2018 Campbell River Reports

I’m staying at Pacific Playgrounds (just arrived) and will be fly fishing the beach in the am for pinks then headed out to Wilby Shoal to jig for coho and chinook.

I’m really hoping to find some salmon near the surface on the shoal so I can fly cast for them. That fishery still viable?

I have the boat for it... 22’ bay boat (center console) with a 225 hp outboard and a bow mounted electric motor. I bought it and rigged it specifically to fly fish for salmon.

I’ll report back my results on coho and chinook in case anyone else is interested.

I’m staying at Pacific Playgrounds (just arrived) and will be fly fishing the beach in the am for pinks then headed out to Wilby Shoal to jig for coho and chinook.

I’m really hoping to find some salmon near the surface on the shoal so I can fly cast for them. That fishery still viable?

I have the boat for it... 22’ bay boat (center console) with a 225 hp outboard and a bow mounted electric motor. I bought it and rigged it specifically to fly fish for salmon.

I’ll report back my results on coho and chinook in case anyone else is interested.

Really interested to see how you make out!

Most of the shoal averages around 40-ish feet. i’ll assume you are running full sinking line for this. do you know the sink rate? i think once you find bait, fast stripping a clouser pattern will yield you tons of coho for sure and the chinook come up there as well to feed on the shallows. i’m very interested in how you will do! i have an RST 8 weight rod i’ve been wanting to try this for a while but so hard to get away from downrigger fishing as results are more consistent. There is kelp beds here and there on the shoals; as well as closer to shore by francisco point, i’ve caught coho in the past near the kelp beds with a spin casting unit.

Took 6 family members from the mainland and the interior out fishing at the green can area on 2 days this past weekend. They had a blast! We had two nice springs on - one took two good runs and then released at the boat. The other was a long line release when the fisher eased up and the salmon shook free. We released a few under-size springs and wild coho. They managed a smaller spring each so were pleased with the action. We fished just off the bottom, about 225 feet and were using the big eye, no bananas spoons.

I think I met you last year when you were here. The fish on the Shoals has been the best I’ve ever seen. We have caught a few springs on the fall 10’ below the boat. I’ve also seen some really nice ones finning in the shallows. Every day I’m out there I find bait busting the surface, my bet is if you are patient and get it just right that you’ll be in the money. PM me and lets meet up and chat, I’m here until the 21st.

WW

Out with the kids tonight. Stayed clear of the herd between the green can and Francisco pt. Trolled from just past the red can towards the green can in 170’ of water.

Hit a 66 cm spring just about straight south of the can at 160’ on the rigger on a 6” plug.

Kids were ecstatic.

Pulled the lines and came in. Will try again tomorrow.

Still might be a bit early above the narrows. Definitely better in the early morning. Seeing more fish on the surface each day. Deepwater seems to be better for me so far.

Still might be a bit early above the narrows. Definitely better in the early morning. Seeing more fish on the surface each day. Deepwater seems to be better for me so far.

Hitting a few at least in Deepwater then? Likely heading up there tomorrow and any intel would be appreciated. May also just head for the green can.

Just fished 11 - 3 at the green can.

Didn’t see a single decent fish caught.

A few small coho and springs released for me.

There was a MASSIVE amount of bait on the surface off of Fransico Point this evening. About 24’ of water. Birds were everywhere. Hectares of bait. No exaggeration.

Seemed to be few fish around though. Bunch of boats around but very few fish hooked. We headed to deeper water and found a bunch of coho. Hooked ~7 on jigs.

Was out by the green can tonight in about 100ft of water and landed 2 20+lbs springs. Tons of bait around and lots of boats to go with it!

First, a BIG thank you to a fellow fisher named Bill,a great help at the boat launch
at Discovery launch Thursday 0530.

Fished Deep Water 0600 - 0900, 3 sockey boated lost maybe 4, released 4 pinks
beside the boat unharmed. Not many fish showed on sounder and only saw 2 schools
jumping. fished last of ebb start of flood.

Saw test fishery boat pull into loggers , milled around for 5 minutes or so then left
for up north. ........BB

Decent day out at the green can, caught our limit of Chinooks biggest being 22lbs. Lots of boats and a few nets flashing out there. Caught a nice 12lb coho to but being a wild he was released at the boat. Some bait around we fished pretty deep and last hour of ebb and then first couple hours of flood.

Hit the Green Can Friday night, multiple hook ups jigging. 21 & 16 lbs in the box and multiple coho released... good times for sure!

fairly decent evening 1 Sox 1 coho 1 spring and 3 pinks almost the grand slam lol never made it for chowder unfortunately. Seemed like most boats had a fish or 2 but not lights out by any means. Fished browns for the last hour pretty slow there. Deep water had more going on in general without a doubt.

Was out this morning. We landed five sox in an hour. Note I said landed, forgot how soft their mouths are and how crazy they go when they see my face.
We had success on the inside of the tide line running North from Separation Head. Running four lines, 60 to 100, two small pink hootchie, a regular size pink hootchie and a googly eyes. All got hits.
Had to leave for other commitments, would have tubbed out soon.
They are here.

Last edited:
Back