Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem all worked up need a snack?

View attachment 39417
Oh dear.... You seem to be down on your luck having to buy smoked Atlantic Salmon. I know we have our difference but I'm willing to share my harvest if that will help. PM me if you want to take me up on my offer or you could post a "help a brother out" on this forum since we are from two different areas and shipping may be a concern.

Marine Harvest pursuing radical new salmon farm designs

RANDY SHORE
Updated: August 7, 2018

Marine Harvest is proposing to build radical new salmon farms that could answer nagging concerns about sea lice infestations, virus transfer and escapes from conventional Atlantic salmon farms.

The farms will be built in Norway, and technology that proves useful can then be deployed in B.C. and around the world.

Ocean-based closed containment and semi-closed farms would avoid the massive energy requirements of land-based systems, with a goal of eliminating contact between farmed and wild salmon.

The company has applied to the Norwegian government for development licenses that would allow them to build the new farms to full scale without the expense of a commercial farm license, said Ola Helge Hjetland, a spokesman for Marine Harvest Group.

The company will be rewarded with full licenses for investing in new technology to fulfill the requirements of the program.
The Marine Donut is a closed, escape-proof farm that protects farmed fish from sea lice and pathogens. The futuristic-looking Egg is a semi-closed tank that extends 40 metres below the surface of the water.

The company has already built and stocked a third semi-closed tank with 200,000 fish, which has shown promising growth rates after some design changes. The floating farm at Molnes pulls water in from the ocean from a depth of 26 metres, which is below the area where sea lice thrive.

“Most of the (research and development) we do is in Norway, where there is strong government support for it,” said Marine Harvest Canada spokesman Jeremy Dunn. “But any technology that proves itself sustainable and efficient, we would certainly look at (in B.C.).”
Norway — with roughly the same amount of coastline as B.C. — plans to triple the output of its ocean-based aquaculture industry by 2050 to about five million tonnes annually, he said.

“Our coastline offers us a huge advantage, and technology can help us utilize that marine environment,” he said. “When these technologies are proven to work, they are quickly deployed and adopted all over the world.”

In B.C., farmed Atlantic salmon is the province’s biggest agricultural export at half a billion dollars a year. That is more than the next three biggest crops combined.

Environmental groups are pressuring the industry and government to move to land-based, closed-containment farms.

But land-based systems use 500 to 1,000 times more energy to move water, warm, cool and regulate oxygen and carbon dioxide levels, said Tony Farrell, chair in sustainable aquaculture at the UBC Centre for Aquaculture and Environmental Research.
“That energy cost has to be added to the price of the fish, so it’s less affordable,” he said.

B.C.’s experimental land-based salmon farm, Kuterra, typically sells Atlantic salmon for a 30-per-cent premium over ocean-raised fish and breaks even. Its operators are seeking investment partners for an expansion they believe could make the operation profitable.

The UN believes aquaculture will be at the core of feeding the world’s growing population.

Aquaculture has overtaken wild fisheries as the world’s main source of seafood, providing “53 per cent of all the fish consumed by humans as food,” according to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Association.

“The questions we face now are what form aquaculture will take, how much will it grow, and where will it grow?” said Farrell.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/marine-harvest-pursuing-radical-new-salmon-farm-designs

http://www.publish.csiro.au/pc/PC17014
The reverse precautionary principle: science, the environment and the salmon aquaculture industry in Macquarie Harbour, Tasmania, Australia
Jamie B. Kirkpatrick A B , Lorne K. Kriwoken A and Jennifer Styger A
+ Author Affiliations
- Author Affiliations
A Geography and Spatial Sciences, School of Land and Food, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 78, Hobart, Tas. 7001, Australia.

B Corresponding author. Email: j.kirkpatrick@utas.ed.au

Pacific Conservation Biology - https://doi.org/10.1071/PC17014
Submitted: 2 May 2017 Accepted: 9 August 2017 Published online: 12 September 2017

p.G:"The fact that there was no test of hypotheses about causes of change, but rather suggestions that scientific uncertainty was such that the status quo of expansion should be maintained while further research was undertaken, is a reversal of the
precautionary principle
adopted by Australian governments in the ecologically sustainable development process, in which
protection was the product of uncertainty, not the maintenance or increase of exploitation. The logic behind the precautionary principle was to avoid irreversible or long-term impacts. Adoption of the reverse precautionary principle may cause such impacts (Ross 1989).
"

p.G"It is easy to see how the reversal developed in this particular case. Government and some sections of industry wish to
dramatically increase production from fish farms as matters of policy and profit. Most marine scientists survive in their insecure profession from funding of their research programs by industry and government. Industry and scientific interests work together to develop technologies (Lien 2007). Uncertainty and reductionism in relation to environmental impacts are rewarding in this context. Pointing out the obvious can leave one unemployed, while one can do excellent scientific work on a limited problem set by others. Marine research is expensive, making the incidence of research not funded by industry or government extremely low. Consultant scientists need to be careful not to alienate potential employers.
"

Sound familiar???

