. 40 lb mono on all my hoochies. So far if other people have been catching fish I do too. It could have more to do with luck than skill on my end.

Last edited:
I found if I eat Frosted Flakes for breakfast, the fish bite better. I didn't have any yesterday as I ran out.
Like most have said , right spot right time, if your there your laughing.
The guys running all the Kone Zones , 3 dummy flashers, I bet they do get those inbetween fish when the bites not on, but when its on , even I catch fish .
Keep at it Rainy, your day will come.

How long do you guys run your dummies? I tied mine all up at 48". I just can't understand my lack of success out here. Something is wrong with what I'm doing. Like I'm talking 2 hits total in 4 trips and over 30 hours of fishing.
If boats are catching all around you it probably your speed or direction is off lots of times we pick up and run back to troll over the schools going with the tide it's been very slow out there for most of the day because of big tides and as soon as you go in it's on

Some days I see a well known charter operator go waaay into the river running 4 rods. Repeat offender

Koodos to the guys who braved the chop out there today. We were getting tossed around in a 26’ glass boat almost taking waves over the bow on the way out.
Waiting patiently for the next window of opportunity
Trolled fisheries area for a couple hours instead saw a fair bit of bait but couldn’t find any fish

How long do you guys run your dummies? I tied mine all up at 48". I just can't understand my lack of success out here. Something is wrong with what I'm doing. Like I'm talking 2 hits total in 4 trips and over 30 hours of fishing.
how long are your hoochie leaders. try varying them a bit, 22- 30" and figure out what works best when you get into them. you may see 1 boat going super slow knocking them dead with 18-22 " leaders while another boat is knocking them dead with 30" leaders going 2x as fast. same success. I prefer mine a bit longer to troll a bit faster to cover more water looking for schools.

it also sounds like you may be spending a lot of time moving around rather than sticking it out in an area to figure out what works. also wash your flashers and hoochies in a bucket of soapy water (dish soap) after every trip. it can make a big difference. also offset and beak your hooks if possible, make sure they are sticky sharp

Really? Why?
also wash your flashers and hoochies in a bucket of soapy water (dish soap) after every trip. it can make a big difference. also offset and beak your hooks if possible, make sure they are sticky sharp
Was going to ask guys about that. I have all sorts of scents from different times all over my gear. Can certain scents actually deter fish? I'm talking herring, anchovie, "salmon" scents not sunscreen.

from doing sockeye charters years ago and being quite successful at it I found it made a huge difference at times. especially the years pinks were mixed in with them. I would keep a bucket of soapy water on the boat to clean the slime and other scents off the gear. if you are finding it slower than normal for yourself and others are doing well try washing the gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back