Harbour seals are easy scapegoats in Chinook salmon decline

Opposition to a Cull is building. Georgia Strait Alliance is now speaking out against it. Seems like they found the answer just simply stop fishing.

upload_2018-8-1_8-21-7.png
upload_2018-8-1_8-21-29.png
upload_2018-8-1_8-26-7.png
upload_2018-8-1_8-27-33.png

Scape goats NOTHING!

I've fished and guided our coastlines for dam near 60 years. From north to south east to west throughout BCs Coast.

There used to be a time where we would point to a Seal and say, " hey look...... Cool a Seal " .
Then their numbers started to increase TEN FOLD when DFO shut down the culling . Orcas were also captured for Aquariums....... We also started to see greater numbers of Seals...... Every where. More and more often we would finally hook into a Salmon and VAVOOM ...... Shanghied by a Seal ...... More and more often our catches were then caught by Seals. Days of hooking multiple fish, 50-75 % lost to Seals. Slingshot lead to the head wasn't effective. It became apparent that the SEAL populations were hugely increasing.

Fast forward to today, modern times. Heading out on the North arm of the Fraser multiple times early May through April we would count no less then thirty Seals at the mouth. Hammering the smolts.

Yet DFO needs to be politically correct and NOT ADDRESS THE TRUE reasons for Salmon declines. Seals, FN nets being the main culprits.

There used to be a time where we would point to a Seal and say, " hey look...... Cool a Seal " .

True

They say no to everything so its not a surprise.

If GSA is doing it, you can expect david suzuki and the others won't be far behind. They already have full time people on social media talking against a cull and why it wont work. Posting science ect..

I guess they must be a bit worried there is some teeth behind the cull now that some First Nation bands are on board.

If GSA is doing it, you can expect david suzuki and the others won't be far behind. They already have full time people on social media talking against a cull and why it wont work. Posting science ect..

I guess they must be a bit worried there is some teeth behind the cull now that some First Nation bands are on board.

No GSA, and Suzuki are just pawns of Ecojustice but I believe there is a mother ship driving them hooked into the US that don't want the pipeline to go in. As far as First nations fully aboard not so sure I think that is a far stretch. What is interesting is we are seeing a lot off efforts in social media to make a lot of "noise" which makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Hasn't anyone noticed that certain media outlets are essentially not dropping the orca whale death story. It's all timed out. The big mistake though in the little plan is they are trying to go after northern resident whales which is going to be a tough battle for them. They also are very aware that DFO is really listening about the seal predator issue.

No GSA, and Suzuki are just pawns of Ecojustice but I believe there is a mother ship driving them hooked into the US that don't want the pipeline to go in. As far as First nations fully aboard not so sure I think that is a far stretch. What is interesting is we are seeing a lot off efforts in social media to make a lot of "noise" which makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Hasn't anyone noticed that certain media outlets are essentially not dropping the orca whale death story. It's all timed out. The big mistake though in the little plan is they are trying to go after northern resident whales which is going to be a tough battle for them. They also are very aware that DFO is really listening about the seal predator issue.

Bingo!!

It must be QAnon. Think about it.... it all makes sense now.

There should be a cull on nuissance seals, the ones that have trained themselves to demolish Salmon in the rivers nearbye fish ladders or river alterations. Let these salmon have a chance. A 4 year trial would provide answers and put this article to rest.

The Dump Bears of the Sea have been hard at it in recent years. My crab traps of Salmon heads carcasses and even baited with chicken get Hammered by these critters. Brutal. Pretty dam sad when I chartered my floats were bouncing one after another as the Dump Bears flipped the traps back and forth in attempts to retrieve the baits....... Needless to say when Steel heading and Coho fishing I've seen them in the Vedder as high up as the limit hole , Seleeese creek, just hammering fish.

Yet DFO turns a blind eye.

Shame on them and their mismanagement over the years and turning a blind eye.

Back