2018 Nanaimo Reports

Tried the bay, just west of Big Finger. Brought 5 fish to the boat between 5 and 6 am. DR at 60 and 70ft over 160 of water. Kept 1 spring, 6lbs. On anchovies.
First time out in a month and I lost 5 fish as soon as they surfaced. I must be rusty. Got to go back more often.
Had 2 wild coho, released using pliers while fish still in water.

Got out for a few hours at tide change yesterday. Fished the 300 - 400 contour outside the Fingers. Released a couple wild coho(161 ft Green flasher and glow green Coho Killer) and kept a 15 pound white Spring. 177 ft on Bon Chovy flasher with Irish cream glow Skinny G. Started out as a double header, other fish got around downrigger line, prop, my line....Gong show...LOL. Lucky my wife is good on the net!

lot's of fresh pinks out off of the fingers today..best was 10am.Good fishery for the kids,they would like it.Small anchovies on a 6 foot leader was the ticket.3 small wild coho released,8 pinks released...no springs....

lot's of fresh pinks out off of the fingers today..best was 10am.Good fishery for the kids,they would like it.Small anchovies on a 6 foot leader was the ticket.3 small wild coho released,8 pinks released...no springs....

6 ft leader? Isn't it a but unusually long for bait?

IMO 6 ft is pretty standard for both bait and spoons. Some guys run 7 - 8 ft leaders on their bait rigs.

BTW, great weekend out there, saw lots of nets and lots of Coho on Sunday, wife got a nice 8 lb hatchery and released a few feisty wilds. Monday was apparently Chinook day, she got a 16 lb marbled Spring. Also tried shallow(60 - 70 ft) in the morning and got quite a few undersized.
Most fish hit at 185 ft on rigger, on green glow coho killer behind green flasher, in 300 -440 ft outside Fingers.

I’m rocking 6’ leaders on bait and around 5’ on spoons. I must be doing something wrong wth my bait as I’ve only picked up keepers on spoons this year. Been happy with the roll every time.

I run 10 feet sometimes. It’s not easy getting them in the net but you would be surprised how effective it can be.

Got 2 hatchery coho this morning on Irish Cream spoon and matching flasher. 160 over 300 off Hudson rock.
Only caught coho this morning. No sox or spring.
As for the bait leader, got wild on everything from 3 to 6 feet.
RBL, you use up to 10 ft? I will try it next tine out.

Went out Monday morning, great day out there. Dusted off an old blue coho killer, it alone hooked up 6 nice fish, 4 nice sized chinook, and two coho about 8 pound, Wild, so plopped them back into the water. First I've ever caught a coho that big

Got 2 hatchery coho this morning on Irish Cream spoon and matching flasher. 160 over 300 off Hudson rock.
Only caught coho this morning. No sox or spring.
As for the bait leader, got wild on everything from 3 to 6 feet.
RBL, you use up to 10 ft? I will try it next tine out.
Yes I’m the Summer with bait or spoons at least 8-10. Try it out

Got out last night for a couple of hours between 6:30 and 8:30. Fished in and around the Fingers. Had a real hard hit that popped the clip but didn't stick. Around 8:00 got into a decent spring, maybe 15 pounds. Landed that with the help of my daughter and her first time netting. Meanwhile the second rod had gone off. Really good fight and got a wild Coho up to the side of the boat. It was as big as the spring length wise. Both on spoons. 150 and 135 off the last finger. Coho released via gaff. Called it a night. Meanwhile during this gong show my wife was driving the boat headed into the sun and saw two whales, one that partially breached. Beauty night out there.

Good stuff unreel, watched the videos on Facebook looks like your a heck of a mentor and guide lots of patients well done.

PS, like the tunes playing as well lol.

Wow that is the biggest I have seen around here. Well done.
I like the idea of bringing the big fish gene back.
Good for you.

Back