What is the public perception of sport fishers

Do you think the public has a bad perception of sport fishers?

• yes

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • no

Votes: 42 64.6%

• Total voters
Anywhere out side of Vancouver the public perception of sports fishermen is pretty high.

Recreational fishermen tho benefit greatly from Fresh water fisheries. Lots picture a man at a stream or lake fishing for a trout with their kids.

The public perception of commercial fisheries tho definitely not that good. Years of being bombarded by picture of dead turtles, dolphins and whales caught up in fishing gear has done some serious harm.

This is not exactly real. If you recognize that a majority of speak is within the realm of the angler class and among one another within this fraternity then perhaps this is a strong relation to such...otherwise, I'd have to relay that the general public for the most part will have next to zero formidable inspection or knowledge thereof. :)

This is from my high school friends that don’t fish and could care less about a fish.

What they see is on tv or in the news ect.. and from urban lowermainland

These are the same type of people that buy beef from a store but think killing a cow is inhuman

I’m talking about urban milininals. The new up and comming largest voting block in this Provence.

Be real...KIDS DON"T WATCH THE NEWS. :)

They watch Facebook news and face book news says commercial fishing is bad. It’s depleting our stocks world wide and killing whales, turtles and dolphins and everything that’s cute.

Keep in mind these are the same people that will go to the store and buy a salmonn because some blog said they are healthy.

It doesn’t have to make sense

Last edited:
The reality is most people don’t give a **** about fish and they would be pissed if the government spent their tax dollars on supporting fisheries.

Low cost housing developments that whipe out salmon stocks bring it on. People want cheap afforable housing. More Funding to their schools, better hospitals and social services.

Fish don’t even make it onto most political platforms yet their managed by politics.

Again this is from a Vancouver perspective.

Ymmv

People, not just millennials, tend to believe what they are told via whoever they trust.

Lately it tends to be whoever lines up with whatever their self image is, more often than not politically driven these days.

Individually this can change in an instant, but that requires a certain scenario.

In the case of how sport fisherman are viewed, you need to look at world wide coverage of a dead Orca calf and then try and describe yourself as not a heartless boat owning red neck to someone who has this constant message drip fed to them.

Hence my post in the Van reports section about Bon Chovy’s slayfest photo. These images get used against us, repeatedly.

Never mind any fishing sector...the real people know that the only solution is for all fishing sectors to get together under a respectful dialog and to create a beneficial format whereby all sectors participate equally in developing a formal partnership whereby all can help to create substantial change in shared fisheries abundance. We all must stop complaining about UN mandates that Canada must abide. Canada in forming, f*cked up slow butt solution that fit the real flow of reconciliation. Canada must abide. That's it. :)

Yeah and most of the population would rather give up fish then have First Nations leave the reserves.Give em some fish keep em happy.

Maybe they will stay out of the other social services that most Canadians care about.

Lets publicly talk about the real reason that the public must be involved in the solution toward building monumental sustainable fisheries abundance in Canada in whole or in part from coast to coast...It's all about what DFO has KILLED ALREADY. DFO IS GOD IN ALL CANADIAN FEDERAL FISHERIES. Under the GUise of Fisheries MaNagEmeNt ThEy F*CkeD Up! They crossed the public TRUST all across Canada. They totally F*cked up! Canada owes all Canadians a solution that will build the future.View attachment 39508

I agree with you stormtrooper as a fellow fishermen.

But from the general public point of view..

how about we don’t sink tax dollars into useless fisheries that are such a small amount of our GDP. Let’s contiune to cut cut cut because remember DFO is the enemy so the last thing they need is another cent of our tax money.

Sure pacific salmon are iconic species but spend my tax dollars on it? Forget it

I want cheap housing, good paying jobs(do fisheries offer paying jobs anymore??) who the hell is a fishermen for a living any more? Do thoes people even exists?

So many reasons to not spend a cent to support fisheries and fishermen.

People don't give a sh*t about sport fishers. Most don't have a clue we exist. All they care out is impacts. An Orca pushing its dead baby for 2 weeks because there isn't enough Chinook Salmon for it to feed. Thats what they care about. They don't understand the causes or mismanagement impacts. It just comes down to how do they stop people from taking or using natural resources. This Province is anti anything that has to do with fun. And its getting worse every year.

