2018 Port Renfrew Reports

where's the "slot" ?
lol,the little cove where all the boats do the go round in ,between the rock island and shore,nice when there is 2-3 boats but most mornings there is 15-20 boats 25 ft apart,lots of fish get hooked in there and funny to watch from a distance but no way I go in there when busy,my sanity is more important than a few fish lol

yup you got it

I hit reply before reading the response...oh well.

Question on bait found in the fish. Has it been small? If so, should I pick up small anchovies in Nanaimo before coming to Renfrew or can they be found there? Will be there Aug 7-10, looking forward to it!

Thanks!

I hit reply before reading the response...oh well.

Question on bait found in the fish. Has it been small? If so, should I pick up small anchovies in Nanaimo before coming to Renfrew or can they be found there? Will be there Aug 7-10, looking forward to it!

Thanks!
port Renfrew marina usually have them in all size,some fish have 6" plus herring in them some are full of little guys,THE JACKEL fish cutplugs in there once in a while so maybe he could tell you his secrets,Donnie d I will be up there from the 7 to to the 12

port Renfrew marina usually have them in all size,some fish have 6" plus herring in them some are full of little guys,THE JACKEL fish cutplugs in there once in a while so maybe he could tell you his secrets,Donnie d I will be up there from the 7 to to the 12

Right on perhaps we’ll bump into each other. I’ll be at the Pac Gateway in the white kingfisher.

There's got to be some out in 50-90 fathoms. 70 feet down.
I have picked them up the last few days. Some mornings have been good and some a bit slower and then it cools off a bit. Not crazy numbers yet but it’s been fun for a few hours in the morning with the kids but lots of shakers to pick through to get the Sockeye. 50 to 75 feet as the morning bite winds down. Heading out again now so I’ll see how it is since I didn’t fish yesterday.....

Got back to Vic last night to pooped to report hehe.
Thanks Cam & Lawrence for letting me tag along. Was an awsome trip for me landing some 15-20 lb springs and loosing a couple as well. We ended up with 9 fish and for us the night bite 6-8 was the most productive in the slot. Scott as said its at East point Hammond rocks, and yikes you take your turn to get in then shoot out. Can get frustrating as some larger boats that hook up go to nutural to fight their fish giving you no option to get in or out so roll up your gear and watch. When we hooked up we would keep moving and get outa the way so the others get a chance to. The parking lot effect really sucked in the fog, a few times heading in we were three abreast and got squeezed outside to try again. That's all good except when both of those guys hooked up while we watched.
We were mostly using 8 Pak chovie and a bit deeper & slower 38-45ft near bottom for bigger fish but most are using Brite green Betsy flashers and green spoons a bit shallower and a bit faster troll which may have had more hook ups but smaller 8-12 springs. My go to was purple haze flasher and chrome tiger prawn teaser which did attract the big one of a double header of the waterfall and a 15 in the slot lol.
Charter guys at the docks had a full pull of Hali, sox & smaller springs from the bank. Shout out to Michael from Island Outfitters who after landing a fish beside me sharing some info.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 135
Got back to Vic last night to pooped to report hehe.
Thanks Cam & Lawrence for letting me tag along. Was an awsome trip for me landing some 15-20 lb springs and loosing a couple as well. We ended up with 9 fish and for us the night bite 6-8 was the most productive in the slot. Scott as said its at East point Hammond rocks, and yikes you take your turn to get in then shoot out. Can get frustrating as some larger boats that hook up go to nutural to fight their fish giving you no option to get in or out so roll up your gear and watch. When we hooked up we would keep moving and get outa the way so the others get a chance to. The parking lot effect really sucked in the fog, a few times heading in we were three abreast and got squeezed outside to try again. That's all good except when both of those guys hooked up while we watched.
We were mostly using 8 Pak chovie and a bit deeper & slower 38-45ft near bottom for bigger fish but most are using Brite green Betsy flashers and green spoons a bit shallower and a bit faster troll which may have had more hook ups but smaller 8-12 springs. My go to was purple haze flasher and chrome tiger prawn teaser which did attract the big one of a double header of the waterfall and a 15 in the slot lol.
Charter guys at the docks had a full pull of Hali, sox & smaller springs from the bank. Shout out to Michael from Island Outfitters who after landing a fish beside me sharing some info.
Cam is a brave and patient man,that spot holds a lot of fish but sqeezing that many boats in that little cove is border line insanity in my mind,combat fishing without trowing a punch.main thing is I hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
That spot is a good one for sure. Natural fish hold.

I’m not a fan of too much rasslin to find fish though,
Many other good ‘ holds’ nearby.

The beach has been decent the last few days but a bit slower today. Sockeye fishing was good again this morning out at 500’ and a bit west of the Bell Bouy. 65’ and 50’ stacking rods on the the riggers produced lots of double headers with the Sox....

Last edited:
Any reports from the beach? Heading out there tomorrow for the day.
just came back,beach is ok I would say,most boats seem to get a couple with some getting 4-5,right place and time seem to be the norm,nothing hot by any means I would say,day to day changes, fish don't seam to old in big numbers, east point was good for some if fishing there is your thing.SOXS is on fire if you want to fill your box

Back