COHO retention

Prawn Star

Recently I overheard the BC fishing app?? said there was a change in the coho retention. Area 13, one wild, one hatchery. Of course the DFO fishery notice page is not the place you want to find info like this. I swear it's meant to cause people to give up, believe what they hear and get busted by the FOs. Some day it would it would be a good defence in a case where the info was not readily available or accessible.

Recently I overheard the BC fishing app?? said there was a change in the coho retention. Area 13, one wild, one hatchery. Of course the DFO fishery notice page is not the place you want to find info like this. I swear it's meant to cause people to give up, believe what they hear and get busted by the FOs. Some day it would it would be a good defence in a case where the info was not readily available or accessible.
The DFO page lists Area 13-20 to 13-22 is one wild. Way up Bute Inlet. I think this is always open on August 1. Are you saying the app notified you of this change?

I wish we could keep one wild coho in the Strait of Georgia, I've released too many wild coho's that are bleeders.

I wish we could keep one wild coho in the Strait of Georgia, I've released too many wild coho's that are bleeders.

Back in the old days, DFO would send a troller out to do an assessment and then make an in season call on the harvest of wild coho in SOG. Now they just ignore everything. They had Trollers with contracts to do this sort of thing and make scientific assesments. Now the process is impossible, Need to consult with all stakeholders, Need to put out tendors for a fair bidding process, need to include traditional knowledge, would then need to allocate as per the allocation policy, Priority for wild coho harvest in the SOG would go then to FSC first, then out to the rest ect...

After all that done the season or stock is out of the waters.

Easier and cheaper just to keep it closed.

If anything tho they should send out a troller and do an assessment and figure out what stocks these 10 to 1 wild to hatch are from. But thats just fantasy and wishful thinking talking.

Last edited:
Coho management in the Southern BC waters is based on the exploitation rate on one stock that is in trouble. That stock is called the Interior Fraser River (IFR) which is an aggregate of river runs upstream of hells gate. The best place to learn about these issues is on the Ardent Angler website. He is well informed not like some on this thread.
http://www.theardentangler.com/index.php/blog/

Coho management in the Southern BC waters is based on the exploitation rate on one stock that is in trouble. That stock is called the Interior Fraser River (IFR) which is an aggregate of river runs upstream of hells gate. The best place to learn about these issues is on the Ardent Angler website. He is well informed not like some on this thread.
http://www.theardentangler.com/index.php/blog/

Yeah I read his blog a month ago in the Island Fishermen https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/the-state-of-coho-2018/ .

I'm still going to rant about DFO tho and their inability to do in season assessments

yup retain 2 wilds and done.

Back in the old days, DFO would send a troller out to do an assessment and then make an in season call on the harvest of wild coho in SOG. Now they just ignore everything. They had Trollers with contracts to do this sort of thing and make scientific assesments. Now the process is impossible, Need to consult with all stakeholders, Need to put out tendors for a fair bidding process, need to include traditional knowledge, would then need to allocate as per the allocation policy, Priority for wild coho harvest in the SOG would go then to FSC first, then out to the rest ect...

After all that done the season or stock is out of the waters.

Easier and cheaper just to keep it closed.

If anything tho they should send out a troller and do an assessment and figure out what stocks these 10 to 1 wild to hatch are from. But thats just fantasy and wishful thinking talking.

that is what we are being asked now is to collect data (chins for now) to figure out how many of these so called wilds are just hatchery unclipped.
every hatchery fish should be clipped IMHO. who knows when this will be implemented or how long it will take to be in cycle properly.
then we will see marked fisheries only in areas or coast wide...

Interior coho migrate through the Fraser during the tail end of sockeye netting, then get hit with pink netting every second year, then get smoked by the chum gill net fishery. It was usually this week we would get our first coho on the bar rods in the upper Fraser 10 years ago. Not really to hard to figure out why this stock is mediocre.
As for in the chuck make it 2 per day wild or hatch, stop the people from weeding through 30 wilds in a shift to find a lotto ticket hatchery.

that is what we are being asked now is to collect data (chins for now) to figure out how many of these so called wilds are just hatchery unclipped.
every hatchery fish should be clipped IMHO. who knows when this will be implemented or how long it will take to be in cycle properly.
then we will see marked fisheries only in areas or coast wide...

If you ask me, there are no such thing as 'wild' fish on any river that has a hatchery. Wild fish gets captured, bred, the fry are released. In nature lets say two adults come back, from the hatchery five come back. Those five fish breed in the wild and then produce once removed hatchery fish. Are they now considered as 'wild' as their parents? I don't think so. Then the process continues for generations and there's just a mix of hatchery origin genes in the 'wild' fish.

It's not a big deal to me, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that because a SoG coho has an adipose fin that it's a 100% wild fish.

Coho numbers are seeming pretty strong, good management would be to let some wilds be retained, and off set the the Chinook closures in my opinion. Actually manage all the stocks accordingly, not just stick with policy.

Back