looking for a new bbq

Turns out I didn't know this...Jackson grills are made in china...The inventor I was told moved direction with line top expand with new owner, so now they are all made in china. Sorry I thought they were made here still. It may have a few designers but its manufacturing is off shored...

My guess from that is that weber,vermont castings, napoleon etc... have probably all gone this route some time ago to remain competitive in industry and pull best profit.... Being how a lot of the manufacturers are also from hearth industry and have some gas stove products I an not surprised at all. Seems to be getting harder to find anything local. I just some of these manufacturers would be honest. Its not to say these grills aren't good but I wouldn't assume these are all made here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Doing a bit of research on pellet smokers, I thought I’d reanimate this old thread. Pellet stove in apartment above my shop needs a new fan and when I got to the woodstove store, this baby was on sale. It’s a Green Mountain Grill pellet Smoker/BBQ. On for 30% off an already reduced price. Still wasn’t cheap but I took the bait anyways. And it’s a Daniel Boone model and I’m into black powder shooting so that made me laugh. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about getting one for a while and have had my eye on the one the next size down from this. But at only $150 more for almost double the size and seeing as it’s wi/fi capable, I couldn’t resist. Still studying up the manual, and proof is in the product but I have high hopes. I can say that it is very heavily built and that it seems of good quality. Fit and finish is very good but then it wasn’t a $200 bbq so I’d expect as much. I’ll update in a couple days after I figure out how to run it and I smoke something.image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

I've owned a Primo Oval XL ceramic grill (like the big green egg but bigger) for 8 years now and I still love it. It's charcoal and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do also have a big propane party grill for doing 150 hot dogs when required.

I've owned a Primo Oval XL ceramic grill (like the big green egg but bigger) for 8 years now and I still love it. It's charcoal and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do also have a big propane party grill for doing 150 hot dogs when required.

X2 on the charcoal. I’ve got a small offset I’ve used til now. Mmmmm, My wife’s got a Chinese bbq pork recipe that’s amazing done over charcoal with no smoke. Very close to what you get in Vancouver’s Chinatown.

X2 on the charcoal. I’ve got a small offset I’ve used til now. Mmmmm, My wife’s got a Chinese bbq pork recipe that’s amazing done over charcoal with no smoke. Very close to what you get in Vancouver’s Chinatown.
I think a lot of people miss that point. You don't need to add smoke to charcoal to "smoke" food. Good hardwood charcoal gives a perfect light smoke flavor.

Yes. I smoke different foods different ways. Add chips early and often, or late in the game, thick smoke or thin smoke. Different smoke timings too. I like to eat. And I like to smoke food. And I like to experiment. So it’s a win win win for me. Not too often something comes off the smoker that’s so “bad” it’s inedible.

8CA28ED1-3B58-446F-8A4A-19C7614C3306.jpeg Chicken thighs are hard to mess up so did up a small batch of those. Mmmmm tasty as always. This things a Cadillac. My temp setting never varied more than 1 degree through the whole smoking cycle. iPhone app is simple to use and it’s almost set it and forget it. Only thing I’d call a draw back is the range of the wifi transmitter. Need to be within 20 feet of it to pick it up on my phone but minor inconvenience for what it is. Now, I’ve got a pork shoulder in the freezer calling my name haha.

I have a Komodo Kamado and love it. These units are made in Indonesia, are ceramic and stainless and weigh close to 650 pounds. The price point is stupid.....but they rule! Google Komodo Kamado for more info.......:)

SS

Big Green Egg! They are amazing and very versatile. Steaks at 600f or low and slow at 250 pulled pork or ribs. I switched 4 years ago and won’t go back. They are very simple so there is nothing that can really wear out so they have a good warranty. A bag of charcoal costs and lasts about the same as a tank of propane.

Big Green Egg! They are amazing and very versatile. Steaks at 600f or low and slow at 250 pulled pork or ribs. I switched 4 years ago and won’t go back. They are very simple so there is nothing that can really wear out so they have a good warranty. A bag of charcoal costs and lasts about the same as a tank of propane.
I have a Komodo Kamado and love it. These units are made in Indonesia, are ceramic and stainless and weigh close to 650 pounds. The price point is stupid.....but they rule! Google Komodo Kamado for more info.......:)

SS
You guys wanna compare grill area?! ;):p

Webber genisis are great grills. Mines on its 8th year now. It's all original, have only cleaned it. Use it about once a week on average for the entire year.

We had a Vermont casting that lasted a good 15 years. We now have a saber two burner gas grill. It was a little pricey but its a great grill. It smokes a lot and cooks evenly and quick. I haven't burnt anything because there's no flame ups.

Back