Further to the above..
Salmon escaped from Cooke Aquaculture farm, company confirms
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/salmon-escape-cooke-1.4776073
Locals claim the number FAR exceeds what Cook reports. That should not surprise anyone!!
Also of interest covered in the radio interview, is the practice of selling ISA infected salmon and the lack of regulations for Fish Farms in Canada!!

Ya, Fabian Dawson is SO much more reliable and trustworthy to those whom wish upon a star...

Dave you beat me to it while logging in.

AA ....... It says they are spreading disease. The first paragraph says virus.WHAT IS IT? DISEASES OR VIRUS?

AA ....... It says they are spreading disease. The first paragraph says virus.WHAT IS IT? DISEASES OR VIRUS?[/QUOTE]
I stopped reading after the first three errors. Her pre infection theory is tabloid stuff.

Tabloid stuff you say.
Then would you expect Washington State to allow Open Net Pen Atlantic Salmon Fish Farms back into Puget Sound anytime soon?
Yes or No
and if No
WHY???

No, I don’t expect Washington State to farm Atlantic’s when they have said they won't. I do expect them to farm chinooks either for sale or Orca food though. They, like BC, know fish farms are not leaving the Pacific coast but for sure there will be changes.

No, I don’t expect Washington State to farm Atlantic’s when they have said they won't. I do expect them to farm chinooks either for sale or Orca food though. They, like BC, know fish farms are not leaving the Pacific coast but for sure there will be changes.
Fair and intelligent comment...thanks

Geez fogged in, have you forgotten that Washington state canceled only Atlantic salmon from their waters? DFO's stance is pretty strong regarding fish farms and after 20 years of study.... They have moved on. Fish farms will be on this coast weather you agree or not. Spin it every which you can, and you have. They are not going away. Time to maybe help wild salmon by putting your effort and time towards and small stream or creek. Or better yet the SEP program is under attack and looking at being cancel again. This means no more hatcheries, community advisors,etc.

Tabloid stuff you say.
Then would you expect Washington State to allow Open Net Pen Atlantic Salmon Fish Farms back into Puget Sound anytime soon?
Yes or No
and if No
WHY???

The wild fish conservatory also wants to shut chinook fishing down coast wide. I suppose you also agree with that since they are so knowledgeable about fish farms they also must be about the impacts of chinook fishing on whales.

I guess since it's not tabloid stuff then they should probably shut down chinook fishing since these groups are knowledgeable scientists right???

"Beardslee represents both the Wild Fish Conservancy and Our Sound, Our Salmon, a citizen group effort to rid Puget Sound of Atlantic salmon fish farming.

Beardslee explained that Atlantic salmon evolved with PRV and have built up an immunity to the virus, an advantage that the Pacific salmon do not possess. Though the domesticated salmon are asymptomatic, the virus ruptures the Pacific salmon’s red blood cells, which makes fish unable to use their muscles effectively."

http://wildfishconservancy.org/us-c...e-to-preserve-southern-resident-killer-whales

WFC Supports BC Groups in their Call for an Emergency Science-Based Response to Preserve Southern Resident Killer Whales
On both sides of the border, fishery and whale watching closures are necessary short-term actions to help recover an SRKW population in dire straits.

Oh and what else they don't like hatchery as a solution

In contrast to current questionable proposals to increase the production of hatchery Chinook to help SRKW, which are unlikely to help the whales and will impose additional harm on depressed wild Chinook stocks, the actions we and our B.C. colleagues propose positively support the stabilization of the SRKW and will also facilitate the rebuilding of the critical Chinook stocks on which they depend.

Strangely enough Bones - this may be one area where we agree.

The information presented by most NGOs (there is a spectrum of them and their biases) - needs to be critically examined - and challenged where their biases preclude an honest debate over the issues they decide to participate in. I see IFAW, Greepeace, Sea Shepherd and the DSF (to name a few) on the far side of the spectrum of biases and selective information - while the Pacifc Salmon Foundation, the Atlantic Salmon Federation and the T. Buck Suzuki Foundation (also to name a few) on the other end of that spectrum.

ALL OF THE NGOs are largely concerned with the impacts of open net-pen aquaculture - not just the DSF-type NGOs. Many of the scientists not associated with the industry or the supporting network in DFO are similarly concerned. There is enough science - which we have already posted on this thread and other threads to confirm these concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back