Are we getting past labour day?

Jencourt

so how are the Halibut #’s? Are we going to make it past labour day? Should know by now or had a pretty good idea after July review?

Zero for me too this year.

Haven't even bothered to fish for them with the small size limit, thanks Chris ;)

This year was terrible. I let a few ~55-65lbers go & a one bigger. I couldn't find the size I needed. I ended up only taking a 10lb & 13lb when I was at Hippa. When I was out fishing with my family we luckily managed to tag a 20lb & 30lb hali...

It will be interesting to see if we even use the quota this year. I suspect we will be leaving fish in the water.

One strange thing i noticed this year was the abundance of Arrow Tooth flounder that are now in spots that would be full of chicken halibut.....

Having the last of my Winter Harbour fresh halibut tonight.
The rest is in the freezer, looking good.
We had to release a 'last year beauty' but this year illegal, and that was demotivating, until the next hali bit!

Sorry, is this a sad thread?

Only one this year and it was 130 cm so was released...
Sucks that that was the only one caught. Would have fed all 4 of us on the boat.

Well if I was a betting man id say YES it will close early as they have set a precedent...I hear that they are hitting them VERY hard up north ....you been warned.....

I usually do a trip mid sept every year... usually not very busy at that time. Most likely that will come to an end if they start closing halibut early.... not much point in going out that time of year for me if it's closed.

Well after reading the posts feel tiny bit better, released 3 over in 1 day then went 9 times without a hali bite. A little ashamed at my handle from this years success. Certainly less than any other year. TAC is safe from me. No more hali fishing this year, its hunting season in a week.

HM

so how are the Halibut #’s? Are we going to make it past labour day? Should know by now or had a pretty good idea after July review?

I’ve heard that there will likely be a closure earlier than later as in previous years.

That said, I released a 75+ pounder and kept a small chicken this year. This in an area that ‘doesnt hold halibut’.

Back