Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pic from Bon Chovy's 3 boats yesterday if you want to give yourself some hope while passing the time. :D :p:p:D;)

View attachment 39465
Love seeing success, but photos like that aren’t helpful. They are used to show the “greed” of our sector.

I don’t agree with that thought one bit, but the opportunists pounce on this. I’ll gladly give up a chance to brag about my success with a slayfest photo if it helps to not paint us in a bad light.

Love seeing success, but photos like that aren’t helpful. They are used to show the “greed” of our sector.

I don’t agree with that thought one bit, but the opportunists pounce on this. I’ll gladly give up a chance to brag about my success with a slayfest photo if it helps to not paint us in a bad light.
What ??

I’ve seen photos showing docks filled with fish used as PR tools to show how “greedy” we are and that we rape the resource.

It’s a sad time we live in, but it’s the reality. I’m just saying that guides posting photos like this don’t help our cause. They should know better. A good photo of a couple happy customers showing off a couple fish is just as effective and prob won’t be used against us.

Personally I love them, gets me excited, just not on public forums.

My thoughts too. Photos of that poor orca carrying her dead starved calf are all over the place and then bon chovy posts this. Very poor PR move.

They are obviously are trying to promote their business but this photo wasn’t a very bright idea, whether it has anything to do with the SRKW diet or it. The political world is manipulative. We don’t want this on the CBC and DFO to shut this all down. The guiding industry better get wise, soon.

Report - friends were out fishing off sand heads today. Hooked 4, landed 3. 400’ feet of water. Pretty slow for 6 hours of fishing. Trying again at first light and will report.

Last edited:
My thoughts too. Photos of that poor orca carrying her dead starved calf are all over the place and then bon chovy posts this. Very poor PR move.

They are obviously are trying to promote their business but this photo wasn’t a very bright idea, whether it has anything to do with the SRKW diet or it. The political world is manipulative. We don’t want this on the CBC and DFO to shut this all down. The guiding industry better get wise, soon.

Nice fishing report :rolleyes:

I disagree. Sockeye are coming in huge numbers this year. Guiding can be a tuff go in off years. Many little shops are gone. The few that survived provide guiding services. Why not promote for the short window we have every 4 years. They going to shut commercial sports and natives down with the amount of fish this year. Dont think so. To much money involved. I think they should take a picture of one only and the smallest sockeye and post that in thier next report in response then put x 16 beside it. How about some reel reports! Wish I could get out there.

Big fat Zero for us st Sandheads this evening. Had to get through about 100 Gillnetters and then dead quiet.
Will wait a couple days to see if we can get our Sockeye season started.

I have learned most everything I know in regards to fishing from Bon Chovy and the local guides. They put out detailed reports, and the photo showing a couple ladies fishing may not be such a bad thing, I think slot of of perception is that fishing is just s bunch of dudes. Also I don’t think it’s that greedy as obviously that was many peoples limits who paid hard earned money to go on what was most likely their one fishing trip. Of course though it’s for promotion but I think those guys work pretty damn hard for the money doing long hours. We all know the cost of boating and fishing, guiding is s pretty though go and more of s passion business.

I disagree. Sockeye are coming in huge numbers this year. Guiding can be a tuff go in off years. Many little shops are gone. The few that survived provide guiding services. Why not promote for the short window we have every 4 years. They going to shut commercial sports and natives down with the amount of fish this year. Dont think so. To much money involved. I think they should take a picture of one only and the smallest sockeye and post that in thier next report in response then put x 16 beside it. How about some reel reports! Wish I could get out there.

I agree any fish caught “Sport fishing” the hard way line and hook should not be critizized.
If we could only be a fly on the wall onboard the commercial boats we would quickly realize the majority of us get the least amout of opportunity. Many of us are putting in alot of time out there.

I agree any fish caught “Sport fishing” the hard way line and hook should not be critizized.
If we could only be a fly on the wall onboard the commercial boats we would quickly realize the majority of us get the least amout of opportunity. Many of us are putting in alot of time out there.
The big picture is the simple fact that more springs are being caught locally here the last three years than I have seen in last 30 years and there is proof in our catch cards and dfo and others are lying about the math

The big picture is the simple fact that more springs are being caught locally here the last three years than I have seen in last 30 years and there is proof in our catch cards and dfo and others are lying about the math

I concur. I've fished Sooke for 40 years. It always made Vancouver look like a joke years ago. Now Vancouver is out fishing Sooke based on my personal experience the last 10 years fishing both places. Lots of teens and fish in the 20 range. Amazing change. BTW, I've been in Europe the last month and that video of the Orca pushing its baby around is getting press here weekly. Some stories mentioned a lack of food for the Orca's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back