Tuna, 2018 - it won't be long

What is everyone using for water temp I downloaded fishtrack and it doesn’t seem to be working for central-north island and I just havnt wanted to pay for terrafin but is that the only way?

20 miles off of Brooks peninsula,30 miles from Kaines, we first ran 50 from the lighthouse,for nothing. Then trolled down to off brooks. I think if we had gone there first we would have done much better.Hard to get a lot of info.up here, we usually have to go out and find them(hopefully).
Next fishable day we get, we're trying again, but looks like lot's of wind and big seas for the next week at least. Sun=wind up here.

Last edited:
wow....whats the LIMIT?
20 per day per person.. good luck icing and stowing.. most boats are limited by ice and space.
3 years ago i went with tickety blue, just me and him. his boat a 23' monaro, we tried , and couldnt fit any more without wasting fish. 36 total.

20 miles off of Brooks peninsula,30 miles from Kaines, we first ran 50 from the lighthouse,for nothing. Then trolled down to off brooks. I think if we had gone there first we would have done much better.Hard to get a lot of info.up here, we usually have to go out and find them(hopefully).
Next fishable day we get, we're trying again, but looks like lot's of wind and big seas for the next week at least. Sun=wind up here.
Great to hear Bob, thanks for the intel! There will be a couple of us up in winter harbour from August 30th through September 7th. The Tuna water should be even closer by then, anyone wanting to buddy boat for a couple shots out let me know.

Cheers

Great to hear Bob, thanks for the intel! There will be a couple of us up in winter harbour from August 30th through September 7th. The Tuna water should be even closer by then, anyone wanting to buddy boat for a couple shots out let me know.

Cheers
Sounds good, I'll have at least a couple boats with me from Port Alice. I'll give you a call on 12 or 69.Are you launching from Port Alice or Coal Harbour?

Sounds good, we will launch in coal harbour, and head out to Oli’s on Friday, I believe Smiley will be joining us as well. We will be on 69, or Oli’s channel (19 I believe) or pm me.;)
Sounds good, I'll have at least a couple boats with me from Port Alice. I'll give you a call on 12 or 69.Are you launching from Port Alice or Coal Harbour?

I've fished for albacore out from Westport before but would like to try a local charter. Can anyone suggest a good charter for tuna located here on the VI? Thank you

Labour Day Weekend Tofino tuna trip trip anybody? If anybody more experienced than me (and I have not done much for tuna) is interested in chipping in for gas and wants to come along or others guys with their own boats are interested in teaming up, my wife and I are going out Labour Day weekend (she's a hardcore fisherwoman, worked in Haida for three years). We have room for two more people in the boat (23ft hardtop aluminium Wolf Boat, radar / electronics, big kicker, two fuel tanks, radio etc.). Send me a message if interested. We've fished Big Bank area lots but we are not experienced with chasing Tuna, would love somebody to show the ropes. I do believe I have all the gear now though. Message me if interested.

Last edited:
Not too experienced, but we should be around and if the water is good we'll go out! For us all depends on the water.

Bob,

Any reports of any more tuna out of Winter Harbour?

Starting to get the fever now that the season is winding down.

Will be headed to stay with Oli for his derby Sept 6-10

Quite a few boys from the north island that are chomping at the bit.

Water looks like it’s moving in quite nicely, 25-30 miles off Cain’s right now. Hope it holds and has some fish in it.

Look forward to hearing any repeorts Bob

Cheers

Back