Posting Photos-Help Please!

SFBC

Admin
Staff member
A challenge has arisen in another thread or two with people having issues while uploading photos from certain devices, other than a desktop or laptop computer. In some cases, the images that are being uploaded appear upright and "normal" on their device but show up sideways or upside down when uploaded to the forum. What I we are looking for is people to upload photos from mobile devices and post what brand and model you are using for the upload. We will take the results and see if there is a way to rectify this with the software provider. Remember, when uploading photos you have 3 options.
1. To upload directly into your post from your device files, choose the "upload file" tab below the text box area.
2. To upload from a photo hosting site such as Photobucket, choose the "image" icon (next to the smilie icon) and paste the url of the photo you want to upload.
3. To upload from your media gallery on our site (once you have created one) click on the camera icon from the tool bar above the text box. If you are using the media gallery, you can edit your photos (including rotating) within the gallery and save it.

For the purposes of this test, I think it applies to photos that are uploaded directly to your post from your device files.

Thanks,

Brian

Uploaded from my Samsung S6. The top photo was actually taken on my former Note 2 and I don't remember if it was taken vertically or horizontally. The second is from my S6 and definitely taken horizontally.

20140818_114344.jpg

20160409_130905.jpg

Taken on iPhone 6. Uploaded from iPhone 6 using "upload file" button.
image.jpeg

... And the result views upside down on iPhone and from Mac using Chrome.

It just occurred to me that I don't know if that's upside down or not-let's try this again-Ukrainian pastries

20160409_141504[2].jpg

OK that's right side up definitely.

14618063226911742573159.jpg 1461806367884-832823963.jpg

Okay, I'll play along. Photos on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, first vertical then horizontal. Good brew!

I used to never have problems with my photos, but recently on the last 2 posts on the Vancouver Fishing Reports that I have made have come up sideways from both my laptop which is a Dell and my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy 7. Any suggestions?

Don't think there is an easy fix that we, as site users, can do for this. There is a huge variety of software, from camera app, photo editors, viewers to website software that are not correctly using the photo's EXIF orientation field correctly. The "standard" has been implemented poorly by software vendors and we see the mixed results on sites like this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-EXIF-to-make-rotated-photos-look-correct/

Note this is an example, and the instruction given would likely only "fix" the orientation problem when using MS Picture Viewer and uploading to Blogger.

@cohochinook I was trying to help Derby figure out this same issue. I did a bit of Googling and one thing to try which 'may' help is do a hard reboot of your phone; it was mentioned in a discussion I found. Don't use the "power off" function......hold down your power button until your phone does a full reboot and see if that helps.

Did this just start happening to your phone as I seem to recall you posting other photos that posted the 'right' way up?

In the interim have you tried creating a gallery and upload to that and then add to posts from there? The Gallery allows you to rotate and do other editing.

@Admin ....you guys figure anything out on this front yet?

how do i use an auto resizer? i wanna share pics but it is a pita from my mobile.. filers too big.. cant find this forum on tapatalk anymore? it had an auto resize.

Back