VHF poor transmission

Goblin

Hi, installed a new uniden 415 and 5101 antenna into my 18 ft aluminum last summer. I put antenna on port side. It seems to receive well but I sometimes Come In clear on other end and other times not. All with in 5 km straight line of site. Any ideas?

Goblin,

Did you solder the PL 259 coax connector or use the tiny brass and teflon washers?

I think I just used the washers I’ll check today. Should I solder it if it isn’t Or just use washers if it’s soldered?

I think those washers are pretty hokey and don't really make a proper connection......it's a bit tedious and kind of a pain but you gotta be real careful making that connector perfect. I definitely solder and if you have access use a Weller soldering station,once you use one of those you will throw your soldering iron in the garbage. These new solderless ones are supposed to be the **** but I have never used them http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product/style-pl-259-cp-g-connector/

Good luck but I would definitely toss the little washers and solder......make sure you solder the tip also then cut off excess

I think those washers are pretty hokey and don't really make a proper connection......it's a bit tedious and kind of a pain but you gotta be real careful making that connector perfect. I definitely solder and if you have access use a Weller soldering station,once you use one of those you will throw your soldering iron in the garbage. These new solderless ones are supposed to be the **** but I have never used them http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product/style-pl-259-cp-g-connector/

Good luck but I would definitely toss the little washers and solder......make sure you solder the tip also then cut off excess
X2...

I checked and I did solder it, going to take it apart and redo it Incase it is shorting some where.

Those connectors can be really problematic. That’s why some antenna manufacturers are moving to pre-manufactured connections, which avoid these hassles. Morad, Pacific Aerial, Digital are some examples. I’ll never go back to those connectors you’ve got to assemble yourself.

Could also be a bad antenna. Simple to check. Tune to one of the more distant Wx channels that barely comes in. Turn radio off, and disconnect the antenna from the back. Turn radio back on, and insert the antenna lead so just the tip makes contact (not the screw ring). If the station comes in stronger with just the tip inserted, it usually means your antenna has shorted internally (usually because of salt corrosion).

Also, if you redo the connector, make 100% sure that there aren't any strays from the mesh ring touching the tip of the internal connector (same as the short above).

Tenmile gives good advice above. If you receive better without the screw on part of the connector attached, you have a short somewhere. Could be your coax, could be the antenna but I’d bet on the coax connectors.
For sure solder the connector on the end, if not, in short order in a marine environment it will corrode and make a bad connection.
If the coax will unscrew from the antenna, and you have an ohm meter, measure the resistance from the Center pin of the coax to the ground side with the screw connector. It should read zero, if it doesn’t, you have a short in the coax. Cut the connectors off and solder in new ones.

Back