It is over with slot enjoy your fishing. DFO will not send a followup. Consider yourself lucky the Cow Bay anglers are done as of today for this year with no access to bluffs as well as Pender island, and Sidney group.

Fished Beachy to trap 6-1 today, nice and cold with early westerlies, lots of small shakers and 2 pop off's but no real love. Did see a couple nets out, really easy launch, parked in front of ramp. That's a first for me in Aug at Cheana, only 10 boats there at noon. Went offshore for the socs, no love out there either. Lots of whales, started with porpoise early then 1 grey went by then a large pod of orca, of course surrounded, chased and harassed by a battle group of whale watchers. I am glad that the 60Ft huge boats with monster rooster tails don't bother the whales as much as my 9.9 and 150. Good job its only us that are stopping them from feeding and starving them??? Will wait a couple days, hopefully some of them socs become thicker so I can get one.

HM

I particularly like it when those 50' boats run 40mph 100 ft away from you when you are trolling in 3 ft seas.

Picked up another small spring this morning. Army truck with purple haze flasher 90’ on DR straight out front at the drop off. Dragged an anchovie but only got a shaker. Not having much luck finding anything of decent size. Wind and waves got too much for us at 1030. Then the orcas came through chased by a fleet of whale watchers.

I gotta ask. Not trying to be a dick.
But does anyone know who keeps throwing crab traps in the trolling tack of everyone in pedder bay in front of fossil point.
We all fish the area
But really ???

No weights on their ropes no phone # or name on the floats.

I might do everyone a favour and politely move them out of the way.
This probably isn’t the “right” thing to do but I’m pretty sure they are boat renters traps.....

No weights on their ropes no phone # or name on the floats.

You could try reporting to DFO as regs require the float has a name and number. They are supposed to remove them. However based on the huge number of unmarked floats in Sooke Basin (and in the middle of the channel!!) don’t think they bother.

mud shark lift them and put them on the dock. tell marina the "navigational" hazard traps are (where they ask you to put them). and tll them No number or nothing cause I couldnt call....

As for the real stuff fishing is definatlly heating up in sooke fish are coming in steady by many boats.... and YEAH no more restrictions for size and soxs are open have fun guys

Good luck wolf

Wolf , your a nice guy. I was more thinking chucking them up on the rocks. I’d have to keep them on the boat for the duration of fishing otherwise haha.

Do you get many clients asking for sockeye?

mud shark lift them and put them on the dock. tell marina the "navigational" hazard traps are (where they ask you to put them). and tll them No number or nothing cause I couldnt call....

As for the real stuff fishing is definatlly heating up in sooke fish are coming in steady by many boats.... and YEAH no more restrictions for size and soxs are open have fun guys

Good luck wolf

Pulls a 4-9 shift this morning. 3 10 pounders at 73 on the rigger right in front of Aldridge. Lots of boats out there this morning. Lost a good one at the boat. Might’ve been 20? Sucker ripped me into backing when he first hit. That’s why it’s called fishin I guess. Looking forward to playing with no restrictions and Sox

Tips in fellas

Fished otter this morning and before my report I want to say im impressed with how courteous everyone has been having to fish in such a small area now ..im sure it will change on the weekend lol
Released 2 springs under 10lbs holding out for something larger and when the bite came on between 9-10am picked up 2 in the low 20s , 1 red and 1 white both male screamers using green gold flasher and snotty nose glow , tried for sockeye for the last hour but no luck there.

Attachments

• 20180802_115536 (640x480).jpg
    20180802_115536 (640x480).jpg
    296 KB · Views: 94
Got out for a supper fish, first trip in over a week. Caught a 21 at Aldridge on strip with my fishing partners grandson as chief fish bonker. We had him set up with the middle rod hoping for a sock or a coho but no dice. I think he had just as much fun catching krill off the dock back at Cheanuh as he did fishing!

Good fish day in Sooke but crappy seas and weed at first light. Landed 3 of 8 on the morning trip up to about 20 pounds and 5 of 8 on the afternoon trip up to 22 pounds. Challenging day to be running 3 riggers, steer the boat, avoid the weeds and deal with rods that were very active during the bites. Time for a couple of pops.
Funny how the water can be so different, Renfrew was like a duck pond and no weeds :D sox fishing was slow for those that tried, what they did catch was deep

Was fishing Otterpoint yesterday afternoon. I was surprised seeing so many boats on a weekday afternoon there which is typically a good sign. Anyhow I didn't fish long as I caught fish as soon as I got the rod in the water. So after maybe 20 min I had a 10 lbs and 17 lbs in the boat and went home again. Either I was just lucky or there was indeed lots of fish around. Both were hatchery. The smaller one was male and the other one a female. Finally some fresh caviar for my family. :)

Dam, dam dam, just when the soc open and fishing gets good a dam check motor alarm on way out this morning. Now boat less for a week.

HM

Back