Navionics chart viewer shows a Whales Tail marker just NW of Rats Nose. Hoping to get out that way this week if its glassy.
2018-08-06 23.43.46.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick question concerning the whales tail. I have seen it mentioned in several posts in the past but I can't find anything looking like a whales tail on the charts.
Could someone kindly give me the co-ordinates or direction /distance ?
Thanks
Yesterday @ that 190 nipple north of the Rat's nose was on fire with many Humpback whales bubble feeding all around us. My guests tapped out of playing Chinooks and Cohos after 5 hours of mayhem. I heard there weren't many cohos at the Whale's tail, mostly Chinooks

Anyone been catching any Sockeye? Heard from an old timer at the dock that there were a few around Inner South Bank.

Starting to see more action inside? or still more productive offshore? wondering if its gonna be that time when the hardware is replaced for bait.

You guys are on crack Misty from Raincoast says there are no fish for the whales and wants you shut down :)

I have never seen this many whales it was awesome. A show every day we were out there. Most salmon are so stuffed I couldnt believe they are still feeding. Some sort of small shrimp or krill heard someone say crab larvae but not sure if that’s true. The new spoons by big eye are nice really liked them and they work. There is another that looks like the coho killer from another manufacture that was good to little heavier duty took a beating better.

I have never seen this many whales it was awesome. A show every day we were out there. Most salmon are so stuffed I couldnt believe they are still feeding. Some sort of small shrimp or krill heard someone say crab larvae but not sure if that’s true. The new spoons by big eye are nice really liked them and they work. There is another that looks like the coho killer from another manufacture that was good to little heavier duty took a beating better.
ap spoon

Starting to see more action inside? or still more productive offshore? wondering if its gonna be that time when the hardware is replaced for bait.
Slow inside still for us.
Released a 55 cm Chinook yesterday and 58cm wild coho at turtle head yesterday. Coho has a small anchovies in its mouth. All my hits have been on a pesca 4” double double and oki phantom flasher. I’m gonna try bait today at the outer lighthouse

Anyone finding fish? Haven’t seen any boats where we are so not sure where everyone is haha.

Lost a sockeye at the boat trying to net it solo at outer lighthouse.

My depthsounder isn’t doing anything for me so I can’t mark any bait or fish....

Anyone finding fish? Haven’t seen any boats where we are so not sure where everyone is haha.

Lost a sockeye at the boat trying to net it solo at outer lighthouse.

My depthsounder isn’t doing anything for me so I can’t mark any bait or fish....

Can you get out to rats nose or whales tale?

I noticed Nauti-gal 's boat in ukee basin today

made it out to whales tail today in decent weather, light fog drizzle and wind under 10 knots. large amount of boats around. plenty of coho from 50 ft down to 145, found couple nice springs at 95ft all fish on an ap green coho spoon..

Last edited:
Brought my boat home this morning (41 feet was $117 at 5:15am instead of $211 later in the day) after 2 days on a friend's boat at Big Bank and one day on mine mucking around in the fog closer in. Whales were awesome when you could see. Coho insanity plus enough chinooks including a 25lb white 50 feet down in coho land. Saw a sockeye jump on the way in last evening, so put one dummy and a one pink squirt down. Got one in the first 2 minutes, then got set up on both sides and only caught cohos for the next 30 minutes. Was getting late and I had to beat the road closure at 10:00pm. 27 feet. Half way between the yellow buoy at inside lighthouse and shore in about 330 feet.
One last trip with friends next weekend. Hoping for one last hali or awesome inshore fishing if it blows.

Was planning on heading out offshore tomorrow weather permitting. Lady at the tackle shack thought my boat would be a little small to go out. I've got a 21ft thinderjet chinook hht. Thoughts?

Ukee is on fire offshore it’s stupid good. Coho will drive you nuts, great numbers of chinook and Hali fishing great. You could drag a turd and not the hoochie turd and catch salmon right now lol. Inshore is slow offshore the place to be.
Sounds great!! I'll be up later this week anchoring and possibly staying at Island West a few nights. The offshore fishing is what I love, is it all the way to Whale tale or is Southbank hot too.
Thanks for any help.
Take care and see you on the water.

Was planning on heading out offshore tomorrow weather permitting. Lady at the tackle shack thought my boat would be a little small to go out. I've got a 21ft thinderjet chinook hht. Thoughts?
It's flat calm and your boat is big enough. Go for it as the winds are going to pick up after tomorrow

Back