Nets at Camel Toe Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next week on the Fraser their will probably be a catch and release commercial Area E chinook fishery using sockeye mesh.

Not even talking about First Nations fisheries.

It’s okay tho Che your area took a 35%
Reduction to put more spawners on the grounds, they just have to swim threw a catch and release Gil net fishery first.

This forum has set a new low. And you wonder why Sporties do not get any respect when you argue about FN constitutional fishing rights then throw in discussions of Che Guevara, Castro, Swastikas, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, China, dead Canadian military vets - all in one thread.

Stay classy, Sporties...

Time for @Admin to bring the ban hammer down.

Name one.

It's a multi faceted issue, but how aboriginal people choose to exercise their right to hunt and fish, really isn't one of them.

Seines, but they were banned for used in the early 1900 on the Fraser river because they were too effective.

Instead they settled on drift nets because fish could still swim under them.

Again talking about commercial fishing

Not the gaff, weir, trap or dip net fishery First Nations were using at the time.

The ironic part is is First Nations now use gillnets because commercial fishermen complained that their gaff fishery was too barbaric.

Last edited:
See above video on the pound trap as well.

Furthermore, the number one priority that trumps all is conservation of at risk stocks. So if the method currently being used affects at risk species i.e. Thompson River Steelhead the onus shifts to all user groups to find more selective methods. Gill nets have simply become the default as @wildmanyeah alludes to above.

This forum has set a new low. And you wonder why Sporties do not get any respect when you argue about FN constitutional fishing rights then throw in discussions of Che Guevara, Castro, Swastikas, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, China, dead Canadian military vets - all in one thread.

Stay classy, Sporties...

Time for @Admin to bring the ban hammer down.

Some people are passionate about our country, our resources and what's happening to them and concerned about the direction this country is taking and our concerns come out in different ways. Others, well don't care I guess. People don't respect us because we let people walk all over us like door matts, it's time the gloves come off.

I've seen Beach Seine nets used on the Harrison. However, it takes a team of guys to haul it in. Having hauled in a few beach seines in my time, I can say it's very hard work. But seine nets are only for use in certain areas and conditions. They don't maximize that CPUE.

The under lying issue here is jealousy and resentment that many have towards aboriginal people in that they are able to fish whenever and however they want. Its a focus on the fish that are coming back, not the fish going out.

This will go 'round and 'round. I'm done.

The ongoing gill net fishery on the Fraser and in the saltchuck over the next 2 months will garuntee interior Fraser steelhead as well as many other weak stocks will be extinct soon.
Jealously over making stocks go extinct?
Give your head a shake man...our government and fisheries staff should be held accountable.
And saying beach seining is too much effort ? Thank you for allowing laziness too wipe out endangered fish.
Fyi.....beach seining works awesome at seabird....except the.non target species just get thrown on the beach!!

Anyone in here ever experience a brood stock seine collapse in on the the fish that you are trying to take for live capture enhancement? Can be instant death. That is volunteers and experience hatchery staff taking extra care to ensure a safe arrival into the holding areas. Imagine a fast and furious beach seine fishery...Hmmm. Ya. As a side note, DFO sanctioned aboriginal commercial fisheries should be welcomed into fruition...they are a strong-arm into total accountability and legally binding contracts that the licensed fisher must abide by Law. DFO sanctioned aboriginal commercial licence and requirements as well it is 100% legally binding. Abide or be charged. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Give your head a shake man...our government and fisheries staff should be held accountable.

Posting anonymously as "WhiteBuck" and sadly lamenting that the government and fisheries staff be held accountable, is sure to keep those people awake at night wondering when the accountability police will be knocking on their door...

You and others who continuously beat the same old tired drum and drone the same old and repetitious laments, really need to realize that the people who can make change are not listening here on this forum. So in effect, you are also partly responsible for declining fishing stocks, unless you get off this forum and make your voice heard in the real world where change has a much better chance of succeeding. I made you an offer 2 times to possibly make your voice heard and you have not responded - but to no surprise it was not accepted - and so, I will never offer it again to you.

The bowel movement you mean... because this petition is just full of it. This is a thinly veiled attack on aboriginal people's constitutional right to hunt and fish. It comes from a 'me first' & jealous attitude towards that right.

The irony here is that the initial incident happened in Nootka Sound, where Juan Perez first contacted the Aboriginal people of BC in 1774. Its a pretty safe bet that Camel Rock is a traditional fishing area for the Mowachaht. So, really, who got in the way of who here?

Look, I respect the FN's right to fish at some reasonable level. However, its completely unreasonable to set up a gill net across the busiest transit point in Nootka Sound and not expect people to get upset. To me its sending some message to people and its not a good one. Its irresponsible and more importantly likely to cause an accident with the risk of a serious injury. There was already a serious "accident" at that location late June. Cutting and leaving that net floating in the water was probably as bad as placing it there in the first place. Unacceptable behaviour. Its not that complicated.
Also, if my recollection of John Jewitt's memoir of his time in Nootka (1801/05) is correct, the Nuu-chah-nulth people fished using abalone shell and hooks made from whale bone. Not nets.

Last edited:
We all have opinions on this hot topic but posting opinion on a forum is a lose, lose, situation. The only study i have ever read that shows fish recovery is "No fishing". None...and that's where we are heading.

Also, if my recollection of John Jewitt's memoir of his time in Nootka (1801/05) is correct, the Nuu-chah-nulth people fished using abalone shell and hooks made from whale bone. Not nets.
This whole thing that FN should be using pre-contact methods to fish is such nonsense. Fishing was often a risky business with those tools. So it would be OK for some FN fishermen to lose their lives trying to fish that way? Plus the numbers of fish now due to European newcomers is way less, so they are harder to catch, why would they not have access to modern methods. Maybe DFO should restrict Sport fisherman to the equipment available in say 1950. Little wooden boats, no downriggers or sonar or fiberglass hulls. Would be just as stupid.
. The only study i have ever read that shows fish recovery is "No fishing". None...and that's where we are heading.
Maybe not no fishing, but certainly more restrictions. FN have won commercial access to fish before Sport fishing allocations, and there are less fish, being chased by more (over 300,ooo license holders) sport fisherman, who are increasing their investments in bigger, faster boats and more technology to better find and catch those dwindling fish. Most guides and many individuals now have boats that can access offshore areas in all but the snottiest conditions. The only way to curtail catches is to impose restrictions. Global warming, destruction of estuaries, dams, logging, sewage discharge, none of it is going away, the fish are not going to come back to where they once were. the best case scenario is keeping them stable.

Cleaned up some of the most ridiculous statements in this thread. There are points here that are good from both sides of the debate, but once again, keep it on track and stay away from broad general comments, derogatory statements, or racist innuendos and the debate can continue. Most importantly, as I have stated numerous times in other threads dealing with these types of topics, ranting about your outrage on this forum is not going to help find a reasonable solution to the numerous challenges facing our collective fisheries issues. Take your fight where it needs to go.

Look, I respect the FN's right to fish at some reasonable level. However, its completely unreasonable to set up a gill net across the busiest transit point in Nootka Sound and not expect people to get upset.

This is the conflict that OP initiated. The problem is one of entitlement, and only one side is truly entitled to the fishing grounds.

For those of you who haven't read John Jewitt's book, you should. It will give you an idea of what these people were like prior to European contact, and perspective on how the residential school system destroyed their culture and identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back