Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case some of you didn't see this in the "Whale of a whopper" thread.

Anyone remember the original reason this thread was posted? Probably not as most of you are busy reminding each other of how smart you are and how stupid everyone else is. The next derogatory remark or calling out of another member to "prove" something in this or any other FF thread will be your last in this forum. Have tried numerous times to have some of you accept that the "other" side is never going to come around to your point of view and repeatedly reminded all involved to act in a respectful manner while posting your remarks. Those of you who can't help yourself will be gone. Whomever is left behind can carry on this endless debate, provided you too don't fall into the same pile of BS.

“Salmofarms will build land-based salmon farm in Norway.”

“The goal is to build a facility that can produce 5,000 tons of salmon per year in a first round. In the next phase the production will be increased to 10,000 tons a year.”
More good info from Agentaqua
Why would Norway be investing so much money in land base Fish Farms?
Will our Fish Farms finally move in this direction and stop polluting our ocean!

Fish farm granted injunction against activists
"Marine Harvest Canada was granted an injunction that blocks activists from occupying its buildings on Swanson Island and from boarding any of its farms and docks"
"An exception was made, however, for marine biologist Alexandra Morton, who is allowed to enter the buffer zone — in a boat no longer than 2.6 metres — so that she may continue collecting water samples for her research".
"Morton said in a statement that she believes Marine Harvest doesn’t share adequate information about the health of its salmon, and allowing scientists access to the water outside the farms is in the public interest."

Here in lies one of the biggest problems, in my opinion, with Fish Farm credibility...their refusal to allow unbias monitoring!!

What are Fish Farms trying to hide???
"Below is a link to an update on my efforts to protect wild salmon from salmon farms. I have hope we will be successful, but it is now a race against extinction of some wild runs. However, so many people are involved now that wild salmon have a much better chance for survival.
On September 10, the real fight begins as my lawsuit with Ecojustice and a Namgis lawsuit are heard together in Vancouver to halt the dirty practice of transferring piscine orthoreovirus infected Atlantic salmon into salmon farms on the BC coast. This is against the law in Canada, and I already won a case ruling that the Minister of Fisheries must screen farm salmon for this virus, but he has chosen to ignore this decision.
We have vessels hired by Marine Harvest following us everywhere, they have blacked out windows, more aggressive than smart for an industry on thin ice. However, a court ruling last week gave me permission to continue sampling near Marine Harvest farms, so the research into their impact continues."

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2018/08/30-days-on-martin-sheen.html
"This fight continues to escalate."
Alexandra Morton

What are Fish Farms trying to hide???
"Below is a link to an update on my efforts to protect wild salmon from salmon farms. I have hope we will be successful, but it is now a race against extinction of some wild runs. However, so many people are involved now that wild salmon have a much better chance for survival.
On September 10, the real fight begins as my lawsuit with Ecojustice and a Namgis lawsuit are heard together in Vancouver to halt the dirty practice of transferring piscine orthoreovirus infected Atlantic salmon into salmon farms on the BC coast. This is against the law in Canada, and I already won a case ruling that the Minister of Fisheries must screen farm salmon for this virus, but he has chosen to ignore this decision.
We have vessels hired by Marine Harvest following us everywhere, they have blacked out windows, more aggressive than smart for an industry on thin ice. However, a court ruling last week gave me permission to continue sampling near Marine Harvest farms, so the research into their impact continues."

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2018/08/30-days-on-martin-sheen.html
"This fight continues to escalate."
Alexandra Morton

It's pretty amusing watching AM chase around First Nations on Seine boats that tender for the fish farms. Has a long stick on the end with a cup trying to get a sample coming out of the bilge. Should of took more pictures.

upload_2018-8-5_12-50-55.png

upload_2018-8-5_12-51-22.png

wildmanyeah Well-Known Member
You seem all worked up need a snack?
Dave Well-Known Member
yawn
We seem to have a couple of posts that offer absolutely nothing to the subject of Fish Farms.
Unless you wish to respond to the substance of posts in an intelligent manner, why do you bother with such dribble?

Try this fogged in …. She will find PRV in her samples. We know that and so does she, that’s why she’s there. But, the water samples Almo is collecting, looking for PRV, would have far more relevance if identical samples, using the same methodology and analysis, were taken in or nearby any lodge or marina that cleans a lot of sport caught salmon, and downstream of the effluent stream of any Federal salmon hatchery.

Those would be interesting data, I think we could all agree on that.

Try this fogged in …. She will find PRV in her samples. We know that and so does she, that’s why she’s there. But, the water samples Almo is collecting, looking for PRV, would have far more relevance if identical samples, using the same methodology and analysis, were taken in or nearby any lodge or marina that cleans a lot of sport caught salmon, and downstream of the effluent stream of any Federal salmon hatchery.
Those would be interesting data, I think we could all agree on that.

Hey Dave
You choose not to comment on my recent post;
“Salmofarms will build land-based salmon farm in Norway.”
Is this a good thing? Why would they not just build more Open Net Pens?
You seem to think Open Net Pen Fish Farms is the only way to go and just the mention of Alexandra Morton and her work sends you into a tizzy.
Your latest post above is a weak argument in your support of Open Net Pen Fish Farms.
There is no end of evidence that Farmed Atlantic Salmon are infected with and are spreading the PRV virus, Sea Lice and other things.

“PRV is known to be present in Norway, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Chile, the United States and Canada (Biering and Garseth 2012; Kibenge et al. 2013; Siah et al. 2015).
In Canada, PRV was first detected in 2011 on the west coast.”

I have no desire to get into an endless debate with you Dave and respect your opinion even though I disagree with it, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
ISA suspected at Chile Cermaq salmon farm
Owen Evans
1 August 2018
http://salmonbusiness.com/isa-suspected-at-chile-cermaq-salmon-farm/

Chilean Government to evaluate new sanitary measures after Aysén ISA virus discovery

6 August 2018
Owen Evans
http://salmonbusiness.com/chilean-g...ary-measures-after-aysen-isa-virus-discovery/

Here's another AA; http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...o-push-macquarie-harbour-to-the-limit/8349342
A different effect causing a similar outcome but both due to the same cause- greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back