Salmon Rod, best light power rod

eriks

I was hoping to get some opinions on a great light power salmon rod. My rods are Sage SA4110’s and they’re amazing on larger salmon, but I think they’re too powerful for the typically smaller salmon found around the Lower Mainland.

Do you guys find a huge difference between the budget savvy rods like the Shimano Convergence compared to some of the rods quoted above? We switched out our stiffer 8'6" rods 5 or 6 years ago and run Convergence now. I really like the rod and it is a game changer compared to what I was used to. It's seems like a lot of folks have a little more invested in their rods......just curious about how they compare.

I went to the G-Loomis because i love the bend i get from fish of all sizes. As an interior fly fisherman i love catching fish on light weight rods so i can feel every head shake. I feel like i get the same feeling from my salmon rod. Yes it was a tad bit more expensive but i feel i am getting my value out of it.

I like my med/heavy convergence rods I know alot of guys blow em up pulling on the clip too hard sometimes but Ive yet to have that issue, Love the action all the way through the backbone of the rod.

Ive run convergence for a while and have one medium technium. Also have 3 and 4 power trophy rods. Id say price/performace/durability go to the technium. Its a little nicer action than the convergence, and more durable than both the convergence and trophys. Those trophys are nicer but $$$.

The Shimano Technium’s Light is a great Rod and has lasted a long time . Although my son thinks they lack the backbone to pull large salmon away from everybody else I also own a medium which I hardly ever use because I think it is to heavy

I own an Amundsen Saavy Sumo which i love it’s the medium heavy; it is very stiff. i also own a tecnium medium heavy which i just picked up. me and wifey were fishing plugs the other night when hers somehow swam around my DR line ( probably happened on the drop and i missed it) anyway her rod starts bouncing like she had a fish on and she goes for it. she had that rod almost touching ends and it didn’t snap. had to fix it by bringing the whole mess up. needless to say i was impressed by the strength of the rod but still very flexible.

I love my custom tied Rainshadow RX6 moocher 10-25. Its got lots of backbone yet very sensitive to really feel the fish. Beyond the excellent performance, it looks amazing and stands out amongst all other rods.

Plus the gunmetal components, wraps and reel match my boat!

I have a convergence as well for a second rod, and its pretty damn decent for the price.

Define best? More $$$ does not always mean 'best.' Though some people seem to think having the most expensive gear does. I think Sage rods fit very nicely into that category. Totally overpriced, but anyone who uses one will take insult that you don't agree and others will think you're some kind of philistine for not grovelling at the dollars spent on the rod.

I think anyone is quite hard pressed to beat the pure bang for the buck from a Shimano Convergence. I also really like my Shimano Talora. Lots of people like the Shimano Techniums too. Hmmm, are we sensing a theme here?

Guide series Techniums are my favorite for work. Convergence are fine and I also have an HMX for special occasions. Oh, and a few Taloras for special situations and back-ups...

Shimano Techniums are great rods, and I like them in the 10 footers.

I fell in love with the Fenwick Eagle GT HMG downrigger rods I bought 4 years ago. These things are amazing. I love the feel they have, the action, and they look great. These are IM6, high modulus graphite rods. For $100 each, you can't beat them, if you can find them.

Shimano has discontinued their Convergence mooching rods. They’ve been redesigned and will now be called Clarus Mooching. It’ll be interesting to see how they redesign them. Shimano rarely changes things without making them better so if you can wait that’s what I’d do.

Back