2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Not impossible that it could be a hybrid, very rare for coho-chinook cross-breeding but it does occur and they are sampled from time to time. My initial reaction based on the size (20 pounder this far south in early August), spotting all along the back and some down to the lateral line and, particularly, the spotting on the dorsal fin strongly suggests chinook.

I do agree the mouth is a bit odd, some sections look black-gummed, others don’t. Tail spotting looks pretty similar to the other chinooks in the pic, but can’t see the whole thing in either pic. Clincher would be the smell - no mistaking the stink of a big chinook when you haul them on board.

If you are at all curious about it being a hybrid, i’d be willing to bet if you contacted the Pacific Biological Station and tolsd them you may have a hybrid they’d test a DNA sample for you. PM me if you want a contact.

Cheers!

Ukee

nice work Robert
beauty Coho ,
yup there big out west ,pretty sure you know the difference pal ,dont listen to these guys,,,,
multiple over 20 a few years ago ,
not uncommon...

lets keep the bs on the other reports thread , @ Mr" a few Associates of mine" /I know it all /Guide Ball Gravy Licker .....

fd
Thanks Felix, you're building back my confidence :) Hope to see u soon !!!

nice work Robert
beauty Coho ,
yup there big out west ,pretty sure you know the difference pal ,dont listen to these guys,,,,
multiple over 20 a few years ago ,
not uncommon...

lets keep the bs on the other reports thread , @ Mr" a few Associates of mine" /I know it all /Guide Ball Gravy Licker .....

fd
Oppps

It’s a Chinook. Agreed that it has pretty light colouring in some areas of the mouth for a Chinook but it doesn’t have coho gums nor does the body resemble a coho in any way. Fire the pics off to a salmon biologist, I’m sure they will ID as Chinook.
good call, maybe they can identify pre frozen Tuna while they are at it..

the last 2 months in Bam has been a whirlwind of adventure!! the offshore weather sure sucked for june and most of all july, chased off or no go was common...thank god the fishing inside was fair to good. As of late the halibut offshore has been lets say pretty damb great , usually getting hali done in the morning by 8 a.m. , then off to the salmon grounds.... Coho have been more than cooperating, the usual smaller grade of chins have been consistent also on the banks... a recent turn in water temps has brought on a strong algae bloom inside. we have been fishing below this band of warm water as i asked a diving friend how deep this thermocline goes.. 50-60' max.. 70' with small spoons has been the most constant producer of the returning chins. we had 4 over 20lbs on night bite during the flood 3 nights ago.. the outside spots have been giving up far more fish than the usual inside spots so far. Keeha, Pachena, Beale, sail rock, ships etc. whales have congregated on mass at the 5 mile to big bank so be cautious when travelling. if you find yourself in the middle of them, shut down motor and sonar and enjoy the shows. Really have been incredible this year. three days off in the ****** city and then back at it. sea ya'll out there... swell dancer.

Buddy had a good afternoon off of great bear. Springs and coho Small spoons. Decent size springs with a tyee lost a a the boat, due to an anxious netman! Sounds like the Stamps springs are pushing in as a few of the springs had colour.
Hopefully a good next 6 weeks!
As to the Chinook coho debate....I bet the house Fishtofino, Jackel, Serengeti and myself have seen more springs than any fisheries biologist will in there lifetime! Great fish though!!

Last edited:
Spring ? Coho?
at the end of the day , did it really matter ?, i never personally seen the fish ,
it definateley has the characteristics of a spring , you pros are prob correct ,
weve seen multiple coho the past 2 weeks pushin the 20 lb mark i guess is atleast my point ,and soon they will be common at the tables again
Robert is a newer fisherman at the Nook , and knows how to put them on the deck !!!one of the top rods there forsure...
he questioned it obviously at the tables , others convinced him it was a coho , so a coho it was lol
does it really matter ? its a legal fish , and hes proud of it , as he should be , hopefully he keeps posting legit reports for you all !!
as far as legitamatey knowing , dont think he really cares , it was red , and is bein smoked lol
the head is being sent in...

end of debate .....

, thx again.Robert ..
keep slayin..
felix

Yes, a good fish regardless. Hard to describe in words, or do when deciding whether to release, but the smell of a chinook is distinct.

Got here yesterday - fished the afternoon at Beale and got a 12 on bait. Travelled over to Kirby for late evening and got another 12lb spring there. Lots of shakers and a couple of missed hits.

Today, very slow for us and many boats we were with had the same results and frustration.

Meares Bluff in morning we lost a screamer, tons of shakers and then got sealed on a gooder. Left for Fleming and only shakers and saw one caught.

We are throwing everything at them and it's really slow on the inside. Sure, a couple fish here and ther but many boats with zero or maybe 1-2 small fish after many hours of work.

See what tomorrow holds...

Just got back from 9 days at the nook. Off shore was the place to be. Weather was not bad only one lumpy day offshore. No real big fish. But lots of fish. Inside was picking up.

Back