2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hi Saratoga, sorry I didn’t have much time to bs but you nailed it with the word chaos at the ramp. Nice to meet you and I’m glad you caught some nice fish. The Haly is a great bonus fish while trolling.

Thanks,

Mike

No worries at all Mike - it was super busy but wanted to at least say a quick hello after following all your posts over the years. Figured the odds of just happening to see you at the boat ramp again were pretty slim. I still tell the story of catching your friends lost rod with the fish still attached off Coopte 3 years ago - such a fluke and to then find the owner via this forum was pretty cool. Always good memories and unique experiences in Nootka Sound. Wish I could fit in an extra trip up there. Off to participate in the Vancouver derby in less than 2 weeks which should be a good time. Best of luck the rest of the summer up there Mike!

Just finished up 3 days in nootka. Thursday night burwood 26 24 18 lb springs Went offshore on Friday in search of the illusive halibut. All our holes are infested with yellow eye. Got a few lings. Night bite at burwood 1 spring about 10lbs. This morning went to maquinna and it was hammer time for springs and coho. Released almost everything looking for hogs. Tonight was best bite of the trip with multiple double headers off monument. Biggest was 22. Most fish were caught on 5 inch choives but skinny g spoon and white hootch got a few as well.

Completely flat calm on thrusday. Friday and Saturday flat until the afternoon. No fog and amazing weather. Also considering it was a long weekend seemed like there was not alot of people which was awesome. 10-20 boats at all the spots mentioned tops. There was 8 boats at the monument tonight

Last edited:
I’m heading for Nootka Tuesday AM. Have always got my lings at Bajo. With that being closed any general ideas of a good area to go to. Don’t want your secret spot but would be forced to take it if offered
Thanks

Got to tell you members that esperanza is on fire. Offshore is smokin and more fish are stacking inside now. Coho 12+ are now at low rock and moving in. Tons of springs. Bait offshore and bait n spoons inside. Ocean has been table top flat for 8 days. Unbelievable. Whale tale is easy limits of springs and a nice run with flat water. Kinda fun to fish around the commercial boats. I'm staying at the new Rogers lodge in Port Eliza. Say hi if you stop by. New management is awesome.

Got to tell you members that esperanza is on fire. Offshore is smokin and more fish are stacking inside now. Coho 12+ are now at low rock and moving in. Tons of springs. Bait offshore and bait n spoons inside. Ocean has been table top flat for 8 days. Unbelievable. Whale tale is easy limits of springs and a nice run with flat water. Kinda fun to fish around the commercial boats. I'm staying at the new Rogers lodge in Port Eliza. Say hi if you stop by. New management is awesome.

Heading to Moutcha Bay on the 8th. If we were to make the run to Esperanza, do you know is there fuel along the way? Looks to be nearly 80-ish miles round trip.

Fuel is not a problem as you can stop at Esperanza at the church camp or in Tahsis at Westview Marina. Well worth the trip. The bite has been mid morning so you don't have to leave at dark. Perfectly calm water up Tahsis Inlet and out Esperanza to the coast. Hope to see you there.

Fished the Tail the last couple of days. Yes it is pretty good. All depths below 150' seem to be coughing up fish. Look for the trollers lining up and cross their paths. BIG rollers but mostly flat otherwise. Lots of Coho at Low Rock... Good fishing inside too if you can suffer the constant salad bar...
Blue sharks are becoming a problem all over. Lost 4 complete hali rigs on the drop in 2 different spots. Had a Blue bite into a Hali right beside the boat. Have also lost a 1/2 dozen spoons, hootchies, heads to sharks or, big fish this season so far. Blue was the colour most lost. Forgot about the Octo however this site is STILL to week to accept what are now normal 'cell phone' images. SMH...

Last edited:
Just got back stayed at critter cove as usual , and as usual they treated us great.
Fishing inside was slow ,early bite at hoiss is where I took all our fish 6 springs teeners with the biggest being a 17 lb
Saw fish coming in from outside but didn’t appear that large of amount

Regular fishing partner couldn’t make it it this year so took 9 yr old grandson and 12yr old grand daughter , granddaughter got the 17lb on a Peetz , pretty proud of her and got it all on the GoPro.
Couldn’t go too far outside with 2 kids but got out as far as wash rock, didn’t pay close enough attention to the 9 yr old driving almost tore off a downrigger
Think I’ll make some t-shirts that say watch out for the blue
Went back in 2 hrs earlier than usual so kids can fish at the dock , they love that stuff.
All in all another great trip to Nootka , maybe next year the timing will be better for the big uns

My wife ran over a blue patch on our last trip. Got everything back. Way to start them young.

two of us limited on springs and coho yesterday morning - lines down at 7:30 - 4 coho (8-12 lbs) and 3 springs (2 20+) by 9:30 all at pin rocks. Move to rosa - made one pass and picked up a spring that took the line down to the backing - another 20 lber. done by 10:15. Foggy first thing but only 5 or 6 boats at pin rocks. All boats had non stop action. Coho killer and army tank hootchie. 20-25 feet. Also fished anchovy.

Forgot to add I did hook into 3 big boys at Hoiss but they came to the top and swam right at me , couldn’t reel fast enough before they spit the hook , I put it down to operator error
Good times though

Did 5 days in tahsis with 11 guys, caught 100+ kept just short of limits.
Chinook were hard to find and avg size was 15 lbs. Largest was 26
Coho were everywhere, largest was 13

Water was flat calm, avg speed to the 50 fathom line was 28 mph, managed 3 lings

Starting to see more action inside? or still more productive offshore? wondering if its gonna be that time when the hardware is replaced for bait.

Back