Tales From The Tyee Pool........2018

Thanks crab bait and...........................................IT'S ON!!!!

5:55 AM this morning saw Mike Dougan rowing Nathan Boutilier into the first Tyee of 2018, a 33 1/2 pounder that fell for the seductive swimming of a favoured spoon.

Nathan is the newest member of the Tyee Club now but hopefully not the last as I'm rowing a rookie tonite and have a favoured spoon too. LOL

Stoked to have one so early as it was the 8th. of August last year before the first two Tyee were registered, with Chris Cook beating out the other Tyee by a couple of hours to claim first of the year.

Tonite will show a bigger number of boats plying the pool methinks and now the first has been caught anticipation reigns supreme.

Hope, too.

Take care.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the first Tyee of 2018 I neglected to post earlier.

My bad.

Those of you on Facebook can check out the Tyee Club of BC page for updates too, if you so desire.

1stTyee2018.jpg

Good going guys and well done.

Nothing since aside from a couple of strikes I'm told, but they should show up soon and I'm ready and waiting.

Take care.

There was quite the flotilla out there last night about 8.00pm , even was some heading out about 8.20 .. noticed that power boat being a bit inconsiderate ..

There was quite the flotilla out there last night about 8.00pm , even was some heading out about 8.20 .. noticed that power boat being a bit inconsiderate ..

Weird as there were a dozen out last nite but nowhere near that number tonite.

Actually, despite the early first Tyee we're historically still a bit early, but anytime now.

Take care.

Late Monday and no new Tyee although a little 22 pounder was weighed this morning.

This weekend will have seen a number of boats launched for the season and that was reflected by having 17 or so boats out tonight, versus the seven or so out most recent nights.

Soon............

Take care.

Is there a requirement to be rowed by a guide to be in this contest? Could a guy just show up, fish from a kayak or canoe by himself, land a tyee and get that coveted pin?

Is there a requirement to be rowed by a guide to be in this contest? Could a guy just show up, fish from a kayak or canoe by himself, land a tyee and get that coveted pin?

As long as you have registered with the Weighmaster at the Tyee Clubhouse and use approved tackle you need not use a guide at all.

You can row yourself, paddle yourself or use a pedal-powered kayak and as long as you are registered and using legal gear you can join the club upon catching a Chinook over 30 lbs.

Go for it.

Take care.

Well on the first evening I get to town the next tyee was registered in the pool last night, See they are just waiting for me I tell ya lol. I can’t wait to get out there now!

I'm so far behind here I think I'm leading, but will make amends here.

Wed. nite and I hosted a great guy I rowed last year and we managed a thorough tour of the pool without being bothered by any strikes or other nuisances, so, another normal outing with me.

He's from Calgary and a keen fly fishing guy with a great history on the Bow and other nearby highly respected trout streams, and it was strange for me to hear of 24" Rainbows and even bigger Browns and Bull trout and then have him remark of how one's POV can vary so much depending on the quarry we seek.

A 24" Rainbow caught on a fly in a river is a very worthy achievement for any angler so he thought it strange we scoff at a 24 pounder as "under-sized". LOL

Last night I rowed a local business owner who I'd threatened to take out for a few years now but we struck out fish-wise despite a lovely evening on the water.

As we were heading in at dark I noted Mike Mackie and son Landon heading towards the Clubhouse, which told me something might have been boated because that's not where he keeps his boat so to weigh a fish was the only reason to be heading that way. (I'm incredibly brilliant at noting the obvious.)

Sure enough, as was noted earlier, Mike had rowed young Landon to a beauty 36 1/2 pounder, the second Tyee of the year and right on time, historically.

I'm planning on rowing a bigger one tonight with my rookie rod-holder so will update you later on that.

In the meantime, here's the one caught by that young whipper-snapper Landon Mackie last night.

DSCF0467-293x300.jpg

Take care.

Saturday AM amidst the thunder and lightning finds the scoreboard at the Tyee Clubhouse inscribed with two new members of the Tyee Club, both rowed in last night.

I rowed Adam last night, another of those fly fishing types from Calgary who always turn out to be great company, but failed to elicit a strike for him, despite being in the right place at the right time as there was a nice little "bite" last night and right on schedule too.

As we arrived at where I wanted to be the guy ahead of us got bit and after a nice circling move in the pool with a fish on they got it out and away they went on the ebb.

