Status
Not open for further replies.
How would a newby troll in a pattern not to **** off those in the acceptable rotation
The mouth would be the target imo, most traffic also

How would a newby troll in a pattern not to **** off those in the acceptable rotation
The mouth would be the target imo, most traffic also
First of all, Kudos for asking the right question.

My advice would be to drop your gear well outside the pack. Then once set, take a few minutes and watch what everyone else is doing. Work your way towards the same lines and match your speed with everyone else as close as possible. If everyone is circling the same way, go the same way. Dont be the idiot who charges into the packg going the wrong way, there is a reason why boats are circling that way. In my opinion a boat with a fish on has the right of way so best to give them room especially if they are fighting a large fish, odds are they will need to make a turn at one point or another. Currents are usually strong at the mouth, gear may not be directly behind a boat.

Hope that helps a bit.

I could not disagree more. Did you check out the fish in that pic?

Those are all hatchery Coho. CLONES caught with rod and reel by real paying live anglers.
I know who, when and where those fish were caught that day. It's not from 4 years ago. The "bite" for them has since subsided somewhat.

So....greedy eh? Absolutely nothing greedy about a good bite for paying guests on HATCHERY coho? Yes, nothing greedy.
Is it greedy when shopping carts and massive treble hooks wrapped with pencil lead jag them out of the estuary and river? No. Not according to the law or regulations.
These fish were taken by sport methods by some people who never caught a salmon before. Is that greedy? No.
Is it greedy when tens of thousands of rods floss the Fraser for Sox off the bars? Did you see what it was like on the Fraser this past Tuesday? No. Not greedy.
Is it greedy when you go out and catch limits for all on board and you had a great day? No. Not greedy.
Or is only greedy when guides didn't tell you where they were catching them and call you over on 88A? Yes, according to many on this forum, yes.
If I post pics from 2010 from the Sockeye run of the century with me standing on the dock having guided 12 guests into limits of 4 sockeye each....a row of 48 sockeye...is that good or should I post no pics of great fishing? Is that greedy? No...not at all.
Is greedy taking advantage of snagging at the meat hole or Keith Wilson Bridge? Is it greedy showing up and catching and releasing all day in the slot off Peg Leg? No...not according to most.
Is it greedy when someone outfishes you? No. Nothing wrong with that.
Is it greedy when someone takes all the risk running a business? No.
Is it greedy fishing (stealing) a fishing which could be an Orcas lunch....a starving ill one too? Yes and No depending on who you talk to.
Is it greedy when people catch a ton of fish and sell them roadside then dump them in the ditch? Yes. Yes it is.

Nothing greedy about that pic and the guides who guided those fish or the business.

Being in business is not greed and showing success of your services is not greed---it's a fishing report. In 5-7 days everyone who knows anything about sockeye fishing will be able to tub their boat out at will off the Fraser....blindfolded. I'll be out there doing just that....tubbing out the boat on Sox for a couple of weeks straight . That doesn't make me greedy so I can eat fish all winter and through 2019. Does that make us all greedy? Yes, yes it does by the original posters opinion.

MY GOD MAN!!!

Missing the point -completely-

Maybe read the posts again, or go lurk at the docks.

We are in a PR battle right now. You better understand that, real quick.

Last edited:
Hit the South arm today. 630 am
Traveled through Several Gillnetters getting in their last few sets on their short opening.
Banged into three in first 5 min ....... Must of landed on top of EM lol........boxed a couple.
Then came the long lull of squat except for one strike......for almost five long hours. Then pow guys were into fish all around us. We boxed another 7 ....... we returned in various fashions several others ...... Haha A great day on the water with family.

I do mainly follow a red pink theme on attractor dummy flashers and flashers with Hootchies. Glo heads performed better today and my one and only Googly eye continues to work. Leaders 22 - 28 inches at various speeds.
All action 55 to 75 feet. Prefered 100 to 250 ft deep area west of Green Bell.

Good luck and have fun . Not many jumpers. Best is yet to come.

That comment is rich. LOL. Nice troll.

Missing what frickin’ point the original poster and you are trying to make? DFO knows exactly what is going on out there. These Coho are not whale food.

