Creating The Spark

treblig

I thought I would repost one of my most popular article.

Were does that passion for fishing come from? Often it starts at a young age as we observed a mentor usually a parent wanting to share the joys they have experienced from their own past adventures. They were concerned that the kids enjoyed the outing and whether it was catching a bull head or just exploring the outdoors that was all that was need to create the spark.

The competition between siblings was contagious. They all wanted dad to know who caught the most. None complained about getting dirty. You knew they had found the spark. As technology advanced we had more exposure to the outdoors with fishing shows displaying their exploits and wonders in that magic box we call television. As the exposure increased the spark within them started to become a flame. From camping, fishing, hunting and hiking all those adventure took us to the unknown. The children started to have a thirst for adventure that needed to be quenched and a drive to discover and explore. Whether it was a hiking trail in a park or a little pond in the city. Getting out, as a child was an adventure in what they thought was the great wild.

As younglings we had no choice but to grow up and some would lose the spark while others hung on to it. Many would continue the adventure to enjoy the outdoors and what nature could offer us. The distractions of growing up sometimes caused a split in the road but eventually they found there way back to what created the spark. Some would be quicker than others.

What helped me find my way back was to the pure love for the sport we call fishing was a stranger helping me rediscover in myself as a mentor and all the reward that mentoring achieves. It was the smile on the child’s face that brought memories back from my own beginnings. It was the newbie who’s never ending story about his adventure with me he wanted to share with everybody. Creating that spark in someone else and showing them how to nurture it was rewarding in itself.

When I took my 21-year-old daughter out fishing to catch her first coho salmon she told me she would be serious and focused when she caught one. Well that didn’t happen. She screamed like the little girl dad always sees in her. We laughed so hard. She was screaming, I was screaming offering her guidance. There was no way she wanted my help as she was going to land the salmon on her own terms. When she did I new that spark that had dimmed through growing up had ignited again. She didn’t care about how dirty or slimy the salmon was. She held it close to her for the trophy shot.

I am so happy to have been the catalyst that ignited the spark in others, for all those that have the passion and the love for the sport we call fishing.

It’s never to late become a mentor.

Attachments

• da00183e-1c2b-4669-8782-a0e0dd0db530-o_488625.jpg
    da00183e-1c2b-4669-8782-a0e0dd0db530-o_488625.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1c02adc0-b891-4943-8190-0caddb82129a-o_488621.jpg
    1c02adc0-b891-4943-8190-0caddb82129a-o_488621.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 0344e246-f684-4ea8-ba70-6c6cac81999b-o_488622.jpg
    0344e246-f684-4ea8-ba70-6c6cac81999b-o_488622.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 67
That igniting spark for me. Brentwood Bay renting the Gilberts Marina and BrentwoodBay Rental chugger at 5 years old. No down riggers, and Alvey reels, peetz weights. Never been same since and I am sure there are few from Brentwood kids on here. Now I pass that on to my kids.

Started with my Grandfather back in Brentwood Bay fishing for bluebacks when I was 5 or 6 years old. Then he took me every weekend to their cabin at Gordon's Beach just past Otter Point. Fished with him until I was 13 and then bought my own boat with Times paper route money. Bought the cabin neighbors 12ft Gordon'r Beach special and I believe it was a 1963 5 1/2 Johnson. The guy was a complete fuss pot so both the boat and motor were like new and I got many years out of it. I think my dad kicked in a few bucks to help me with it. In 86 and Expo I figured it was time to fish for a living and have ever since.

My spark was ignited in Campbell River circa 1986 with my dad , launching a 14’ Lund tinny with a 9.9 Evinrude main; out of the old Ken Ford’s ramp. $5 honour system! 20 minutes to get across to Francisco Point , running herring strip behind a 6-8 ounce lead and about 24-36 pulls. Usually about an hour to get our limit of four coho each, and then back to Ken Fords to have breakfast at that little joint that served breakfast and coffee. Anyone remember that little place? Looking back it could have been a bus, or an old train car. Can’t quite remember.

The seed is planted. My son already has released thousands of chinook and coho at the hatcheries. He can hardly wait to catch his first fish. Talks about it all the time. Pretty soon his mom will let him on the boat.

Attachments

• 20180423_165250_resized.jpg
    20180423_165250_resized.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 19149232_10154500300936965_5090524605897010956_n(1).jpg
    19149232_10154500300936965_5090524605897010956_n(1).jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 34691774_10155353117091965_2417319254748561408_n.jpg
    34691774_10155353117091965_2417319254748561408_n.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 58
No time like the present for making memories. Might be time for mom to let go of the purse strings. No ill will intended. Just sometimes we need to be reminded that dads can take care of the kids pretty good as well.

Oly

dont put the spark out, put a life jacket on every kid on the water. even on the dock.
I agree . To many sad stories of young and old not wearing life jackets . Lets also add waders not wearing belts to stop the wader from filling up and pulling the angler down.

