2018 Campbell River Reports

After I lost approx. 6 fish today I am sure the captain (Fish Assassin) was ready to send me swimming. I also slept in and missed the jig bite. After missing a few fish we finally got one to the boat weighing about 1 pound.

Owen offered me a high five. The next fish was about 10-12lbs and when I was done desending the quillback rock fish he said here you can land this one. Dam was it easy gaffing it, only to find out he had already cracked it with the gaff and had left it hanging on the line for me to land.
Upon hearing the wind had already picked up south of us, we had decide to finish things off quickly and head back in. Well that was the case. We had one on sulking and not feeling right. It finally came to the surface from the abyss to show itself twice.
Pride plug, 8-12mph home in waves that were going over the top of the boat

That’s a true trophy in today’s day and age....congrats!

After I lost approx. 6 fish today I am sure the captain (Fish Assassin) was ready to send me swimming. I also slept in and missed the jig bite. After missing a few fish we finally got one to the boat weighing about 1 pound.

Owen offered me a high five. The next fish was about 10-12lbs and when I was done desending the quillback rock fish he said here you can land this one. Dam was it easy gaffing it, only to find out he had already cracked it with the gaff and had left it hanging on the line for me to land.
Upon hearing the wind had already picked up south of us, we had decide to finish things off quickly and head back in. Well that was the case. We had one on sulking and not feeling right. It finally came to the surface from the abyss to show itself twice.
Pride plug, 8-12mph home in waves that were going over the top of the boat

What a beast! Nice fish too. :D

Pfffft!!

I've netted bigger fish hooked in 18 feet of water from a rowboat. :p

Actually.....................................................good going and well done indeed. :D

I'm hoping to get Owen into a fish like that some day but he has to stop horsing them to the boat still green.

I'm old and slow nowadays and can't chase them with the net so good anymore.

Take care.

Pfffft!!

I've netted bigger fish hooked in 18 feet of water from a rowboat. :p

Actually.....................................................good going and well done indeed. :D

I'm hoping to get Owen into a fish like that some day but he has to stop horsing them to the boat still green.

I'm old and slow nowadays and can't chase them with the net so good anymore.

Take care.

I wonder if that was heading your way. Can’t help but feel a little skittish about that and one less meal for the Orcas.

Any word on Sockeye or Chinook action north of the narrows?

Heard there was a big one from up around Stuart Island area, 52 pounds?

Spent the day today up at Green Sea for two pinks. Was surprised at how few boats there were all day. I figured with Sox being open, it would be plugged with boats. Saw a few fish finning when we first got there and then nothing until the late afternoon and still pretty sparse. Only saw one other net all day. Early maybe?

Fished between red and green can for the afternoon tide then ripped over to sentry shoal for a tack. Nothing but shakers for me today couldn't keep them off! Passed water wolf at the marina maybe should have followed him out! Lol. Can't win em all!

I took a run up to Brown's Bay today to see if there was any sockeye action going on. Of the six boat I saw come in, all but one boat had sockeye. No limits, but those who caught had at least half their limit. I was told early in the morning, before 7 a.m. was the best action at 55' to 75' on the usual variety of pink squirts. Saw a nice maybe 9 pound sockeye brought in. Saw a few chinook, nothing over mid teens.

Fished between red and green can for the afternoon tide then ripped over to sentry shoal for a tack. Nothing but shakers for me today couldn't keep them off! Passed water wolf at the marina maybe should have followed him out! Lol. Can't win em all!
Maybe that was another guy with custom wrapped twin 225 evinrudes!

Back from the patch and fishing the next day(Monday). Headed north, lines in the water at 7:15am at the boundary line in deep water. Only 4 boats including myself, but over at browns counted close to 20. Trolled back and forth, and across boundary line to Sep Head with sox gear on lots bait and jumpers looked fishy. 1 pink 1 sox lost another at boat and what looked to be low 20’ Chinook. All action took place before 9am then nothing. After 10am boats dispersed in search, many boats fishing in the middle of the channel. Lots commercial action everywhere yesterday

Look at all you guys making fun of me when I’m busy jigging up slabs!!! The evening jig on the Wilby Shoals is still king. We came in with 3, two of which were over 20 and lost 3 more in the same category by the boat. Pretty hairy action.

Yesterday was unusual, saw some bait busting in the surface in 45’ at 1:00pm. We went over and got a nice hatchery Coho on the first drop and there was bait all over the shallows. The fellas next two is said that they had already hooked 3 but didn’t land them. Weird for that time of day in 30 degree heat. We couldn’t stay unfortunately.

100,130 and 160 gram Butterfly Jigs in Blue Sardine and Chartreuse Glow were king. It’s nice to see more and more guys having success with the system.

Cheers,

WW

Look at all you guys making fun of me when I’m busy jigging up slabs!!! The evening jig on the Wilby Shoals is still king. We came in with 3, two of which were over 20 and lost 3 more in the same category by the boat. Pretty hairy action.

Yesterday was unusual, saw some bait busting in the surface in 45’ at 1:00pm. We went over and got a nice hatchery Coho on the first drop and there was bait all over the shallows. The fellas next two is said that they had already hooked 3 but didn’t land them. Weird for that time of day in 30 degree heat. We couldn’t stay unfortunately.

100,130 and 160 gram Butterfly Jigs in Blue Sardine and Chartreuse Glow were king. It’s nice to see more and more guys having success with the system.

Cheers,

WW

Looks like lots of boats in the shallows tonight from what I can see through the bino’s from the CR shoreline.

Doesn’t look like many boats between the red and green cans off the ledge.

Will be out tomorrow evening.

Back