Boaters playing chicken with firefighting air tankers

now they had to shut them down because of drones.what's wrong with some people?

now they had to shut them down because of drones.what's wrong with some people?
In a perfect world - you could train the drone operators to harass the boaters and create a landing strip for the bomber! **** - only in the movies, eh?...

They drop more water per hour, more precisely, more efficient and a hell of a lot cheaper than the old Mars. Having worked with both, I would take the Fire Boss any day, especially in mountainous terrain. The old Mars had her day, but there is a reason nobody is hiring her any more.

You should see what happens when the Mars hits an area on fire......**** flies everywhere, including burning debris that is scattered from hell and back, sometimes causing more fires. It does put out the area, but only if it can get close and has an area already marked by retardant etc. In the mountains it struggles to get lift, it's payload is dispersed with the thermals and just is not efficient any more.

Amazing to watch and hear, she is a relic from the past that needs to be turned into a museum.

Cheers

SS
Three other points against the Mars, that a pilot told me: It takes a unique type of fuel that is not commonly available, it requires an enormous amount of maintenance, and the parts needed to repair and maintain it are unique and obsolete. It's a historic, but obsolete aircraft.

Not that it relates to this thread really, but those small planes are useless imo. Like dropping a thimble of water on a campfire. When you need a bucket. They need to go back to the mars bombers.
Those little Fire Boss planes do a great job in certain situations, especially initial attack. The aircraft itself and their tactics (pack attacks in groups of 3-4) were developed by forest fire professionals. They can deliver a constant series of attacks on multiple locations when a fire is spotting ahead of the main front and help prevent a serious breakout. Their agility and flexibility allows them to attack in locations where larger aircraft cannot. They can fly from short gravel bush runways or land and skim on lakes. They can tank up with retardant or water. Far more versatile and much cheaper to operate per litre dropped than the venerable Mars. That old girl has had its day, let her rest. And don't be fooled by the media notion that if the Mars isn't flying then the province isn't doing everything it can to attack the fire. Chuck Coulson feeds them that line every year and the chumps go for it. It's exactly the same as demanding that the province willingly waste our money.

Odd how little smoke effect we have here in Penticton this past week. We've had mostly northerly winds which should be pushing the smoke right onto us, but it's much better than last year when the fires were further away yet you couldn't see from one side of the valley to the other. Sure it smells a bit smoky outside, but not bad. I cringe when the national media talk about the 'massive' fires in the Okanagan, these are tiny compared to last year's beast in the central interior.

New Canada=no respect, common sense or understanding, I am sure the boaters were pissed that those pesky airplanes were interrupting their day on the water. NDP should form a committee to study this, then ask for public input, then do what the hell they want after anyway.

HM
Jesus_in_a_speedboat.jpg

Post of the year!

Maybe a "strafing " run before a water run would end these idiots stupidness permanently?? Issue made 6 news again tonight.

HM

I think you meant F-18's - unless you are still wrapped up in the Top Gun nostalgia? :D
;)
gallery_planesfirerescue_05.jpg

For anyone still hoping for Martin Mars to make another appearance this fire season, this article pretty much closes the door on the fabled aircraft.

Martin Mars unlikely to see firefighting action in Port Alberni.

Water bomber ‘isn’t anywhere ready’ for fires burning in its Vancouver Island backyard.

https://www.castlegarnews.com/news/martin-mars-unlikely-to-see-firefighting-action-in-port-alberni/

Coulson's have moved on to next generation of air tankers already in service with Coulson USA. The cool thing is the new planes can have a removable tank, so can be used as dual use aircraft. The planes are retrofitted in Port Alberni. I was an advocate from the Mars as I know what is in them from actually being there. The navionics are state of the art and some improvements have been made to there tank system . But fact remains even though they have spare parts and can make them it needs to retire. It's time is over and BC won't ever use again as I believe Wayne pushed too hard. The forestry service seems to love Conair for some reason. The main issue is not the structure it is the engines. Now if we could but new engines on it that would be cool. But it is not going to happen. I would love to see a new version of the Mars built but again dont think it will happen.

Last edited:
Coulson's have moved on to next generation of air tankers already in service with Coulson USA. The cool thing is the new planes can have a removable tank, so can be used as dual use aircraft. The planes are retrofitted in Port Alberni. I was an advocate from the Mars as I know what is in them from actually being there. The navionics are state of the art and some improvements have been made to there tank system . But fact remains even though they have spare parts and can make them it needs to retire. It's time is over and BC won't ever use again as I believe Wayne pushed too hard. The forestry service seems to love Conair for some reason. The main issue is not the structure it is the engines. Now if we could but new engines on it that would be cool. But it is not going to happen. I would love to see a new version of the Mars built but again dont think it will happen.

Yes, at 2016 Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Coulson admitted that the Mars had reached the end of it's career. To add injury to the end life of the Mars. A couple of days later while doing a demo, they had an engine problem and when the aircraft had to set down on the lake, the underbelly of the fuselage struck a rock and tore a hole. Luckily they were able to pump it out and patched the hole. The Mars did return to show a few days later, but I think it was only flyby demos only.

I have to agree on Coulson pushing too hard over the years. He was outspoken to a fault and I am sure he did not make any new friends with the government of the day.

As for the engine refit. If I recall - and I may be subject to correction, the reason why this was never done was due to cost as compared to the value of the aircraft.

In regards to the state of art avionics, for those who may not have seen the cockpit.

Last I heard, Coulson was shopping the aircraft around for sale or trying to have it placed in a museum in the states?

The museum thing fell through for Philippine with Pensecola I am not sure if it still there. The Hawaii had the accident. Britt does a good job in video, and that is what it looks like. He lives and breaths this stuff. I don't blame Wayne for trying but it is good they had the backup plan with the air tankers and the helicopters.

The museum thing fell through for Philippine with Pensecola I am not sure if it still there. The Hawaii had the accident. Britt does a good job in video, and that is what it looks like. He lives and breaths this stuff. I don't blame Wayne for trying but it is good they had the backup plan with the air tankers and the helicopters.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that there are 2 Mars bombers as you pointed out.

I think that although the Mars are now retired, they will always have an iconic presence in the annals of BC wildfire fighting history. Also Wayne Coulson should be commended for keeping those old aircraft flying well past their prime.

Question for @SpringVelocity. Did you work for the Coulson Group?

Thanks, I should have mentioned that there are 2 Mars bombers as you pointed out.

I think that although the Mars are now retired, they will always have an iconic presence in the annals of BC wildfire fighting history. Also Wayne Coulson should be commended for keeping those old aircraft flying well past their prime.

Question for @SpringVelocity. Did you work for the Coulson Group?

Yes. Used to help as independent contractor at Port at Aircrane division for a few years. Also got to visit San Bernardino where the first Hercules was retrofitted with the new tank system. It didn't work out for me with the back and forth living in south island.

Back