DFO trys to cover up cuts to SEP and Salmon in the Schools

It should be noted that this utter foolishness was hoisted on us by the anti-science past federal government. Ripples that are still affecting us through time. I will never again support them until a full cleanout of these people occours, something that has not happened yet as far as I can see.

They have been cutting since 1996, That oh what? 20 plus years now? The effectiveness of hatcheries is well debated, With poor survival rates and some pristine habitat going completely unused by salmon. The cost benefit analyzes of putting into habitat restoration/ Hatchery production VS what you get out in GDP is very poor. Not worth the investment for pro economic governments. At 10% ocean survival rates it was far better bang for buck.

Harper Decimated the biologists in DFO, And Crusty put in so much pro development legislator

Salmon habitat was put in the rear view mirror by both past Federal and Provincial governments.

The Federal Liberals have started to undo a lot of it (something That I am very happy with), but the provincial NDP government still seems to be pro housing development and more importantly pro urban development by fast tracking development permits.

Last edited:
They have been cutting since 1996, That oh what? 20 plus years now? The effectiveness of hatcheries is well debated, With poor survival rates and some pristine habitat going completely unused by salmon. The cost benefit analyzes of putting into habitat restoration/ Hatchery production VS what you get out in GDP is very poor. Not worth the investment for pro economic governments. At 10% ocean survival rates it was far better bang for buck.

Harper Decimated the biologists in DFO, And Crusty put in so much pro development legislator

Salmon habitat was put in the rear view mirror by both past Federal and Provincial governments.

The Federal Liberals have started to undo a lot of it (something That I am very happy with), but the provincial NDP government still seems to be pro housing development and more importantly pro urban development by fast tracking development permits.
Can't say that I disagree on that. The fire was lit back in the 90's and both brands of government have poured gas on the fire and here we are trying to undo the damage and live with the consequences.

I tried to read through the documents - interesting task. This is one of the most non-specific sentences I have come across in ages o_O.

"Under a renewed Fisheries Act, there would be a new regulation-making authority for the consideration of restoration as a priority for offsetting projects."

I tried to read through the documents - interesting task. This is one of the most non-specific sentences I have come across in ages o_O.

"Under a renewed Fisheries Act, there would be a new regulation-making authority for the consideration of restoration as a priority for offsetting projects."
I'd be interested in for what, and for whom will it benefit? guaranteed the sport fisher is not in the equation.

I agree the Harper regime , was probably one of the worst we have had, one that's damage done,will take decades to repair, if indeed the Governments' will is there to even try.

The Liberals are not in anyway innocent either, they too are playing a dangerous political game with the fisheries. They too are ignoring science in order to chase a naive agenda.
Many have voiced opinion on what how DFO's mandate should be, personally I feel that DFO's mandate should be redone with emphasis on providing good science and management without political sway for sustainable fisheries, fisheries that are fair and equitable to all Canadians.

Back