If you were the new fisheries minster

They are doing an awesome job. They stopped those blood sport fisherman from fishing a large area so those starving nearly extinct whales will now be OK. That's what dumbed down Canadian public thinks. Facebook, twitter, a famous scientist and Global can't all be wrong. Its only optics.

HM

It’s true, they played this one perfectly. Just give the rec anglers the shaft. If they cut out whale watching or the commercial sector, there would be too much opposition.

What is the biggest obstacle stopping DFO from doing a better job?
Politics or money

Politics all the way, public perception drives politics and that's what this is about. What does money have to do with it. How many scientist listening for whale farts does it take to make this right. It's an excuse for incompetence it's been used by the government sector for years now it's their back up plan for an endless budget.

I would gladly pay more but keep pressure on those who have the authority to manage the budgets. Unions and government employees, civil servants etc. don’t have any authority to manage or control publicly funded budgets. That’s the job of management and the unions have to bargain for their piece of the pie. Sometimes they get an increase that matches the cost of living pressure and sometimes they don’t depending on the Government controlled bargaining agents. I am not in a union just know the process. Performance based incentives for private companies producing widgets (i.e. trades) can probably be objectively measured assuming you have clearly defined criteria and performance outcomes. Measuring performance in professions like nursing and teaching is not so simple because you are dealing with the health and education of human beings, not widgets.

Granted the unions can't just grab more money at will, but when there's more money in the kitty, when there's more money aloud for more hirings the hiring of sisters, nieces and brothers goes on and on with out money being delegated directly to projects. No a lot of these groups aren't making widgets but results are results and budgets not met are just that. When a CEO of a large corporation fails to meet stock holder expectations he is replaced, when he runs a business into the ground with mindless spending he is fired. What is happening with these groups, they spend and spend and we see failed commitments all the time. There is zero accountability going on here. Who does the director of DFO answer to, when they decide on these issues who is in the room with them, who is influencing their decisions, is there a group that votes or does one director decide, what kind of person are they, are they a fisherman, are they an environmentalist hell bent on saving the planet from all of us, who appoints these people, are they being influenced by big money commercial operations, are they appointed or are they just hired. These people get checks from you and I they are funded through the public coffers why can't we expect results for our money spent.

To be fair, when a CEO is replaced or fired in the private sector he usually walks away with a pretty nice settlement. The company may fail but the hierarchy within it still get their millions in performance bonuses and or golden parachute. Just saying large corporations take care of their executives pretty darn well. Arguably, being fired or replaced, with several millions in settlements isn’t a huge hardship. Guys who engineered the most recent financial crisis all walked away pretty happy

Some do some don't no different then from the public sector, when directors are let go they are compensated. Not just the big bad capitalists.

Some do some don't no different then from the public sector, when directors are let go they are compensated. Not just the big bad capitalists.
Yeah, both sides have issues but I think a little research into the compensation packages for Private Sector CEO’s would show they are significantly higher than those of the Public sector. I’m a firm believer in Capitalism, but I personally think that larger companies Executives are overpaid more so than even are pro athletes. I find it hard to believe it’s in anyway justified.
Anyway back to fishing

Yeah, both sides have issues but I think a little research into the compensation packages for Private Sector CEO’s would show they are significantly higher than those of the Public sector. I’m a firm believer in Capitalism, but I personally think that larger companies Executives are overpaid more so than even are pro athletes. I find it hard to believe it’s in anyway justified.
Anyway back to fishing
You only pay taxes on profit, so think on this: the next time you hear about ?? makes a huge donation or buys a floor of a hospital ... it is a right off against their taxes. they made a descision to direct the funds towards a given project in order to not pay the system. Who really pays? WE DO.

exactly , and the tactic used to keep from DFO and ME from doing anything meaningful with Thompson and Skeena Steelhead..
38193552_2105354526205577_2300940475844001792_n.jpg

To be fair, when a CEO is replaced or fired in the private sector he usually walks away with a pretty nice settlement. The company may fail but the hierarchy within it still get their millions in performance bonuses and or golden parachute. Just saying large corporations take care of their executives pretty darn well. Arguably, being fired or replaced, with several millions in settlements isn’t a huge hardship. Guys who engineered the most recent financial crisis all walked away pretty happy
https://thenarwhal.ca/kinder-morgan-s-canadian-executives-earn-millions-governments-discuss-bailout
http://pressprogress.ca/canada-reve...orporate-tax-dodgers-and-offshore-tax-havens/
34049215_1976298435716076_4021724285537091584_n.png

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah not getting into it with you again. Enjoying the fishing stories and pics to much right now, I'll save you for this January when it's slow on here.

A miracle? No matter how many fish there are every sector ALWAYS wants more. To get more another sector needs to get less. It's not DFO somehow working nefariously to divide the sectors. Its $ that do it.
hmmm, yes and no...
as a commie and a sportie , it tried many times to get a round table to discuss issues ..not allocation.
we wanted to use facilitys at the DFO office and our western regional dfo director squashed us a few times.
I think we NEED a Round Table . with hand picked knowledgeable reps and speakers...put a good agenda together and get it going for late this fall... i think agenda should be , stopping open net pens , and guarantee they go land based , discuss ocean ranching as done very successfully in Alaska. and MONEY. it is a total embarrassment how little the west gets.
We need a huge investment where the fish and outcome win , not the DFO lawyers in Ottawa.
MOANY MONEY MONEY....
AND ...do this with a flotilla of boats under lions Gate Bridge closing the harbour every morning during the talks. with CBC and international news cameras attention. WE continue until TRUDY gets it and gives the WEST our billions that are needed.
united we stand !!!!

I've been trying to get some information of the fisheries website o_O
As the new minister I would work towards making their site more user friendly.....

If I were THE NEW fisheries minister ...........

I'd be careful to NOT HANG MY HEAD IN SHAME LIKE MOST OF THE PREVIOUS MUST BE DOING.

Back