New outboard - extra 2 year warranty worth it

Seasalt

Hi,
I was hoping to get some opinions regarding a new Yamaha F250 and warranty. My older two stroke was getting finicky so I decided to pull the plug and go for the Yamaha as it was a (relatively) decent price and has a solid reputation. They come with a 3 year standard warranty, but I can get $750 off now on a rebate or two years extra warranty. I know lots of guys running well maintained yammers for years without problems. Should I save $750 or go for extra 2 years?
Thanks!

I would get the warranty for piece of mind. $750 isn’t much when I comes to boating. but one small fuel system issue would cost you that easy. Labour is exspensive.

3 years from now you won’t miss the $750. However if you have a warranty problem you probably will miss the cost of the work done without warranty. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating buying a new engine just for warranty, but if you’re buying an engine anyways, might as well get the extra warranty as it’s really not costing you anything extra on the price of the engine.

Oly

Evinrude offers seven and up to ten depending on what you want with your motor. perhaps if you mention this as part of the negotiation they will "throw it in with the sale" push em a bit

If your a guide and planning 1000 hrs each year maybe, a sporty casually fishing then I would read in detail and understand the fine print on the warranty prior to making a decision. Normal extended warranties are usually not worth it except for the company offering them. Don't believe me please research. Other question is if they are such good motors why do they need an extended warranty??? Why not just offer 5 years? Unless it fits the not worth it category (except for the company). Buyer beware. Invest the $750 in a private market fund and make money. Plan that a new $15000+ motor had better not need warranty repair in 3 years. My 2c.

HM

I understand that they plan on the average sporty putting 200 hrs year on their engines. Three years 600 hrs five years 1000 hrs. Im shopping for a motor myself people are telling me they have 4000 hrs on their motors. for a 4000 hr engine you would think they would offer up a measly five year warranty. esp if the average guy could expect 20 years out of their engine. just saying....

Warranty = Peace of mind
Used - 0 years - $ ???
New - 3 years - $20,000
New - 5 years - $750
Whatever way you go, congrats on your new motor and good luck with it!

Im shopping for a motor myself people are telling me they have 4000 hrs on their motors. for a 4000 hr engine you would think they would offer up a measly five year warranty.

at 4000 hours, most outboards are near done.
how could they warranty a motor with that much wear ?

at 4000 hours, most outboards are near done.
how could they warranty a motor with that much wear ?
4000 hrs would be 20 years for the average owner at 200 hours per year. I'm say a warranty for five years or 1/4 of expected engine life would be nice peace of mind

Are you stuck on Yamaha? I just bought a new boat with suzuki's and it was cheaper then Yamaha and came with a 6 year warranty.

Are you stuck on Yamaha? I just bought a new boat with suzuki's and it was cheaper then Yamaha and came with a 6 year warranty.
No I'm stuck on what I feel will be the best bang for my buck and what I can get past the finance department. We will be doing battle next week once I have all the information to present.

No I'm stuck on what I feel will be the best bang for my buck and what I can get past the finance department. We will be doing battle next week once I have all the information to present.
Mercury

I agree. Price vs features, Merc's are usually cheaper. Much like truck brands, boat motor brand fanboyism is a real thing, The way I look at it, drive by any truck dealership and they will all have their own share of trucks awaiting repair. Same applies to boat motors and many other products.

Last edited:
I have the same 250 hp motor along with a 9.9 purchased in 2015. The 250 has been problem free but the 9.9 trim tilt had to be replaced last year ($800), the idle was too high and had to be adjusted and this year, the 9.9 would not go into reverse. Chose the 5 year warranty and all is good. Not even a question in my mind.
Also bought a $4000 Lowrance in 2015, started to act funny in 2016 as in would not give me depth, took it in and got a new one. Got offered an extra 2 year warranty on that above the original 3, decided to buy that too.

Thanks for all your comments! It was all a quick decision, finding a in-stock motor that I could get rigged quickly to salvage my season. I considered them all. Etec G2 came inabout $5g more, Suzuki sound great but are quite a bit heavier ( I have an older hull that was designed for two strokes), and nobody knew when the new Four stroke Mercs were available( they sound amazing). I guess in the overall scheme of things, the extra two years is kind of an insurance policy. Now I have to get the boat in the water and break the motor in!

Back