That's not real. You are not educated at all in Canada's history and how the UN is forcing Canada to change. Canada is guilty of monetizing fish as a currency for paying a debt recognized by the UN and enforced by said. Guilty is guilty. Why not simplify it all and pay it out fully and completely. 17% of Canada's population, 5% of British Columbia...assimilation failed demonsterously. Given 'em fish. F*ck Off Canada. Equal opportunity is all we really want. History tells us that you'd rather see me dead. :)

I am HAIDA status Indian. The Government has still not provided me with an official card after numerous years...each year I must apply for a temporary status document which is only valid for one year , I have a number that I must apply for every year. I pay income tax at my job every month, everything I buy I pay PST and GST, I buy a sport fishing license to fish in Tidal waters in BC. I have a Aboriginal Commercial License that I pay for, I am required to report. I have a personal commercial fisher license that allows me to fish with regular commercial fisheries and I have permission to fish with a local band as a food fisher. Failing these documents I then contravene the fisheries act. This said, why the f*ck do I want to be part of Canada's Indian Act? Because If I am, then I am simply a child of the state unlike every other free living Canadian Citizen of Canada, all restrictions under the act I must abide. ******' BS. Do you really feel that 5% of BC's population is f*cking you over? Grow up and join the humans that really want to develop change. Start the dialog...its up to you Canada. The opportunity continues to be available for all sectors to form an equally beneficial mandate toward sustainable fisheries in British Columbia. Just do it. Ask me. I ain't special, but I know the right people in every sector. If all you want to do is bag, then just go away. Let us build positive solutions for all of our shared fishing opportunities. All fishing sectors required. :)

That’s my point fish is the currency of reconciliation and the only people that care is fishermen.

The general public couldent care less. The majority of Canadians don’t fish or live in BC.

Canadians don’t care about recreational fishermen, they don’t care about aboriginal fishermen and they don’t care about commercial fishermen.

The only people that care about reconciliation are the ones effected by it.

Most Canadians don’t no who sparrow is or what the Indian act is? Or that we still have something called the Indian act.

Recreational fishermen and commercial fishermen probably care the most about ffist nations because it effects their hobbies and everyday life. They understand the importance of working togeather to harvest a mutual shred restore. Yeah we rant but I bet we get the issues for more then Anyone else on the general public.

DFO's recent actions around SRKW's and Chinook populations have created a shift in public perceptions of the sport fishing industry. Poor perceptions of the recreational sector suggest that much mass and social media information about this sector is negative. Stereotypes of the industry tend to focus on the wild-catch sector as a macho, male-dominated activity where sustainability and environmental concerns are not prominent. The public is likely to base its perceptions on pre-existing stereotypes from anecdote or the mass media, which are not be often accurate. There could be advantages in the sport fishing industry taking a more proactive media stance and trying to achieve better coverage of ‘good news’ stories.

My suspicions are that the public knowledge of our sport are relatively low but interest levels are becoming higher. Unless they have a special interest, members of the public are unlikely to actively seek information about the industry nor to make much use of the sources they regard as most credible. Specific options for addressing poor public perceptions of the wild catch sector include developing a variety of media campaigns focusing on the positive contributions of the industry and relating more of the "good news stories."

Other valuable actions could be
- consultation with professional communicators and implementation of advice;
- enlisting the support of media personalities to deliver messages;
- developing and disseminating popular material giving basic facts and figures about the sector and making it available in locations the public regularly uses;
- supporting production of television infomercials that provide a balanced perspective on wild-catch fishing and its contributions; and
- developing more integrated fisheries websites, preferably managed and maintained by community-based organizations that the public regards as credible.

The industry could beneficially develop more ‘on the wharf’ links to the public, for example by establishing recreational fishing industry information sources at marinas and within commercial precincts such as tourism outlets, marine dealerships, sporting goods departments and tackle stores.

I guess I live in a different part of the world than a lot on here, in our parts it's just part of the culture, no one even thinks twice about it. People wouldn't think the water is for anything else but hanging out on and fishing.

I guess I live in a different part of the world than a lot on here, in our parts it's just part of the culture, no one even thinks twice about it. People wouldn't think the water is for anything else but ya hanging out on and fishing.

A lot of the lower mainland population has a skewed view of many things.

It's going to get even better out there for you all. The Maximum Leader himself Comrade Jagmeet Singh is running in a bi election in Surrey I believe,, make sure you tell everyone you know that lives there to vote for him,, he'll fix it lol.

my niece and her husband are both graduates of SFU's Environmental Sciences programs. They will come out salmon fishing with me. They have a much smaller freezer than me, and certainly have never canned a batch of salmon and pressure cooked it. he has worked on many ships monitoring the catch, and seems to get the hands on jobs whereas she gets the otter observation work and the paper work/ presentation seminar jobs. They have questioned my use of stainless hooks, and little else.

At my younger brothers last night - there was a couple there who are veggie eaters and somewhat opinionated on environmental subjects. I brought a salmon over for the bbq, discussed a few issues with the state of our oceans and got thier thought on this topic. They are of the opionon that sport fishing should be the only way fish should be harvested. Refreshing - as I truly thought they would be a little hostile to my love of killing fish, quit the opposite.
Fish farms lobby and pay the governements to sway opinion, I think they are the most negative.

Back