If you were the new fisheries minster

And now the real answer
1) figure out how to be re-elected, always the priority
2) find a way appear to be doing something for conservation when you’re really not
3) deflect blame, find a scapegoat/ scapegoats and blame them for the problem
4) ask Dear Leader what wants done, do it even if it’s outright silly
5) ignore science
6) ignore common sense
7) do nothing useful ,but criticize those who do
8) cut needed funding so it can be spent elsewhere on Dear Leaders pet projects
9) concede to enviros, they play on myth and emotion but hey,they get the headlines
10) screw the average recreational fisher, they don’t get headlines
11) ensure any new restrictions don’t affect party donors
12) manage to extinction, cuts the workload

QUOTE="ziggy, post: 888495, member: 5332"]And now the real answer
2) find a way appear to be doing something for conservation when you’re really not
5) ignore science
6) ignore common sense
9) concede to enviros, they play on myth and emotion but hey,they get the headlines
Sad.
There's a lot of truth here.

And now the real answer
5) ignore science
6) ignore common sense
Now that's real and what IS happening, all the others are the same rants and dreams posted here when JT was promised as our savior. Do wish history would NOT repeat itself, then there would be a chance my grandchildren would have a better tidal water fishing opportunity. Sad part was we did not know how good we had it when my kids were young and catching fish.

HM

No nets, No Fish farms, No commercial fishing. If you want to eat fish you must go catch them with a line and hook. Problem solved 5 Per day limit per species. Open up hunting of Seals to tame the population.

I like it Clint,, lots of solid ideas.

If I could add one. No more comercial fishing that's it. I'm sorry for those that do it for a living but it's time to move on there is just no place for that in our oceans anymore. You want to eat fish go catch it. I can't buy moose meat at Sobeys or Elk meat at Safeway why can I buy Salmon or halibut. Could you imagine if we were to stop the nets the abundance of fish we all would have.

This has to win for dumbest post of the year.
Watch what you say or wish for.
OR you may end up like the East coast , with nothing!
And if you don,t think that could happen , your @#$%^&*!!!!

No nets, No Fish farms, No commercial fishing. If you want to eat fish you must go catch them with a line and hook. Problem solved 5 Per day limit per species. Open up hunting of Seals to tame the population.
As a sports fisher I want the commercial guys on my side.
Of all the user groups if anyone get cut it's us.
Much cheaper than buying boats and retraining people.

I think DFO has done a good job at building resentment between the sport and commercial sectors. I think if both sides sat down and cut through the BS we would find out we share a lot of common ground. We both a vested interest in healthy fish populations and if those populations were healthy and their were meanings measures in place to ensure it stayed that way....we would be happy and less concerned about what the other is doing.

I think DFO has done a good job at building resentment between the sport and commercial sectors. I think if both sides sat down and cut through the BS we would find out we share a lot of common ground. We both a vested interest in healthy fish populations and if those populations were healthy and their were meanings measures in place to ensure it stayed that way....we would be happy and less concerned about what the other is doing.
I agree with this.
What would it take for commercial and sport guys to get together?

I agree with this.
What would it take for commercial and sport guys to get together?
A miracle? No matter how many fish there are every sector ALWAYS wants more. To get more another sector needs to get less. It's not DFO somehow working nefariously to divide the sectors. Its $ that do it.

Last edited:
Agree with many of the above posts. Something I've not heard much discussion about previously though.

An annual license fee allows us to harvest 30 chinook, 6 halibut, unlimited coho / sockeye (in the right year)/ pink / chum throughout the summer, prawns, dungies, oysters, clams, mussels... all for the price of a CHEAP 12 pack... Would anyone have issues with a doubling of that price? We know the admin costs are covered in the initial ~22$, and we pay the additional 6$ salmon stamp to directly aid salmon conservation projects - why not up that to 12$, 24$, 30$ etc..? Immediately doubling, tripling, whatever factor we want, to increase the amount of money going towards salmon conservation projects. Personally, would have no issues with prices going up.

Just a simple 'solution' that wouldn't require any legislative changes.

I would have no problem paying more for a license but the problem with that is every time these groups get an increase in the budget the first thing they do with the money is give themselves a raise. Happens all the time with health care budgets, school budgets, recourse budgets. The first thing those unions do is take it upon themselves to disperse the new money among themselves and it's not spent on the recourses it was intended for. Then they cry there's not enough money to do their job. Where's the accountability, who's keeping an eye on these things, who has to answer for goals not being met,, no one because it's nothing but bureaucracy from the top down. How about instead of crying for more money all the time these groups be given certain goals to obtain and when these goals aren't met these people are replaced by competent people. This is not an outrageous thought we all live with this in our daily lives at our jobs why is it to much to ask from the people getting government cheques, this is our money they should have to answer for their performance, to you and I.

I was once told by my old boss the best people to hire are a mother on welfare because she knows how to stretch a dollar and a guy with 3 kids and a huge mortgage because he's going to be there everyday to work because he needs that job.

I would have no problem paying more for a license but the problem with that is every time these groups get an increase in the budget the first thing they do with the money is give themselves a raise. Happens all the time with health care budgets, school budgets, recourse budgets. The first thing those unions do is take it upon themselves to disperse the new money among themselves and it's not spent on the recourses it was intended for. Then they cry there's not enough money to do their job. Where's the accountability, who's keeping an eye on these things, who has to answer for goals not being met,, no one because it's nothing but bureaucracy from the top down. How about instead of crying for more money all the time these groups be given certain goals to obtain and when these goals aren't met these people are replaced by competent people. This is not an outrageous thought we all live with this in our daily lives at our jobs why is it to much to ask from the people getting government cheques, this is our money they should have to answer for their performance, to you and I.

I fully agree.

Your living in a dream world if you believe any government official would manage their position financially as they would their own personal finances. I am at a loss why? Run your house like the government and your starving and on the street very fast. Part time school teachers putting our grand children billions in dept.?

I certainly would agree to a significant license increase IF 100% of all funds were MANDATED, CONFIRMED and VERIFIED by an honest broker to go directly into the resource. Why cant we learn from the US? This will never happen with Canadian politicians, the me, me, me, movement has gripped them for many years.

HM

The cannon ball my asshole friend dropped overboard cost me more than my license :mad:
I'd be happy to pay double if the money was going in the right direction.

You missed the point, I was responding to latest posts on license/stamp increase's. I was specifically speaking of the Pittman/Robertson act, nothing to do with Mr Trumps antics. ALL Government officials change when in power, millionaire PM have drove Canada down financially, while they get wealthier. Research the real specifics on how that single act has made the North American Wildlife Model the Worldwide one to equal. Why can't Canada have something similar? Hell current PM will be remembered as (optically only, not real) the legalize dope, pay terrorist, Feminist PM, why not the one who saved, promoted and increased Canadas Fish and Wildlife. You choose the legacy you would strive for, if you were the new Minister.

HM

now all we need to do is to get those terrorists to go after the seals...

I would gladly pay more but keep pressure on those who have the authority to manage the budgets. Unions and government employees, civil servants etc. don’t have any authority to manage or control publicly funded budgets. That’s the job of management and the unions have to bargain for their piece of the pie. Sometimes they get an increase that matches the cost of living pressure and sometimes they don’t depending on the Government controlled bargaining agents. I am not in a union just know the process. Performance based incentives for private companies producing widgets (i.e. trades) can probably be objectively measured assuming you have clearly defined criteria and performance outcomes. Measuring performance in professions like nursing and teaching is not so simple because you are dealing with the health and education of human beings, not widgets.

Back