Someone hit my trailer hitch and wants me to pay for the damage?! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you are allowed protruding items no more the 36” past you taillights without being flagged. I’ve been measured by the RCMP ride checkes in golden B.C, they were checking snowmobilers. After 36” you legally have to have an orange/red flag attached to the furthest point I was told.

Hope they didn't scratch your hitch.
Haha thank goodness the hitch is ok!

Update. RCMP called back after the officer talked to him. Sounded like he got worked up over nothing, there isn’t even any damage to his truck....WTF. He sent me a text when he realized who I was. Sooo sorry yadda yadda he owes ME a coffee. Damn straight. Smells like extortion
Moral of this story. Leave your hitches on in BC, prevent twats like this from hitting your bumper (back-up sensors, camera etc...)

Parking lots 50/50? If we were both moving then yes. When party A sucks at driving while party B is drinking coffee then there would be no reason I should be responsible for damages at all. As far as I know the only rules we have about stuff on the back of our vehicles is nothing blocking the licence plate (even those plastic covers which is like a $370 fine? Got one of those) and if an object sticks out 3 feet then it must be flagged

Carry on nothing to see here ;) gonna need to fish tomorrow

Haha thank goodness the hitch is ok!

Update. RCMP called back after the officer talked to him. Sounded like he got worked up over nothing, there isn’t even any damage to his truck....WTF. He sent me a text when he realized who I was. Sooo sorry yadda yadda he owes ME a coffee. Damn straight. Smells like extortion
Moral of this story. Leave your hitches on in BC, prevent twats like this from hitting your bumper (back-up sensors, camera etc...)

Parking lots 50/50? If we were both moving then yes. When party A sucks at driving while party B is drinking coffee then there would be no reason I should be responsible for damages at all. As far as I know the only rules we have about stuff on the back of our vehicles is nothing blocking the licence plate (even those plastic covers which is like a $370 fine? Got one of those) and if an object sticks out 3 feet then it must be flagged

Carry on nothing to see here ;) gonna need to fish tomorrow

Ya both moving makes sense on the 50/50 either way ridiculous some person crashes into your hitch and goes after you for damage lol

this is interesting, a couple of years ago I went thru a road block in north van (district) and the rcmp officer told me I could get a ticket for having my hitch in the receiver . so maybe this is a municipal thing, next time I see an officer at starbucks I'll ask about it. it you really think about it bumbers are there for a reason, it is illegal to drive without one apparently, so like in an instance above where the rad got punctured when the guy rear ended a hitch, icbc ends up paying way more for damage due to the hitch even though the guy that rear ended him was 100% at fault.

just remembered what the officer actually said, lol. he said I could get a ticket because the ball on the hitch was covering part of my license plate, not that it was illegal to have the hitch in place. the mind gets a little wonky as one ages, lol.

Last edited:
this is interesting, a couple of years ago I went thru a road block in north van (district) and the rcmp officer told me I could get a ticket for having my hitch in the receiver unless I'm on my way to use it or have just used it. so maybe this is a municipal thing, next time I see an officer at starbucks I'll ask about it. it you really think about it bumbers are there for a reason, it is illegal to drive without one apparently, so like in an instance above where the rad got punctured when the guy rear ended a hitch, icbc ends up paying way more for damage due to the hitch even though the guy that rear ended him was 100% at fault.
Most small cars would not even hit the bumper on a lot trucks. I would bet most would be pinned under the truck and half way up the hood before they came to a stop.

I didn't read the notes you posted, but personally I always take my hitch out specifically to avoid this type of situation. Also, so I don't back up the hitch through the bumper of the car behind me when parallel parking.

And you never know when someone will steal it.

id buy a new hitch and ball, no telling if theres any hidden damage, could cause the trailer to come disconnected.... then send the bill to icbc

who knows how hard he hit your hitch, I would tell him he is paying for you to take it to a shop and have the hitch assembly and frame where it's bolted checked to make sure there is no damage and to ensure it's safe. he hit you while parked, admitted it and even put in writing (just saw the note, lol) . now this is something they could use in a dumb and dumber remake, lol

I thought parking lots were 50/50.
Not if your parked, I had a guy back into my brand new ram 8000 damage ( ya backed into it with a Chevy Van Tank and moved it a stall over) and he was 100% and I well was more than upset

I hope he isn't pulling a 24 ft Grady like that!!! lol

That’s amazing! Thanks for the laugh Trophy :)

Update. This guy hasn’t shown his face at this Starbucks since the incident. He said he owes “me” the coffee and disappeared.
I’ve thought about nicnat’s advice about getting it checked out but I really don’t think anything even happened, just a goof trying to get some money.

That’s amazing! Thanks for the laugh Trophy :)

Update. This guy hasn’t shown his face at this Starbucks since the incident. He said he owes “me” the coffee and disappeared.
I’ve thought about nicnat’s advice about getting it checked out but I really don’t think anything even happened, just a goof trying to get some money.

Glad you liked it. Thought of you the minute I saw it.
Take care...

I've heard you CAN get a ticket for having a hitch installed without a trailer attached. She may have something. Don't have anything to back it up but I do the same as you (the extra protection lol) and I've had two people tell me that.
I was warned about having an extended hitch.. and camper tie downs and mirror extensions at a road check near keremeos about ten yrs ago ..never changed anything ... never had anyone say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back