Pink Salmon warning after species found in Irish rivers

I an unaware of any science/data on correlating tail size to migration distance. However, I would expect that tail size would be correlated to body size/length. Swimming speeds are correlated to fork lengths of an individual fish and certain species are on average - larger than others.

So, one would expect to observe a relationship between tail size and swimming speeds within a specific grouping of fish - with a specific type of tail. Average swimming speeds would influence migratory distances covered over a certain period of time.

So, in the same period of time - within that group - certain larger species would likely cover larger distances (or be able to - IF they do), but that's not necessarily because they have larger tails. Tuna and mackerels have a much smaller tail and smaller tail/size ratio - but they cover vast distances in the ocean, too. Smaller tails are actually more efficient for species that swim fast. https://dtmag.com/thelibrary/underwater-propulsion-a-tale-of-tails/
fins.gif

How much time they have to travel would also be particularly relevant wrt pink salmon life histories - they only have 2 years to get 'er done - other Pacific salmon species have a longer time to travel and grow - and could potentially travel farther with increased time.

It's the body length that affects swimming speed and potential for influencing migration distance; while weight/size drives energy reserves when not eating. The "not eating" part is particularly relevant when traveling upstream to spawn. Less so when still feeding in the ocean.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff.

And of course again, Mother Nature always seems to be able to break the rules now and again doesn't it. Just when we think we have it all figured out she throws us a curve ball.

That fish in the image with the grizzly in the above article from Scotland sure looks like a sockeye to me.
Anyway, would not migration distance be a combination of speed times time? Pinks have a two year life cycle so I would imagine they would likely have a shorter average migration than say coho or sockeye which have a four year life cycle.

Looks like it's over 2500km from the Kola Peninsula to Scotland and farther again to Ireland. Also looks like the pink introductions started in the year 1956 and continued to the year 1978 or so; with eggs coming from rivers in the Russian Pacific - Sakhalin and Kamchatka.

Pink strays from Russia watersheds have now colonized the rivers Tana and Neidenelva in Norway and Finland - working their range Westwards. There are even reports of occasional pink strays found in Iceland and Eastern Canada. see: http://www.suomenkalakirjasto.fi/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Pink-salmon_19.08.2016.compressed.pdf

One of the major concerns by these authors state (p.9):

"But, there can be future negative impacts from pink salmon to wild Atlantic salmon i.e. due to parasites, diseases or some unknown reasons which we don’t recognize at the moment. Scenarios of pink salmon when occurring in large quantities in some rivers can transmit virus or bacteria which can cause diseases in Atlantic salmon. Pink salmon can be infected by diseases when migrating through coastal areas in Northern Norway and in Northwest coast in Kola Peninsula where intensive cage rearing of Atlantic salmon exists. After ascending rivers pink salmon can carry these unwanted viruses and bacteria and outbreak of disease can take place in wild salmon populations."

Interestingly, it looks like the Sakhalin River transplants never took - but the Kamchatka & Ola River did. The reason? Timing of spawn and ACUs.

In other words: "the introduced ‘‘southern’’ pink salmon began to spawn too late and eggs were lost as water temperatures in Autumn were colder than in their native habitat especially in even-year generations.... The introduction of odd-year pink salmon to the White Sea basin was undertaken in 1985, when a new broodstock population was selected from the northern part [Kamchatka] of the species range..." See: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixlvrGmZnVAhVT62MKHYktDpgQFggiMAA&url=http://fms.scot/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/170712-ICES-extract-on-pink-salmon-2013.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEIiem1iSRHeIRv27_o_ZywQVpw1A

Those (now) Irish and Scottish pinks should have DNA similar to the Kamchatka/Ola River pinks - if they test them and they were from the Kola Peninsula and those initial transplants.

Last edited:
What I find most interesting is that they are ligitamately concerned that there may an impact. I don't wanna turn it into a fish farm argument but here in Canada we're a little blasé about invasive species. Not just fish either, insects and plants too.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Arctic, Fish
As the climate changes, the Arctic Ocean beckons Pacific salmon and other species. How will we fish responsibly?
by Edward Struzik
August 16, 2016
https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/welcome-arctic-fish/

Yeah there has been a lot on this, Lots more pink and chum showing up. Its interesting because on the Tundra their is almost zero vegetation around these streams the salmon are colonizing. Just a constant supply of cool fresh water in the summer. I am not sure what the limnology or the PH of these streams are but it would be good to study them.

I think their is a great opportunity to learn here. I also think that water extraction and warm water temperatures and eritic flows/dry streams in lower BC is not studied enough or simply not a popular subject. People hate water restrictions as it is.

Thanks for the post AA

They do Pinks in the Great Lakes as well as Steelhead, Coho, and Springs. Just a little trip down the St Lawrence and bang you're in Ireland.

methinks the Atlantic and Pacific salmon will eventually link fins in the Eastern Arctic some year soon....

Back