2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Looks like Cree is a good place to be. We fished for 3 hours this morning and had steady action. We hooked 4 teener fish but had our possession limits on springs so released 2 at the boat, kept one and a big coho. The winning lure was a white, needle fish hootchy at 45 feet.

Tyler took a nice fish from Cree last weekend. The white needlefish hootchy did the trick fished at 67 feet.Tyler's salmon.jpg

Last edited:
overall fishin is slow inside , pockets here and there , very few fish at the tables ,
is what it is , inside , Small spoons , Herring aid patterns best
cree/ austin most consistent for sure , Danvers to Ellis also on the floods ,Meathole , i found my fish , had to work for them for sure , 40 lber weighed in on friday !!

fd
Where is meathole

Wind forecast looks great ..heading over now for long weekend..tieing up to Seabeams house on left...
Good luck everyone..see yas out there ..stay safe

Overwlemed with messages
Sorry just dont have the time to respond , with the family chillin mostly , inside is SLOW , few fish along the surfline from keeha bay to cree ,
Most boats comin back with long faces and a fish or 2 fish if lucky ,
Place to fill ur boat is bigbank if thats what ur lookin for ! Rats loaded with coho and teeners
Gd
Lk
FD

Overwlemed with messages
Sorry just dont have the time to respond , with the family chillin mostly , inside is SLOW , few fish along the surfline from keeha bay to cree ,
Most boats comin back with long faces and a fish or 2 fish if lucky ,
Place to fill ur boat is bigbank if thats what ur lookin for ! Rats loaded with coho and teeners
Gd
Lk
FD

Got to sacrifice on some trips hey bud. Enjoy the last couple of days.

Ladies and gentlemen! I’m here to report that if you want to fish for coho at 30’, or 100’, or 200’, you will find what you are looking for at Rat’s Nose. Want to fish to with a white hoochie? Go for it. Like bait? Have at ‘er. Itching to have your coho killer bent? You’ve come to the right place.

Just back from a jaunt at Rat’s Nose and the coho are chunky and everywhere out there. This was our first ever trip offshore and upon arrival suspected something was wrong with the downrigger clip as it popped the first time we dropped our lines there. Then the second. Then the third.... from the time we arrived on site to the time we could actually get back to the driver’s seat was at least a half an hour. The coho were hitting so aggressively that we were having a tough time getting down to the bottom for springs. Alas the majority of the big ones were wild and we had to let them swim free, however they provided loads of entertainment for us.

We ended up finding a bunch of hatchery coho and some nice springs, along with a bonus hali.

Recommend white hoochie in the mud for springs, and bait at 110-140 for a chance at hatchery coho and the odd spring.

Thanks to all who helped me prepare for our first offshore jaunt!

PS. Recommend you learn how to reel fast. These things rocket up on you and it is fast work to keep up with them.

thanks SaltyA - sounds like ya had fun.
We will be out in Bam from 11-14, let me know if you need a beer!

My prediction is we will have a decent in-shore report for the fellas and gals on the forum by then

Step father in law was at pill today. Nothing. Not even a shaker. The picked up one rockfish between link and weld islands. My wife and I will be heading down in the morning ‘till Tuesday. We don’t have cell coverage at the cabin to be able to give daily updates but if anyone wants they can call us up we will be on Ch6. Call sign is “At Ease”. I plan on trolling from Yankee Bay to Bamfield for the last part of the morning and for most of the afternoon.

Somebody got the coordinates of the Rats Nose by chance? Will be in Bamtown next week and may try offshore for the first time too if wheather permits.

Somebody got the coordinates of the Rats Nose by chance? Will be in Bamtown next week and may try offshore for the first time too if wheather permits.

N48 35.500 W125 39.300
it’s a jaunt but sounds like it’s worth it
will be there first week of Sept. hopefully there’s still some big slabs around? anyone fish that late there?

Any idea when the laperouse bank weather buoy will be up and running? Hoping to go offshore this Sunday. Want to make sure the swell height and interval is tolerable in my 17.5fter Windy.com is saying 1.0m-1.3m at 9-11 second interval. What do you guys think.

@RiverBoy
Have fished Bam the last week of Sept. (last time two years ago). Lots of Coho around then, big ones! Still some springs too.
We will be at McKay Bay the week of Aug 26 then over to Salmon Beach for the Long Weekend till the 4th.

Been in Bam all week. Inside fishing is SLOW. Water is like chocolate milk.

I remember last year the bloom in late August was like tropical turquoise. Still not as nice as clear water, but at least it made all my photos look exotic.

Just on way back, very slow on inside but on fire at 12mile and rats nose (20 mile out). A lengthy trip but well worth it if you can get out.
We did pick up a 28lbr at Mears bluff on Friday.
Tight lines all.

Back