18' Sangster renovation......input request

Ok everyone, I’m resurrecting this old thread....A little update on where I’m at here, and a little thought about the upcoming project...After getting this boat last spring, Wolf was sorta right, the condenser and the points were shot, but this engine is a 2.3L mercruiser 120. This little thing ran last summer, got us through our family trip to Nootka, and alas, has given up the ghost this year. I’ve been insanely busy, and haven’t had time to deal with this thing over the spring, but the engine is now seized. That’s it for her, Kaput, done. However, after running this old war bird last summer, I’ve come to really like it, and the added sentimental value of it being a hand-me down, I don’t have the heart to sell it. After reviewing this thread, and others, I’m still torn as to the advantages or dis advantages of a step up, Vs. A hull extension pod. It seems that a step up will lend greater speed, while a hull extension may increase the handling, and stability of the boat. For some reason, I’m leaning toward a step up, even though I might get cavitation problems. I’m definitely open to hearing theories on this topic, Perhaps I’ll start a new thread on that. As far as power goes, Seeing as that little 120 pushed this boat reasonably well, I think a 150 will make her scream across the waves like a mustard comet! That is where my head is at with that, once again, open to theories. This girl will be getting striped down later in the month, once I get her tent built. I’m in no hurry, so I might as well give this thing a go!

If you can, find someone - close by to where you live - who has done a conversion, go see him/her and get a first-hand accounting of what it was like during the rebuild process, and find out what considerations they took into account along the way.

If you’re in the Comox Valley - let me know - my conversion project timeline definitely wasn’t the speediest, but I did get it done, and it’s EXACTLY what I wanted to end up with.

Having done this myself double what you think it will cost and then add 20% to that and then you will be close

I'm a sucker for a good project though. Lol

In my younger years when planning a hunting / fishing / camping trip our general rule of thumb for bringing enough booze was “ think about what you normally drink, then double it, and then add a 60 pounder and you’ll be fine!”

sounds like the same rule applies in boat building!

Back