Stacking rods - > WTF

I think the best advice here is twofold:

1) Set your top and bottom lines further apart. I usually go 20 feet between them. Remember that by the time your gear is in the water, the blowback will set your DR line at about a 45 degree angle. In terms of depth, that puts your lines about 15 feet apart when they are working.
2) your bottom line should be further back than your top line. This reduces the likelihood that the flasher and ideally a fish, will connect with your top line. I run the bottom line twice as far back as the top line.

This should solve 80% of your issues in 20% of the time. The other 20% of your problems, will take 80% of your time to solve. :)

I don't know what is best as i tangle more often than I like but I started running with the top rod further back after watching this video. I might try going back to bottom rod out more and see how it goes.

I have a fairly narrow transom and I find running the top rod out the back with slightly less line to the DR clip is the ticket. 15' apart seems to be fine. So far my tangles have been minimal even running 2 dummy flashers per side.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 39
I like to run my bottom rod down until the flasher goes under, then bring it back up and clip on the top rod only about 12 feet above so my naked spoon or plug gets some benefit from the flasher below. I also like to speed up when setting to keep things away from the cable on the drop. If you slow way down to play a big fish, the other side may tangle, so you might as well clear all the other three rods if it's a big one and enjoy the fight.
Most of the guides in UKee fish two rods. I think it is because stacking is a pain if the crew is inexperienced. They get their fish.

I was out in the slop today off the north arm with my sockeye lines stacked 12 ft apart, no tangles, lots of lost fish though,lol.
for sockeye you can stack closer keeping both lines fairly close to the clip (8 - 12') . when you are fishing otherwise I will separate rods from 20 - 60' depending on what and where I'm fishing. if you have say a 30 to 40' separation you need your top line further back from the clip so it doesn't wrap on the blow out from the deep line.

everyone gets tangled at some point and I would guess that most tangles are caused when you end up going too fast, maybe on a turn or to avoid another boat or current and change of direction, doesn't matter much what your seperation is if your dr cable is close to shooting str8 the back of your boat.

I have my deep lines out to side but both ways work, more personal pref, imho

Back