2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Tried off Winchelsea last night for few hours till dark. Tried hootchies, spoons and plugs at various depths and speeds. A couple of releases on hootchie and spoon but not one decent hit on anything. Only saw one patch of bait and it wasn't very big. Doesn't seem to be much activity just lately ?

Always very slow for me out of Schooner from July out. This year was exceptionally good right up until recently. Maybe others have had more success, the same old spots and techniques haven’t yielded much compared to FC and other spots. PS, lots of bait right off shore along Blueback last night. Little minnows jumping everywhere!

Three strait days of overflow parking at the French Creek Marina. Hopefully some nookie's got boated, and maybe someone actually spotted a sockeye school or two. Formulating a plan of attack for the week...

Hump day and I still have not heard a credible report from over the weekend. This in spite of the entire French Creek Navy being out front with more cannon balls in the water than the Battle of Trafalgar.

I'll be out following my hunches soon.

Hump day and I still have not heard a credible report from over the weekend. This in spite of the entire French Creek Navy being out front with more cannon balls in the water than the Battle of Trafalgar.

We were out there on Monday for a few hours. Constant action. Nothing huge, lots of wild Cohos and landed two Springs just under so back they went. Kept one hatch Ho.

Reactions: Che

Saturday 2 hatchery coho, lot's of wild, one under size spring and one about 9# on plug. Same thing on Sunday, almost exactly except I was done at 8 instead of 9am. Monday managed one hatchery a few wild and one tiny spring.

This seems to be the standard report right now, plenty of coho and the occasional small chinook and the fewer mature fish.

Need to start hunting down the big mature chinooks that should be starting to ply the waters fattening up before the spawn. Hope to get out tomorrow or Friday.

Oh I should mention on Monday while I'm getting my **** together still darkish out, the Finder is beeping like crazy and 100's of fish go buy for about 10 minutes. Sockeye I assume. Couldn't catch one though.

Saturday Ballenas was deadly. 2 springs and 3 hatchery coho. Between 80 and 110 on White hootchy and green speckle back. Yesterday was a total bust. 4 hrs at Ballenas and not one bite. 1 hr at front, 1 wild coho at 180 ft..

Reactions: Che
Save On Derby this weekend... Should be too many boats out, will be interesting to see how many fish are weighed in.

Yah there are lots of fish holding at the river. It is definitely a first light bite right now, but anchovies and pink hootchies have been producing decent fish there for almost a week now. Good luck!
Great thanks, will be out there tomorrow bright and early.

Back