Been on Instagram lately and checked out the slayfest going on on WCVI and all the brothers and sisters locally ? Gone on to Facebook to see the slayfest going going on in the Rivers? The Fraser was open to a commercial fishery yesterday....limits are 4 per person per day and the Fraser is open with thousands of rods on the flows....and you’re beaking off about a picture.

Don’t give me your holier than thou attitude and think you have accomplished something. Go onto the WCVI, Campbell River, South Island, Victoria, Sooke Renfrew threads and them what you just told me and they’ll tell you Right where to go and how to get there.

You think this a PR a battle? PR?!? Give me a break. You really think Sportfishing Guides posting pictures slits our throat and makes a difference? Pray that a couple of more SRKW don’t die....then you’ll see exactly who is missing the point.

Guide in the QCI when there is non retention of Chinook like there was in the early 1990’s...and believe me....I get the frickin’ point alright...I was there.

To go after the operator and guides over that picture and say it was uncalled for, and groundless and to say that The firm Or myself missed the point is chickenshit forum pablum. In my opinion, which you clearly disagree with and more than entitled to, your viewpoint and original poster amounts to an indirect character assassination of the said firm and guides involved.

If you have an issue with the picture as the other Poster did, feel free to call the owners and complain. Educate them if you believe they need education.

However, I can assure you they don’t and they don’t need me to defend them...and that’s Not what I’m doing. I’m merely saying it’s wrong to levy such criticism and opinion against a firm based on a picture.

Do you know those guys? Have you guided with those guys and worked with them? I have. They’re class acts and they have done more for representing sportfishing and protecting the fishery than you have...and they do it each and every day. They donate time and money to enhancement programs, sponsor a net pen fishery which you benefit from, provide DFO with genetic samples through the Avid Angler program, and promote and represent your interests at the table. They do so Voluntarily and without being asked or compensated for it. They represent and voice YOUR interests to numerous people so YOUR form of recreation is not forgotten and not left out of the equation. Do you know what goes on on a fishing charter? It’s not just a guide driving boat and setting rods in release clips. Do you know where fishing license revenue sales go? Do you know what inquiring guests ask and want to know about the challenges facing the resource? You know who answers all those questions and the answers which are given? Professional fishing guides and operators do...that’s who. ThAt’s part and parcel what we do. Pro guides are not a bunch of buck toothed rednecks who care none about their future in this day and age. Trust me.

However, lots of everyone else posting tubs full of fish off Sandheads today...however no one is freaking out about them. Lots of guides everywhere posting similar pics...no one freaking out about that.

Floater, for the love of Fishing, WHY are you making out like sportfishing guides/firms are the enemy in 28/29? Chinook daily and possession limits are halved in 28/29, Hatchery Coho only, and we’ve taken our lumps we are hardly the enemy. Charter firms are taking a beating financially from the publicity. mass cancellations are some lodges. Guides burning tons more fuel to go fish for the same fish which go right by Sooke and Victoria. DFO knows it. scientists know it. SRKW eat Fraser Chinook. Not Cap Hatchery Coho in Area 28.

I don’t put food on my table from guiding or pay my rent and put gas in my tank from guiding anymore but that doesn’t mean I’m not entitled or unqualified or uneducated to speak to current issues at hand. It doesn’t make me holier than thou or anyone else so don’t make it out like I think I am because I don’t.

Get out there and get some for yourself...and hold your breath for what could come next....and odds are none of us will like it.

Tight lines.

Only made it out to Bell today. Also fished west van for a bit. West van was a desert. No bait, no fish on sounder. Bell was better with some fish around, but no bites for me...but I only had one rod in and this was first time fishing there. Didn't see any caught by other 5 or so boats either.

What I do not understand why Bon Chovy should receive so much criticism for something they posted on their website that was copied and posted here. I would presume that if Bon Chovy wanted to post on Sportfishing BC they would have done so themselves.

Bon Chovy are a recreational fishing charter business – of course they want to publicise their success as a fishing charter choice to potential customers.

Last edited:
Seems like it’s a bit early but the Weather app says the next couple days will start blowing so I made my way out. Fished sandheads 11-5. Drop in bite for a just under Chinook. As said, turned on around 2. Went 1 for 3 on socks. Tough losing two during a double header.