We'd pulled our line up until they cleared away and just as we got back in someone on the inside of us got bit but it was small so they stayed inside to play it.

But a few moments later as we again were set up and fishing Randy Killoran yelled "There he is!" as his rod-holder struck and Randy pulled hard on the oars, heading out.

We were about 60' away when he got bit.

Adam noted someone else north of us playing a fish too and in the darkening eve we saw the net being lifted and heard a squeal of delight and the voice of an obviously young person exclaiming: "I got my fish!! I got my fish!!"

Not much later Ted Milbrandt hooked up with what turned out to be a 27 pounder on the scale.

But here's the great part.

The young voice exalting over getting a fish belonged to Raeya Mackie, the eight year old daughter of Mike Mackie, and weighed 32 1/2 pounds on the scale, not quite as big as her brother Landon's , the 36 1/2 pound fish of two nights ago.

The kicker is that Bob, the Weighmaster, told me that before they went out last night she was telling everyone that she was going to get a fish and that it would be bigger than her brothers too.

She got her fish but it wasn't quite as big as Landon's, so the sibling rivalry continues.
Bob said she was strutting around the yard at the Clubhouse proud as could be, and who could blame her?
Eight years old and in the Tyee Club as a Junior Angler, rowed by Dad Mike who is off to a great start in the Tyee Father Of The Year contest I just started. LOL

Speaking of eight years, I'm led to believe that's at least how long Bryan Rickert had been trying for a Tyee and last night he finally got one.

Rowed by Rob Turko, Bryan weighed in a 30 1/2 pounder that just snuck him into the Tyee Club last night, but it WAS a Tyee and that's what counts.

Randy didn't bring in a fish so it must have escaped and I think another either got away or was an obvious under so wasn't weighed, but it was nice to see a real "bite" happen and it's certainly encouraging as we had but three Tyee on this date last year and we have four now.

And coincidence or not, as we were starting off last night one of my pals yelled out that it was supposed to be a time of "high activity" as he called it around 8:30 PM.
I suspect he'd looked at the Solunar Tables some people use given his use of the term, "high activity", and sure enough, it was between 8:30 and 8:45 that the "bite" went off.

High activity indeed!!

Fun evening and a new friend met who helped maintain my reputation as a mere tour guide but at least we witnessed some action, so it's all good.

Maybe tonight.

Raeya-Mackie-new-junior-member-32.5-lbs-Aug-10-2018-845-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Mike-Mackie-Dad2-300x225.jpg

Bryan-Rickert-new-member-30.5-lbs-Aug-10-2018-845-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-rookie-rower-Rob-Turko-300x225.jpg

Take care.

Last edited:
That’s awesome Dave thanks for the update, we were watching you guys out there last night was a beautiful night out there! I brought the tyees with me I’m telling you mine is just waiting for me now lol

Thanks again Dave for taking me out! Was pretty cool to see all the people hooking up within such a short period of time. Best of luck the rest of the season

Well, Sunday morning and another Tyee from last night on the board.

Bob Main rowed his brother Greg into a 31 1/2 pounder last night just as we were hooking one ourselves which my rookie rod-holder broke off.

Sigh.

Got my plug back so that's good but breaking one off is hard to take for sure, given how few hook-ups one gets.

Interesting to note that of the five Tyee registered to date four are the first ones for the angler and three of the rowers were first timers also.

The other rower is Mike Mackie, who has rowed two so far, both for his kids, only one of whom was a rookie as Landon got one last year.

And the beat goes on.

We'll get 'em tonight. LOL

NOTE: My rod-holder last night claims to be a Campbell River born and raised gal, but she can't row a boat, she can't run an outboard and she broke off a fish in the Tyee Pool.

I'm starting to think she's really from Saskatchewan. Ha ha ha.

Take care.

Last edited:
Knowing how excited Bob would be upon rowing his first ever Tyee I could hardly wait until the photo of the guys was available.

Here it is and you can tell what I mean about excitement.

Greg-Main-new-member-31.5-lbs-Aug-11-2018-900-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Bob-Main-rookie-rower-300x225.jpg

That's Bob on the left. LOL

Take care.

Hi Dave, back in Calgary after a smoky trip home and I see I missed the start of the real action by only a day or two! Next time. Thanks again for taking me out and may the fish gods smile on you for the rest of the season!

Back