Lets hear more happy stories about the your spark and your mentoring

That igniting spark for me. Brentwood Bay renting the Gilberts Marina and BrentwoodBay Rental chugger at 5 years old. No down riggers, and Alvey reels, peetz weights. Never been same since and I am sure there are few from Brentwood kids on here. Now I pass that on to my kids.

Also rented boats out of Gilberts with my grandfather when I was a kid and later a friend and I bought our own narrow beam 16 footer with the 10 hp inboard Briggs and Stratton and kept it moored there. We were very proud of it as it actually had a reverse gear transmission and we did not have to push it out of the slip like some of the others. I still remember that slow speed 'put put put' as you could hear the single piston fire.

Last edited:
We were poor and couldn't afford rods so we used hand lines at Stanley Park and caught perch. We had so much fun with dad

Also rented boats out of Gilberts with my grandfather when I was a kid and later a friend and I bought our own narrow beam 16 footer with the 10 hp inboard Briggs and Stratton and kept it moored there. We were very proud of it as it actually had a reverse gear transmission and we did not have to push it out of the slip like some of the others. I still remember that slow speed 'put put put' as you could hear the single piston fire.

When is stalled it wasn't fun!

My spark was ignited in Campbell River circa 1986 with my dad , launching a 14’ Lund tinny with a 9.9 Evinrude main; out of the old Ken Ford’s ramp. $5 honour system! 20 minutes to get across to Francisco Point , running herring strip behind a 6-8 ounce lead and about 24-36 pulls. Usually about an hour to get our limit of four coho each, and then back to Ken Fords to have breakfast at that little joint that served breakfast and coffee. Anyone remember that little place? Looking back it could have been a bus, or an old train car. Can’t quite remember.
That was Agnes’s it was trailer.

When is stalled it wasn't fun!

Yup. We learned that once in a while a piece of carbon would break off and jam one of the valves open, so no compression and it would not start. We leaned to take out the plug and use some spray cleaner with a long small tube to blow out the carbon under the valve and it would start again. Very reliable motors and only once did we have to paddle in which was not hard to do as it was easy to paddle, being wood and light and narrow beam. I remember when we got the first blue down riggers and no sounder. Luckily you could get a 10lb ball for about $6.00. Even with a chart we lost a lot of them but eventually had the bottom depth and reefs memorized in the spots we really liked and would adjust the ball up and down as we moved along without even thinking about it.

Last edited:
The spark for me was in the 1960's. I was just a wee lad, my dad had a float home in Barkley sound, hence my handle here. What a time that was, incredible fishing, endless fun. We used to travel there every weekend from Port Alberni starting in a 15 foot Sangstercraft with a 50 merc on it. We later upgraded to a bigger boat but that whole experience lit a fire in me where I've enjoyed 55 years of fishing.

I've lit the fire in both my kids, one has taken to it more than the other but it's fun to watch them and they both enjoy a day on the water with the old grump. I could care less if I caught a fish when there's a newbie on board. I get far more pleasure from watching a newbie have success and passing the spark.

I have a friend who has recently started fishing in the last year or two, he is a very avid golfer. We have a plan to fish on Sunday. He told me this morning that he's more excited about fishing on Sunday than he is about his stupid golf game today. Mission accomplished!! haha

My spark was when my dad took me to a fishing derby on mill lake in abbotsford in 1993. we went out on his yellow inflatable and dragged around a flat fish. we ended up hooking a 5Lb rainbow which he let me reel in! it turned out to be the derby winner and i still have that trophy on my wall. ever since ive been really into fishing, spending countless hours on the vedder back when you could go out and troll up double digits of coho, and now most of my fishing out on the local chuck. Im trying to get my 2.5 year old girl into fishing but shes not really into it yet, loves the boat rides though.

My spark came from my grandad starting when I was five or so. Lots of memories fishing out of Esquimalt and waving to the coho ferry hoping it would bring us coho luck. On the real nice days we would launch out of Sooke and that was a blast. I caught my biggest fish there when I was a little kid, reeled it in with the rod still in the holder.
He was quite the fisherman, still remember the burns on his hand from landing a 48 lbs spring with his good old wooden knuckle busters. That won him a trip to langara lodge.
He passed away but my dad kept my passion alive with all the camping trips to the many amazing lakes and rivers we have in B.C. and the Yukon.
And now I am trying to pass along that spark to my kids. We bought our first boat this summer and look forward to fueling the spark.

Naturely My daughter and her big brother is alway competing with each other especially when they are fishing with their dad. A new competition has arrived. My daughter fiancee has never caught a fish nor a salmon in his life. So what does dad do but take them both out. Well , when Troy catches his first pink salmon ever before Jessica hooked into one the race was on . Each one bad mouthing the other for fun. The smile on Troy face was all the reward I needed and he couldn't stop talking about his adventure and how he beat his future bride.
P9010167.jpeg

Back