OH boy, another cooler!!

Hi guys! I know what we all need is another cooler as most of us have them stacked up and don't use most of what we already have. I am the same. But a couple times a year I need a cooler that may be good for more than a day or two when travelling. In the past I daily replace ice or empty contents into over night freezers at friends or motels along the way... that works but is a pain in the ---, and last year my cooler of fish for my mother was on the airport tarmac 12 hours due to plane problems and was mostly melted and soft.

I hear a lot about these yeti coolers.. anyone have any first hand experience? Expensive!! Or any brands that work better..

Thanks

I have a calcutta purchased from harbor Chandler which is identical to the woods brand at cdn tire. Side by side compared to a yeti my calcutta outperforms the yeti. My brother inlaw has a yeti and i like to rub it in when we go camping lol one thing about the latch mechanism that I dislike though is the first few times you use it you will pinch your hand until you learn how not to hold it. Gets my wife every time lol

Don't fall for and drink the Yeti Kool-aid. Best YT video for cooler comparison.

However, I just use a Coleman Xtreme cooler from Canadian Tire. Lasts days if you keep the lid closed and the cooler out of the sun.

Last edited:
Hard to beat a Yeti. Had a couple for 11 years and they keep ice for a week during sub 23 degree weather (blocked). Built like a sh*t house as well. Every time I loaded up my Coleman the handles fell out. Load up a Yeti with 75 lbs of ice and the handles feel solid still.

X2 on the Coleman extreme. Ice for 5 days easy if your not in and out of it constantly.

I use the Coleman Extreme and then for long trips add rigid foam panels to all sides, top, and bottom that I custom cut for the cooler. Some duct tape holds it in place. It will EASILY hold ice for 10 days at a fraction of the cost of a Yeti plus I don't sacrifice giving up interior space for the extra insulation that happens with a Yeti.

I use the Coleman Extreme and then for long trips add rigid foam panels to all sides, top, and bottom that I custom cut for the cooler. Some duct tape holds it in place. It will EASILY hold ice for 10 days at a fraction of the cost of a Yeti plus I don't sacrifice giving up interior space for the extra insulation that happens with a Yeti.

I assume that is the blue 1 1/2 inch rigid insulation that you have made a box out of and set the entire cooler in?? Did you cut holes for the handles?
PB

I assume that is the blue 1 1/2 inch rigid insulation that you have made a box out of and set the entire cooler in?? Did you cut holes for the handles?
PB
Correct. I cut it to size and then tape the ends with duct tape to give it a finished edge. The cooler sits on a panel and then the four side panels sit on top of the bottom panel making a box that the cooler is sitting in. The side panels are duct taped together to hold the box shape. The top panel just sits loosely on top.

I didn't cut holes for the handles. I just set the panels up when I get to where I'm staying and since the whole thing doesn't get moved until I leave didn't see the need for handle holes.

It works great and weighs virtually nothing. Also pretty inexpensive to fabricate.

I also use extruded foam insulation - but on the inside with 3/4 inch thickness cut to fit the sides and bottom of the cooler. I found even with only 3/4 inch, this works better then having the exterior of the cooler covered in the foam as it keeps the cold in the cooler. Whereas with the exterior method, the cold has already escaped the cooler. Also use tuck (not duct tape) to seal all joints and to also seal the top of insulation panel to the inside cooler wall as it will hold and last much better then duct tape.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.60mm-x-50m-red-sheathing-housewrap-tape.1000181212.html

i use a cooler full of ice... inside a cooler... cheap ya, and it works.

There are some YouTubers that have bought an el cheapo cooler, then injected spray foam insulation into the hollow lid. then modded the lid with a weather stripping and screw down latches. Worked quite well.

IMO the secret to a cooler is keeping it full to the brim, so there's no air space and then keeping it closed and in the shade.

I would add that making sure that things you are putting in the cooler are pre-chilled to as cold a temp as possible will go a long ways towards making cooler ice last longer.

If you have extra room in the cooler filling those voids with near frozen beer works quite well!

I have a calcutta purchased from harbor Chandler which is identical to the woods brand at cdn tire. Side by side compared to a yeti my calcutta outperforms the yeti. My brother inlaw has a yeti and i like to rub it in when we go camping lol one thing about the latch mechanism that I dislike though is the first few times you use it you will pinch your hand until you learn how not to hold it. Gets my wife every time lol

I have the Calcutta 80l. Awesome cooler us it all the time.

Back