Smoked Black cod?

sniperren

I have four fillets of Black Cod I will be smoking for Christmas. Anybody ever tried it? Looking for recipe or suggestions?

Cheers

Sniperren

I usually smoke it the same as my Salmon using a dry brine of 5-6 parts sugar to 1 part salt. See my Indian Candy recipe for full instructions. You can then poach it in milk if you want to warm it for a meal, or simply have it for snacks as you would with smoked Salmon.

I have hot smoked it before using a salmon brine. Everyone loved it. I did try cold smoking it but I did not like it very much.

I recently received my hot smoked sablefish from st jeans. Its good but very rich. It came from a 17# sablefish so maybe it had more fat then typical?

Any suggestions on how to incorporate it into a recipe? I like it the way it us but there must be other ways to enjoy it

I recently received my hot smoked sablefish from st jeans. Its good but very rich. It came from a 17# sablefish so maybe it had more fat then typical?

Any suggestions on how to incorporate it into a recipe? I like it the way it us but there must be other ways to enjoy it

Done right one of my favorite but not so much with the younger ones . long slow cold smoke with alder or oak off cuts .. Brine 70% sugar split 50/50 white /yellow with 30% pickling salt and dill weed layered. ( old family use to put nettle weed in layers) soaked for 12 hrs Not dry brine just wet enough, rinsed and hung to dry before smoking. hot smoked for the last 1hr. bagged when cool.

Recipes: I use the same brine mix for just about anything including pork loins.

Sub this for clams and bacon in chowder ... Chilli beans add to chilli just before serving ..

My wife sometimes substitutes smoked salmon for chicken in her chicken pot pie recipe and it’s awesome. I bet smoked sablefish would be as good.

when I have folk over in cooler weather or a bank lunch, I make a goulash of sorts, including smoked whatever fish ,smoked pork trims/ jowl , root veg .. and bulked up with german egg noodles or dumplings . Roux is started with some smoked salmon and butter, watch the salt don't add any until plated , as the salt intensifies in soup or stew,, and reason we often along with the chopped up potatoes , we put several large pieces of potato in and remove them as a side dish.. they absorb a lot the salt, sweet garden peas etc.. also we use a cajun ( home made) mix with the normal salt left out.. ( both the wife and I have had serious heart attacks). BTW start the stew using the pork /bacon cook the veg until almost done , then add the sea food peas .. same for chilli like , cook it all first , the seafood breaks up easy .. you just need to warm it .. if dumplings I use bigger cuts of fish

ILGH ... re: your smoked sablefish ... you asked about other ways to enjoy it now that it's already smoked ...

You could crack a cold beer and watch me sample it and enjoy seeing the smile of satisfaction on my face lol.

As a fellow fisherman from AB, I would make that sacrifice for you ;)

My wife sometimes substitutes smoked salmon for chicken in her chicken pot pie recipe and it’s awesome. I bet smoked sablefish would be as good.
My Dad's aunt in the hebrides, use to make basically a cornish pasty with smoked haddock instead of red meat and they were awesome.. I can see the same with fish subbing chicken.
I know some on the west coast , prefer Salmon and turn their noses up at White fish, When kids Salmon was a rare dish for us, as a caught salmon was traded for white fish ( haddock / Cod ) and one salmon would fetch enough in trade to feed the extended family for week.. Humble but rich times .

probably pretty good on a bagel with plain cream cheese. send me some and ill let you know lol

Back