Thanks for the note, watching weather for a go / no go run up mid Straits this morning. If env can can be believed there's a window where the winds will change but any way you gut it, a big tide + decent winds makes for dicey fishing, for us anyway.

Last edited:
That comment is rich. LOL. Nice troll.

Missing what frickin’ point the original poster and you are trying to make? DFO knows exactly what is going on out there. These Coho are not whale food.

Been on Instagram lately and checked out the slayfest going on on WCVI and all the brothers and sisters locally ? Gone on to Facebook to see the slayfest going going on in the Rivers? The Fraser was open to a commercial fishery yesterday....limits are 4 per person per day and the Fraser is open with thousands of rods on the flows....and you’re beaking off about a picture.

Don’t give me your holier than thou attitude and think you have accomplished something. Go onto the WCVI, Campbell River, South Island, Victoria, Sooke Renfrew threads and them what you just told me and they’ll tell you Right where to go and how to get there.

You think this a PR a battle? PR?!? Give me a break. You really think Sportfishing Guides posting pictures slits our throat and makes a difference? Pray that a couple of more SRKW don’t die....then you’ll see exactly who is missing the point.

Guide in the QCI when there is non retention of Chinook like there was in the early 1990’s...and believe me....I get the frickin’ point alright...I was there.

To go after the operator and guides over that picture and say it was uncalled for, and groundless and to say that The firm Or myself missed the point is chickenshit forum pablum. In my opinion, which you clearly disagree with and more than entitled to, your viewpoint and original poster amounts to an indirect character assassination of the said firm and guides involved.

If you have an issue with the picture as the other Poster did, feel free to call the owners and complain. Educate them if you believe they need education.

However, I can assure you they don’t and they don’t need me to defend them...and that’s Not what I’m doing. I’m merely saying it’s wrong to levy such criticism and opinion against a firm based on a picture.

Do you know those guys? Have you guided with those guys and worked with them? I have. They’re class acts and they have done more for representing sportfishing and protecting the fishery than you have...and they do it each and every day. They donate time and money to enhancement programs, sponsor a net pen fishery which you benefit from, provide DFO with genetic samples through the Avid Angler program, and promote and represent your interests at the table. They do so Voluntarily and without being asked or compensated for it. They represent and voice YOUR interests to numerous people so YOUR form of recreation is not forgotten and not left out of the equation. Do you know what goes on on a fishing charter? It’s not just a guide driving boat and setting rods in release clips. Do you know where fishing license revenue sales go? Do you know what inquiring guests ask and want to know about the challenges facing the resource? You know who answers all those questions and the answers which are given? Professional fishing guides and operators do...that’s who. ThAt’s part and parcel what we do. Pro guides are not a bunch of buck toothed rednecks who care none about their future in this day and age. Trust me.

However, lots of everyone else posting tubs full of fish off Sandheads today...however no one is freaking out about them. Lots of guides everywhere posting similar pics...no one freaking out about that.

Floater, for the love of Fishing, WHY are you making out like sportfishing guides/firms are the enemy in 28/29? Chinook daily and possession limits are halved in 28/29, Hatchery Coho only, and we’ve taken our lumps we are hardly the enemy. Charter firms are taking a beating financially from the publicity. mass cancellations are some lodges. Guides burning tons more fuel to go fish for the same fish which go right by Sooke and Victoria. DFO knows it. scientists know it. SRKW eat Fraser Chinook. Not Cap Hatchery Coho in Area 28.

I don’t put food on my table from guiding or pay my rent and put gas in my tank from guiding anymore but that doesn’t mean I’m not entitled or unqualified or uneducated to speak to current issues at hand. It doesn’t make me holier than thou or anyone else so don’t make it out like I think I am because I don’t.

Get out there and get some for yourself...and hold your breath for what could come next....and odds are none of us will like it.

Tight lines.

You need less time dock lurking and more time in AC.

Said my peace and stand by it.

Was a rough ride down from north arm to sandheads this morn. Pretty snotty at the mouth here now but we've got a couple sox already and will tough it out for a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back