Missing prawn traps

Sir Reel

Came back from Nanaimo on BC Ferries 6pm Saturday night. I saw 2 prawn traps that seemed to be adrift.
1 off Five Fingers Island and the other bottom of Bowen Island. Took a picture of the traps and then positioned them on my Garmin marine charts off my iPhone. Looks like both are in 500+ feet of water and both in the ferry traffic lanes. It seemed the ferry steered clear both times.
Any ways I think a lot of "stolen" traps just end up drifting off in strong currents or cut or caught by a passing boat. I am a rookie at prawning and have had my traps end up a few miles from where I set them. Traps are all beat up as they have been dragging bottom. Starting to learn where and when to set and to have the proper weights on.

IMG_5989 (Small).jpg IMG_5991 (Small).PNG IMG_5996 (Small).jpg IMG_5997 (Small).PNG

No I just saw them drifting as I went by in the ferry.
Don’t know what happened to them... sorry

Sir Reel saw these traps in April!!! If your looking for them now doubtful your going to find them and if you lost them after april doubtful they are yours lol. Very cool positioning them on the map though!

When the commercial guys finished off snaked on june 18th, there was nothing left anywhere that I saw around nanaimo or the ferry route back to Van. I found a set of gear couple weeks ago, 4 miles off snake, called the number and they were some happy to get it back, at first she said no, I didn;t loose my stuff. Well, this is your number and I have spotted yur gear way off snake in 700 ft of water.. so I picked it for her, and brought it into nanaimo, She had put down inside fingers, without a weight and too big a float..

Hmm.. I lost mine Monday afternoon in English Bay, closer to the sailing club area by the freighters. Got my phone number on the large red buoy, but no calls.. Kinda disappointing!

Back