2018 Powell River Reports

Hi All. Going to the Powell River area the week of July 16th for the first time. What will the fishing be like then based on past year's. Also are there any areas to drop some prawn and crab pots. Any help would be appreciated. I can even bring some wild Yukon bison as a token of my appreciation

I am up in Powell right now. We have a place on Savary. Fishing is really good around Mace Point, Coho Point (off Texada) and the Sandbanks off Harwood. For prawns, we drop our traps on the north side of Savary between the two sandbanks and at 325 depth. Producing really well right now.

I am up in Powell right now. We have a place on Savary. Fishing is really good around Mace Point, Coho Point (off Texada) and the Sandbanks off Harwood. For prawns, we drop our traps on the north side of Savary between the two sandbanks and at 325 depth. Producing really well right now.
Thanks for reply we will be arriving the 15th not sure where we staying, but looking forward to a few days on the water. Get a little fill before going to valdez in August

It's a bit hit & miss, but there are some nice fish coming in. I was out for a couple of hours a few days ago for high slack.
Lots of fish on the sounder but we had to work for them. Lost a real screamer & kept one legal size. No big feed balls spotted. Lots of guys coming home empty handed.
Going out again tomorrow & Friday. Will report if I don't get skunked. Finally, the winds seem to be cooperating.
The guys that get out at sunrise seem to be doing well.

Thanks for the reports fellas long boat ride up there. Is there a good place to dock up there for the night? I would have my wife and the boy like always. Are you able to dock up and check out some eating spots within walking distance?

Local south harbour is right by the ferry terminal for overnighting in the center of town. Number of great eating spots within 10 minutes walk.
Plus 2 fishing stores within 5 minutes for fishing reports or tackle, Marine Traders and Pro Outdoors

Yeah... Talked to a few guys yesterday & all mentioned jigging is hot right now. Saw lots of fish hanging on the tops of humps at Coho Point last time out. Probably would have done better if we'd dropped a jig in front of them.
Where are you coming from, Murph?
If the South Harbour is full, you can back track to Grief Point & overnight at the Beach Gardens. Decent restaurant & accomodation right at the harbour. Much better facilities at the South Harbour, though. Looked like it had some berths open when I drove by this morning.

Last edited:
Dropped in at coho pointo at430pm. Saw bait on bottom so dropped down to about 220-250 whole herring and dummy flasher. 1 coho, 2 springs. The springs on a double header. I made a move for the larger one and boated it. Smaller 14# or so came off while landing the larger one. Tight lines.

Finally broke a string of skunks today. (Last four times out, we came home with nice bottom fish, but no salmon.) A fine afternoon on the water with daughter & grandson here on holiday. Boated a 14.5 and a 7.5 pounder at Mystery Reef at low slack. Both red, the bigger one a hatchery fish. We worked the east side of the reef at 150 to 175'. Also hit 6 undersize Chinook. Both fish had empty bellies. Lots of small feed balls, but nothing of any size. No bananas flasher & 3 1/2" cop car did most of the work. Tried a few hoochies, but no joy there.
Wind came up in the evening so we cruised to the mill & trolled to Westview from there. Released a couple of small Chinook on the way, but that was it for the day. Smiles all 'round.

Out at Grants first light this morning a few fish around it wasn't lights out fishing but we got our 2 and heading in by 9.

On the water around 08:00 today. Started at Mystery reef. Cruised around looking for ANYTHING on the sounder. Gave up & continued to check out the area.
Ended up at sand bluff on Harwood for low slack. Lots of action, but mostly undersize. Lost a nice teener at the boat but did manage to boat one fat little red hatchery Chinook before the bite died.
Mostly trolled the 125' contour at 85' to 100'. Very little in the way of feed showing on the sounder.
The spring we brought home was full of 4 - 5" herring
The larger (lost) fish came in on a purple haze flasher & hoochie. All the rest were caught on anchovies & lemon lime flasher.
There were quite a few boats around, jigging & trolling. Didn't see any other nets waving, but we were pretty busy.
Gonna try the Lang Creek area on Sunday. Fish should be starting to stage there by now. Unclipped coho legal from Aug 15 to Sept 15. Boundary is inside a line drawn between Black Point & Scotch Fir Point. (Info courtesy of Sam & Darcy at PR Outfitters.)
The creek is pretty low & there were no fish entering when we checked it out yesterday.
Talked to a guy on the beach who told me there were a few coho caught by local small boats launched from the beach at Brew Bay.

On the water around 08:00 today. Started at Mystery reef. Cruised around looking for ANYTHING on the sounder. Gave up & continued to check out the area.
Ended up at sand bluff on Harwood for low slack. Lots of action, but mostly undersize. Lost a nice teener at the boat but did manage to boat one fat little red hatchery Chinook before the bite died.
Mostly trolled the 125' contour at 85' to 100'. Very little in the way of feed showing on the sounder.
The spring we brought home was full of 4 - 5" herring
The larger (lost) fish came in on a purple haze flasher & hoochie. All the rest were caught on anchovies & lemon lime flasher.
There were quite a few boats around, jigging & trolling. Didn't see any other nets waving, but we were pretty busy.
Gonna try the Lang Creek area on Sunday. Fish should be starting to stage there by now. Unclipped coho legal from Aug 15 to Sept 15. Boundary is inside a line drawn between Black Point & Scotch Fir Point. (Info courtesy of Sam & Darcy at PR Outfitters.)
The creek is pretty low & there were no fish entering when we checked it out yesterday.
Talked to a guy on the beach who told me there were a few coho caught by local small boats launched from the beach at Brew Bay.

This rain we had last night and this morning should get things moving at Lang. Today and tomorrow could be interesting down there.

Back